My poor thing dropped a limb! Help!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

KellyCrabbieLove

Re: My poor thing dropped a limb! Help!

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:12 am

I hit that point in the beginning. I was sitting in front of my 55 considering giving up. I pushed through it since I enjoyed my crabs so much. That was about a month or 2 in. I have been crabbing for a year and a half and can't imagine not having them. Something I have found to be helpful is feeding almost completely dried foods or honey based foods. I can put their food together 2 feedings at a time. I just put the second bowl away and swap it out the next time it needs it. Then I can do it again the next time. Larger pools don't go bad as quickly so they don't cause as much stress as little ones. There are ways to save time and let both you and your crabs be happy and relaxed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:42 pm

Those are great suggestions Kelly!

I also suffered mass losses in my exotic tank due to shell rot and I quit for years. I got rid of everything I had (I'd kept it for years too, thinking I would sell it or use it for something). Now that I've started up again I've had to start from scratch. Now I can't even remember the feeling of not wanting to be a crabber anymore. I'm not saying I made a "wrong" choice-just an expensive one.
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:50 pm

Thanks. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Topic author
parker_roo

Post by parker_roo » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:34 pm

Hey everyone! Merry Christmas first of all, but I wanted to update you on my hermit crab situation. I did consider for a little bit to stop the crabbing adventures, but I have decided to keep going at it. I especially decided this when my family got me two more hermit crabs for Christmas! I want to try to finish my 55 gallon tank and keep my crabs healthy! I want to thank all of you for your help and encouragement through my loss of my hermit crabs. But I still have two, plus two more from Christmas. So I'm excited to continue on!
***Let the crabby adventures begin!***

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:37 pm

You sound very excited about continuing on, I'm so happy for you! Congrats on the two newbies. :D
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:21 pm

Glad you're staying in the crabbing family, parker_roo...it's a hard "addiction" to quit 'cause once you've been entranced by a pair of stalk-eyes, it's almost impossible to turn away :lol: !
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster