MY CRABS LEGS ARE FALLING OFF!!!!!!!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
fenixfir.95

MY CRABS LEGS ARE FALLING OFF!!!!!!!

Post by fenixfir.95 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:25 pm

I bought my crab from a fair 2 1/2 weeks ago. Since then I've been doing all the research i can to find out what i thought i needed to know to be able to take care of him properly (mostly internet, none of the people i talked to could tell me anything about them). I just got a tank last night and changed him over to it (its a 10 gallon glass aquarium). Now his legs are falling off, he's lost 2 so far. I don't know if its to warm for him, if he's stressed and how to help him, if he's lonely and needs a companion. He's been hiding in his shell for the 2 1/2 weeks I've had him, he hasn't eaten or drinken anything. He seemed fine when i got him but somethings wrong and I'm really scared he's going to die. PLEASE help! :cry:

Topic author
fenixfir.95

Re: MY CRABS LEGS ARE FALLING OFF!!!!!!!

Post by fenixfir.95 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:31 pm

Please? his 2 claws and remaining leg are curled out of his shell now but he still won't bring his body out

GabyRaven

Post by GabyRaven » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:53 pm

How deep is your sub? Are you offering other shells for him to switch into? What's the humidity and temp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
fenixfir.95

Post by fenixfir.95 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:02 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
calcium sand and jungle soil? (chopped up, ground up coconut shell). its about 1 1/2 - 2 inches deep now (i was told it was to deep before so when i moved him to a bigger tank i didn't buy anymore).
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
I have temp two temp gauges, one on either side of the tank (by the light and away from it) one of them also does humidity. temp is 82 and humidity is 80-90% but its dropping to 40 at night and I'm not sure how to keep it up.
3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
i have a 2 watt hermit crab heating mat placed the outside wall and a 50 watt inferred heating lamp.
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
fresh water and i use chemical free bottled water.
5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I just bought some crab food from the store. but i was feeding him fruits veggies, ground almond and egg shell ect.
6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
2 1/2 weeks, its a PP
7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
no
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
10 gallon glass aquarium
9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
there are now 2 but was only one
10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
5 all different sizes
11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no
12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
haven't needed to yet but when i do i was planing on using boiling.
13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
yes one and just with clean water (not sure how else to clean it.
14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
the whole thing is new except the sub his house and food/water dishes.
15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
I've only seen him twice since i brought him home but he liked being talked to and swimming in his little pond area but he's not dong anything now.
16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
he's finally come out of his shell but he's not moving at all. his antenna are all folded into his shell and he's just frozen. he lost 2 legs (he only had 3 to start with), one on either side, yesterday. now he has no legs on the side of the little pincher and 1 on the purple pincher side. i was told that maybe he was probably bored/lonely and needed a friend so i got him one and when i brought Juno home is when Sebastian started coming out (within the hour). He hasn't moved since.
HCADirectors

Last edited by fenixfir.95 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
fenixfir.95

Post by fenixfir.95 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:04 pm

the sub is about 1 1/2 -2 inches deep ad probably 3 in some places

MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:10 pm

Mine did the same exact & I hate to tell you :(((

Topic author
fenixfir.95

Post by fenixfir.95 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:03 pm

what happened to yours? I got him a friend because i thought it might help coax him out but that ones buried itself to and i just got him today. Im not sure what to do.

MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:24 pm

He passed :( away. It was tragic. Poor thing. Everytime I checked on him he lost a limb & then slowly unresponsive.

Good luck :?

Topic author
fenixfir.95

Post by fenixfir.95 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:26 pm

any advise on the second one i got this morning and why he's buried himself? My first one, Sebastian, I've never had one before or known anyone who's had one. reading all the stuff on here i feel like he wasn't in the best conditions before. i had him in a plastic tote with the sand and coconut stuff, a sea sponge and water dish, a little pond kind of area, food, and a 2 watt UTH that really didn't give off much heat. was also misting him a bunch because i don't know how else to give him the humidity he needs.

MsWorld

Post by MsWorld » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:21 pm

Most crabs will bury themselves to de stress. It is completely normal.

