Molting or just buried?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
casssch

Molting or just buried?

Post by casssch » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:17 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? playsand and ee mixed, 7-8 inches in a 20 gal tall

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? 71 degrees, 80% humidity, front of tank furthest from heaters

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? One large uth on the back wall, one small uth on a side, both above the substrate. Back uth is covered with foil and cardboard

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Both, well water, can't remember salt mix. Both in fairly large dishes.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? Fresh-frozen veggies, unseasoned hamburger, egg, eggshell, shredded coconut, and other various foods I can't recall right now.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? PP, 9 months

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? It's molted at least once, immediately. I think it was finishing a molt, but I am unsure.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 20 gallon tall, wire lid covered in foil, topped with towels for insulation

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 3 crabs. I'm really not sure on their sizes. The one in question is possibly teeny sized, the other two are small, one might be a medium.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? Over 20, though I need some bigger ones

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? Food check, water every couple days, deep cleans rarely

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? I'm very hands off with them

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. Short version: I don't know if my crab was molting.

The two bigger crabs had kicked around all the extra shells, totally destroyed the insides of the tank. I decided to to a thorough cleaned of the tank, and after thinking I accounted for all the shells, I proceeded to mix up the substrate to remoisten it towards the bottom. I found Teeny towards the bottom of the substrate, no exo in sight. Color on the bp looks bright. However, past that I cannot see. Teeny is quite small, and is technically too small for the shell. I don't have any small enough, but he/she doesn't even choose the smaller shells I have. I know Teeny has gotten bigger as I can now at least see the bp in the shell whereas the shell used to look empty with him/her in it. Teeny is quite unsocial and does not like to come out of the shell while there's an audience, so I can't check for sharp nails or anything like that. I put her/him in iso with small dishes of both water, and some food in an eggshell. I covered the tank so it's as dark as possible, since that seems to be the advice for a crab who is for sure molting. How can I tell if he/she is molting or still needs in iso?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Molting or just buried?

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:32 pm

If the crab was buried, it needs isoed. Give him at least three days to see what happens. If the water dishes are used, food is missing, and/or the tank is trashed he should be okay to go back in with the others after a dip in the freshwater bowl. Since you don't know where in the molt cycle he's at, he could still be weak and recovering, or about to surface molt. I have lost crabs and have had others injured by rushing them back too soon. It never hurts to iso until you know for sure they're acting normal!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram