Molt buddies gone wrong? [emoji30]

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Molt buddies gone wrong? [emoji30]

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:14 am

I'd shared about my 2 mediums coming up on Sunday (a week ago) after about 3 wks down. Both were just hiding behind a plant when I found them. They stayed hiding in the coconut hut after that most the week n I noticed no food eatin or water touched all week. My 3rd n finally baby crab is down n been down longer than they had. They are not in the ideal situation in calcium sand I bought when we got them 5 months ago Image. We just got our bigger tank after Christmas n been slowly gettin things together (financially couldn't do it any other way). At first I thought they were just staying huddled up together Bc it's the only real hiding place in there but I'm concerned the more I think about it Bc one crab seems be stronger n in better molting shape than other n I don't want him to hurt the weaker one. I'm goin quickly remove the coconut, give u a idea what we are dealing with, how they are positioned and you tell me if I need to ISO!
Trying figure out how to copy the template here as well to answer questions.
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Re: Molt buddies gone wrong? [emoji30]

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:29 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Calcium 2inches-6inches

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they read?

Have one non digital on side but I have used a Accurite digital in center and just got a new one for larger tank I moved over to get accurate reading the last couple days as needed.
Temp: 76degrees
Humidity: 99% (has always stayed really high n I have leave piece of glass lid open from time to time)

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

UTH back of tank & insulated

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Zoomed fresh water
Instant ocean saltwater

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Lots of HCP n fruits/vegs

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
6 months, all 3 PP's

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

Yes twice just 2-3 weeks if that long

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

10 gallon, glass lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

3 PP's (2 medium, 1 small)

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

Right now about 6 (have much more but have be getting things ready to transition)

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Just clean top level, vinegar paper towel to wipe sides, clean out food/water

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
No

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Explained above with pictures.

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:08 am

Highnmighty217 wrote:1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Calcium 2inches-6inches

H: Sand needs to be 3x your biggest crabs height and at least 6 inches. Also as soon as your other crab is up chuck the calci sand and use play sand. You can find it from any hardware store (cheap) mix this in a 5:1 ration sand to eco earth.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they read?

Have one non digital on side but I have used a Accurite digital in center and just got a new one for larger tank I moved over to get accurate reading the last couple days as needed.
Temp: 76degrees
Humidity: 99% (has always stayed really high n I have leave piece of glass lid open from time to time)

H: Ok You definitely need to calibrate that hydrometer as I think it's In correct. I do t have a link but just search it in this forum.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

UTH back of tank & insulated

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Zoomed fresh water
Instant ocean saltwater

H: I'm not sure about zoomed but hopefully another crabber will chime in- I use spring water or dechlorinated water.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Lots of HCP n fruits/vegs

H: Make sure you have lots of calcium In there diet (cuttlebone or oyster shell) as well as protein from dead insects and meats and fish.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
6 months, all 3 PP's

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

Yes twice just 2-3 weeks if that long

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

10 gallon, glass lid

H: I would recommend a bigger tank it is a bit overcrowded. You mentioned financially getting stuff was a problem (I know it's crazy expensive) so you can get a tank off of of Craigslist, let go, Mercari etc.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

3 PP's (2 medium, 1 small)

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

Right now about 6 (have much more but have be getting things ready to transition)

H: 3 per crab minimum.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Just clean top level, vinegar paper towel to wipe sides, clean out food/water

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
No

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Explained above with pictures.

Use a plastic water bottle cut in half with the lid off for air flow. Stick it into the sand around the weaker molter. Put some moss in the bottle to keep up humidity. Also drop a few prices of cuttlebone in.

I responded to the template using H. Hope this helpsImage

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:36 am

New tank is exciting! Do you have an idea of how long it'll be til it's ready?

A higher temp would be a good thing. But I imagine you know that. :)

I don't think you have to worry about your crabs molting together. They naturally will separate when they need to do their thing... it's an instinct thing, I'd expect.

Hermiearth has a point about sand depth, but I almost wonder if you really want to promote molting in a calcium sand mix. The danger with calcium sand fusing when wet seems more serious when you've got molters. There isnt any coconut coir mixed in, is there? I wonder if that might improve the safety at all, if you added some where the sand is lower.

