Molt buddies gone wrong? [emoji30]

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Hermiearth

Re: Molt buddies gone wrong? [emoji30]

Post by Hermiearth » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:22 pm

He will come out and move around when he's ready to come out of the bottle and he won't look pale or soft. You can put some moss in to raise some humidity. I couldn't see the top of the bottle in the pic but just make sure the top is off to regulate air flow ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:26 pm

WOW!! No the top wasn't cut out. I figured with top on it would hold humidity!! So he's been in there a good....6hrs like that....not to mention I probably had bottle pushed down to far in sub. Surprised he's still alive...I thought I posted this in Emergency...maybe Mod has moved it to Molting...

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:35 pm

Highnmighty217 wrote:WOW!! No the top wasn't cut out. I figured with top on it would hold humidity!! So he's been in there a good....6hrs like that....not to mention I probably had bottle pushed down to far in sub. Surprised he's still alive...I thought I posted this in Emergency...maybe Mod has moved it to Molting...

It's ok- I'm glad we caught it In time. Just poke a lot of holes in the bottle and you should be good- moss will help keep the humidity up.

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:35 pm

And for me it still is in emergency (:

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:43 am

Not necessary to poke holes. The cap being off of the top will be enough. I would give him the coconut hide. To me, he looks like he was the one digging the molting cave more in the first picture. When they are getting ready to molt, not necessary to provide water, food. If he becomes active, then remove the soda bottle, he's obviously not wanting to molt right now. :)

We were doing all of this to be safe because you were worried ;)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:44 am

Thank you everyone! GB, Y'all have been more than helpful, I had s moment of oh dang it! So much to learn! I've Got some momma crab guilt!

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:18 pm

Don't worry about it! We all had to learn at some point!

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:38 pm

I wanna say I don't know how you experienced crabbers deal with us new crab owners!! Lots of grace n patience for sure! In my experience and reading some posts in 'New Crabbers' the one thing that really stands out to me is 9xs out of 10 if it's deal with molting or weird behavior...leave the crab alone!! N our impulse is to 'help' n rescue n that's the farthest from what they need.
After Crabby (crab I was concerned about) escaped from the 2-liter enclosure he came up grabbed him something to eat/drink n buried back down (not molt style) more like 'my owner is stressing me out style) So needless to say his buddy is doin great n now he's got his strength back as well! I 'believe' he was post molt wore out but looking at him I question if he got a good molt. Either way, time will tell and I'll leave him be!
Again, what y'all are doin here is nothing short of awesome in helping people!

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:56 pm

I'm glad you figured everything out!!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:20 pm

We are all here to help one another out ;) No worries! Hands off is always what works best unless it is an emergency! :) Molting takes time, so unless he has sharp black pointy tips, really hairy legs and brilliant color, it was probably just a digging thing. ;)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:21 am

I'll be in honest, since you know you have your new tank that is almost done, I would just remove most of the calcium sand and hope they molt in the new tank. I think your best bet is trying to finish your tank with the correct specs, and get them into that. That way you aren't stressing over crab juggling. Plus it can be a pain to wait for them to finish molting to move them over.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:28 am

True! Good point! :)

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:38 pm

You are right Rawrgeous ! Littlest guy came up this morning so should have everyone moved over by this evening!

daws409

Post by daws409 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:43 pm

Yay! I'm so excited for you!

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:46 pm

Yay!! So glad everything worked out- I'm sure the crabs will love there new home!