A few things I would do is get your substrate up to at least 6 inches. They need the substrate to dig down and molt.

The other thing is - get rid of the sponge. It is not needed and will only create bacteria. If you do want a sponge for them to chew on. Then just put a small dry clean piece in the tank.

Personally if I had one losing legs I probably would not have put another one in with it just in case it's sick. When they are losing legs that usually isn't a good sign. But a lot of crabs have recovered from losing legs so don't give up yet.

Good luck!

Topic author
fenixfir.95

Post by fenixfir.95 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:35 pm

ok, id read that the burying was a way they get rid of stress but my first one did that and isn't doing so well now and i was told that if he was lonely that could be a reason why he buried himself. So, no sea sponge? and How much of what can be found online is accurate? (roughly)

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:52 pm

Hi! (Mod)

Check out our care guides.

Sponges do not create dangerous bacteria for crabs. If they get nasty they could make immune compromised persons ill, but this myth has been debunked.

Crabs are scavengers and eat decaying flesh and organisms in the wild.

Any sponges in the tank should be 100% natural sea sponges that have not been treated or bleached.

They don't add anything to the tank and crabs don't need them to drink out of.

Check out all of the care guides and fill out the emergency template when you get the chance.

I will link them below.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:53 pm

Topic author
fenixfir.95

Post by fenixfir.95 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:59 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
calcium sand and jungle soil? (chopped up, ground up coconut shell). its about 1 1/2 - 2 inches deep now (i was told it was to deep before so when i moved him to a bigger tank i didn't buy anymore).
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
I have temp two temp gauges, one on either side of the tank (by the light and away from it) one of them also does humidity. temp is 82 and humidity is 80-90% but its dropping to 40 at night and I'm not sure how to keep it up.
3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
i have a 2 watt hermit crab heating mat placed the outside wall and a 50 watt inferred heating lamp.
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
fresh water and i use chemical free bottled water.
5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I just bought some crab food from the store. but i was feeding him fruits veggies, ground almond and egg shell ect.
6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
2 1/2 weeks, its a PP
7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
no
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
10 gallon glass aquarium
9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
there are now 2 but was only one
10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
5 all different sizes
11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no
12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
haven't needed to yet but when i do i was planing on using boiling.
13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
yes one and just with clean water (not sure how else to clean it.
14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
the whole thing is new except the sub his house and food/water dishes.
15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
I've only seen him twice since i brought him home but he liked being talked to and swimming in his little pond area but he's not dong anything now.
16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
he's finally come out of his shell but he's not moving at all. his antenna are all folded into his shell and he's just frozen. he lost 2 legs (he only had 3 to start with), one on either side, yesterday. now he has no legs on the side of the little pincher and 1 on the purple pincher side. i was told that maybe he was probably bored/lonely and needed a friend so i got him one and when i brought Juno home is when Sebastian started coming out (within the hour). He hasn't moved since.
HCADirectors

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:34 am

Hello! A few things I noticed off of the bat are
1. Calcium sand is not good to use. From what I hear it hardens. You want to use a ratio of 5:1 play sand to Eco earth. (Moisten with saltwater made below to sandcastle consisentcy).
2. Substrate should be at least 3 times deeper than your largest crab. If they dig, they can be destressing or molting.
3. Hermits need Fw that has been declorinated, not bottled water. ( I use Prime ).
4. Hermits need Sw that has been mixed using Marine grade salt ( I use instant ocean ).
5. Water should be deep enough for hc to submerge into.
6. You can put air stones in the water to help with humidity.
7. I would recommend more shells :)
8. Don't feed store bought he food. It is made with poisonous chemicals.
9. Supply a good calcium & protein source for them. I use egg shells, mealworms, fish. Chicken, eggg. (You can refer to forums for more suggestions).

You didn't respond as to what kind of lid you used. I would imagine you have a screen bc of your light. I would try using aluminum foil to cover some of the top of your tank to help with humidity. Also, digital gauges are better than analog. You are taking all of the right steps to make sure your hermit has a great home! Keep your head up, and remember to not handle them. That stresses them out more. Your hc could be suffering from PPS. Good luck! We are here for you! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com