Anyone have thoughts on how to handle potential molts in the short term, til the baby comes up, but before the new tank is ready?

I do think you want to leave them to themselves... stressing them won't help their molts, and may induce burrowing, when you'd really prefer they not (if they can help it :roll: ).
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:32 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:New tank is exciting! Do you have an idea of how long it'll be til it's ready?

A higher temp would be a good thing. But I imagine you know that. :)

I don't think you have to worry about your crabs molting together. They naturally will separate when they need to do their thing... it's an instinct thing, I'd expect.

Hermiearth has a point about sand depth, but I almost wonder if you really want to promote molting in a calcium sand mix. The danger with calcium sand fusing when wet seems more serious when you've got molters. There isnt any coconut coir mixed in, is there? I wonder if that might improve the safety at all, if you added some where the sand is lower.

Anyone have thoughts on how to handle potential molts in the short term, til the baby comes up, but before the new tank is ready?

I do think you want to leave them to themselves... stressing them won't help their molts, and may induce burrowing, when you'd really prefer they not (if they can help it :roll: ).
True LadyJingleJones! I am aware of their conditions (heat/calcium,etc) in this 10 gallon. It's been a while that they've all been up at same time! I have heat/humidity stable in new tank with about 10inches of play sand/EE. Final step of that today n moving heat source up further on back of tank. I need finish water bowls. So with them 'on top' of sub they should be ok n I can move them as soon as basics as set up in new tank? No fear of one tryin molt and other one hurting him?

If not, mod please move this to molting and out of Emergency. Not sure why I'm freakin out so much!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:07 pm

Okay, since you are worried, why don't you do the soda bottle iso? The green turbo definitely looks like he's trying to build a molting cave, but that the sand isn't deep enough. It might turn into a surface molt.

on another note, definitely not necessary to prop open glass lid. My humidity gets to 99% too. More shells are needed. HCA recommends min of 3-5 per crab. Do you have the shell guide? Here it is so you buy the right kind: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 24&t=92552

Good luck! Your new tank is coming along nice in the other posts..they are going to love it!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Yes I believe I do have enough shells and I have to right kind of shells (of course learned hard way along the way) I did however realize when pulling out my stash I had more smaller ones then medium. I definitely have the 3-5 per crab but probably do need to look into gettin more to grow into.

So do I not move them? They still are not moving from the hut. Not drinking/eating or checking out shells. Nothing. I don't believe he can have successful molt in this tank obviously he's settin in about 2inches of calcium. Should I move him to new tank give him a better chance? Or no Bc possible surface molt?

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:34 pm

Highnmighty217 wrote:Yes I believe I do have enough shells and I have to right kind of shells (of course learned hard way along the way) I did however realize when pulling out my stash I had more smaller ones then medium. I definitely have the 3-5 per crab but probably do need to look into gettin more to grow into.

So do I not move them? They still are not moving from the hut. Not drinking/eating or checking out shells. Nothing. I don't believe he can have successful molt in this tank obviously he's settin in about 2inches of calcium. Should I move him to new tank give him a better chance? Or no Bc possible surface molt?

I doubt at that stage he would be able to dig down. Moving him could cause a lot of stress.

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:02 pm

Where can I find the soda pop idea? We don't drink pop so I would go out n get like a 20oz? Clean out with water vinegar?

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:14 pm

Highnmighty217 wrote:Where can I find the soda pop idea? We don't drink pop so I would go out n get like a 20oz? Clean out with water vinegar?

Oh can use a simple plastic bottle as well ;)

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:15 pm

Like a water bittle

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:23 pm

It should be a 2 litter bottle cause it has to have room for the crab and a place to out bottle caps of fresh and salt water.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Ok so does need be a 2-liter. Will head out shortly n go grab that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mool

Post by mool » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:18 pm

Ask your friends or neighbors for one!

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Ok got Crabbie ISO with 2-liter. Gave him salt/fresh water and good source protein! He ended up either drinking OR knocking over both bottle caps and is now dug down as far as he can get. Image The 2-liter looks bent as if he was trying to escape....I've covered the tank to keep it dark. How long do I leave him? How do I know when he's ready to come out?

I move other Crab and she seems more than happy not to be sharing the coconut shell and has not tried to bury down at all (she was the stronger of the 2 n seemed to have had a good molt)