My Hermit Crabs Are Very Weak

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
KittyKatN

My Hermit Crabs Are Very Weak

Post by KittyKatN » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:11 pm

My hermit crabs barely move unless I pick them up and set them somewhere.... When I do that they'll wander around, but don't move very fast. They used to move quicker and I don't know what happened. When one tried to climb a rock I put in there, not only did he move slowly, but he kept falling even though it wasn't steep and it had plenty of creases for him to hook a leg in so he could climb it. Also, can someone send me the link to the questions that I answer so that I can better help you guys understand what could be wrong?

AutumnHermie

Re: My Hermit Crabs Are Very Weak

Post by AutumnHermie » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:27 pm

Wen did you get the crabs? Being lethargic can mean PPS if you just got them, or if condition aren't right.

PPS article: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=92531

Question template: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46102
Owner of 12 PP's , 4 Blue's, and 2 straw's.

Topic author
KittyKatN

Post by KittyKatN » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:42 pm

I've had them for three years.
1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Reptile sand 6 inches
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
No, but I have one.
3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Yes, a bulb.
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
both/ treated/ All living things/ 7 drops per bottle
5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
greens, fruit, meat/ every day
6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
3 years PP
7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
One molted a month ago
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
40 gallon glass with mesh lid
9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
7 medium-large
10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no
12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
6 months, replace substrate and boil decor
13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no
14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
no
15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
none

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:23 pm

I see a few things are off with your conditions. Check out out the Care Sheet Section. There's a lot of important info covered there.

First thing, get a thermometer and a hydrometer so you can monitor temperature and humidity. If these are not within proper range the crabs can become sluggish and ill.

Reptile sand is not a suitable substrate. Play sand is not only better but it's also much cheaper. Cocofiber is another safe substrate. Many crabbers use a mix of the two.

For saltwater you really want a marine-grade mix sold for saltwater aquariums, like Instant Ocean. The kinds sold specifically for hermit crabs are lacking many elements that are found in the marine mixes and many contain dyes or other possibly harmful ingredients.

There's a lot more detailed info in the Care Sheet section, so please check it out as soon as you have the time. :)