Bubbles

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
MadiCrab

Bubbles?!?

Post by MadiCrab » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:51 pm

What in the world is this?! Please someone tell me if they have seen this before??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
MadiCrab

Re: Bubbles?!?

Post by MadiCrab » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:55 pm

This signs of molting?!??

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:56 pm

Do u have a pic??

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:57 pm

Kermie16 wrote:Do u have a pic??

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:57 pm

That's him sitting there and bubbles coming out the top!

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:27 pm

Hard to see from pic. Does it seem like the bubbles are coming from around his mouth? Also, if u can fill out the emergency template, that would also be most helpful. Assuming he is not in the pool on sitting on or near cholla? If that is the case, I do think it is an emergency as I have heard bubbles coming from hermies could be a sign of stress, respiratory distress or other illness. I am hoping a more experienced crabber will be able to chime in here. Again, go ahead and fill out the emergency template and hopefully it will give us a better clue as to what may be going on.

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:27 pm

Kermie16 wrote:Hard to see from pic. Does it seem like the bubbles are coming from around his mouth? Also, if u can fill out the emergency template, that would also be most helpful. Assuming he is not in the pool on sitting on or near cholla? If that is the case, I do think it is an emergency as I have heard bubbles coming from hermies could be a sign of stress, respiratory distress or other illness. I am hoping a more experienced crabber will be able to chime in here. Again, go ahead and fill out the emergency template and hopefully it will give us a better clue as to what may be going on.

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:28 pm

It's covering his eyes & body. All you see is claws

mool

Post by mool » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:35 pm

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've never heard of a crab surviving after it has foamed like that.

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:36 pm

Sigh wow. Have u seen this or heard this before?!

Topic author
MadiCrab

Bubbles

Post by MadiCrab » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:49 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? -Sand and coconut fiber mixture. 5-6in or so

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? -Humidity is usually
around 81. Temp 81

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? -Heat lamp & heating pad above sub

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? -Fresh and salt water is available. I use api stress for all water.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? -vegetables, fruit, protein. Fresh food most every day.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? -Purple pincher & about 3 months

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? -Not w me.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? -20 gal small in size. Metal screen top w suran wrap.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? -2 sort of large & him 3 total

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? - 8-10

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? -No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? -I do maintenance usually once a month or so.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? -No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? -No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? Pretty much Hands free

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. - his eyes are covered in bubbles. All I can see is his claws. I saw his antennas moving a little bet ago.

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:05 pm

mool wrote:Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've never heard of a crab surviving after it has foamed like that.
What causes this and what should you do in this situation, iso the crab?

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:49 pm

This has been discussed maybe twice in my two years here.

When the foam happens, the crab is not likely to make it.

I don't recall if the reason was determined.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

Topic author
MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:51 pm

soilentgringa wrote:This has been discussed maybe twice in my two years here.

When the foam happens, the crab is not likely to make it.

I don't recall if the reason was determined.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk
ImageImage

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:58 pm

If they are clear like bubbles it could be few things, either he is frothing the shell water in his shell helping clean it or frothing it as a defensive move, since they will often push water out of their shells when picked up. Or it could be a male hermit crab and the bubbles could be his Spermatophore, because there has been observations of mating land hermit crabs before and clear to whitish foam/bubbles were present. (I have personally witness this as well here in our rescue)
If the bubbles are brownish and or foul smelling then action needs to be taken now. The brown bubbles are a sign of an injured or extremely stressed hermit crab who is either too hot or too dry or both.
Make sure the tank is not more than 82 degrees F, and if it is near that then try to lower the temp to more around 77 to allow the crab to properly acclimate to the heat.
Also make sure there is enough humidity in the tank, 75%-85% relative is the range which will be best for the crab.
Now he also may have a very dirty shell which is causing irritation of his abdomen, in this case, make sure the water pools you have provided are deep and large enough that he can get down into the water and fully submerse himself to clean out his shell.
He will be ok as long as you can get him stabilized and comfortable. Here are some tips to help you along...
I would not over handle the crab at this time and allow him to de-stress. When pet owners get new crabs it is important to allow the crab 2 weeks or so to get used to his new environment with very little human contact except for the food and water change and spot cleaning.
Stress will also be alleviated if you get at least one other tank mate for him, because since he is a wild exotic crustacean it is important to provide a natural habitat in his best interests. Since he was just taken from a colony of 100 or more and then placed into the hands of the commercial pet industry and then home with you, he is under a lot of stress and is scared/not happy. Hermit crab always do much better with at least one other tank mate, 3 is usually best, but at least one will give him someone to bond with and help him thrive and be encouraged to be active.
Make sure you provide both fresh and natural oceanic/marine salt waters both of which must be de-chlorinated. They must have salt water available to them... they are beach and shore dwelling creatures.
Foods that are best are fresh fruits, veggies, meats, fish and whole grains, and never offer the same things two times in a row.

I sure hope some of this has helpped you. Depending on the color of the actual bubbles, clear/whitish you have nothing to worry about too much and the brownish you need to act on.

Now if it is a bubble that is attached to it's abdomen that is another entire thing, but I will wait to see if this information that I have offered you today has helpped you some.

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."