Naked Crab After Trying On Shells

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Lephantome92

Naked Crab After Trying On Shells

Post by Lephantome92 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:59 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
-A mix of mostly sand with some cocoa fiber, roughly 4". The tank is both front- and top-opening, so deeper than that may make filling it deeper hard without substrate falling through cracks
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
-Only one for temp, back upper corner opposite the heated side. Usually between 70-75, but debating getting a higher wattage light bulb
3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
-Incandescent bulb and Repti-sun bulb during the day, moonlight bulb at night, and an UTH on the warm side all the time
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
-Both fresh and salt, made with Zoo-Med drops
5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
-A mix of pellets and fresh food, usually replaced within 2-3 days
6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
-Just over a week, I'm assuming PP judging by...their purple pincers
7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
-I was told they finished molting just before I adopted them
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
-It's about 30 gallons, and has a screen top on the parts not covered by the heat hood
9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
-3, and their shell openings are probably 3/4"
10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
-6 that are about their size
11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
-None that I know of
12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
-I haven't cleaned it yet
13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
-There's a sponge in the fresh water tank, haven't cleaned it yet
14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
-Two cracked terracotta pots. The naked crab is currently hiding in the smaller one. I also added several shells for them to try on
15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
-When I adopted the crabs, they just had the incandescent bulb for heat. Their substrate was half dry sand, half cypress wood chips, and the alternate shells weren't the right kind or too big. I got them Wednesday. Thursday I changed their substrate, Friday I got a little more substrate and completely rang out the sponge, Saturday I bathed them and misted their cage, Tuesday I got the heat lights, and yesterday I put in the pots and shells

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
-Yesterday I boiled, cooled, and gave some shells to my crabs. Since I've had them, only one has been very adventurous (Leif); one tunnels (Tarzan) and the other just sits exactly where he was in the tank, hanging out some (Shy Guy). The major issue, though, is the Leif. When I put in the new shells, he was happy trying some on, I even watched Leif move from the second shell back to his original shell. However, now he's out of his original shell, which is near the back, and in the middle of the tank, under the small pot. If the old shell's opening is towards the glass, should I position it with the opening facing him just outside the pot?
-Since I'm here, Shy Guy seems rather small for his shell, but as the name suggests, he doesn't move much. He was out and about the other day, but has now gone back to his shy ways. If I present him with food, he will at least try some. Is there any way to convince him to try other shells? The one he's in is painted, and I want to get it out of there ASAP, because I can see that some of the paint chipped before I got them. Also, are his actions just PPS?
-With Tarzan, he is mostly inactive other than when I've taken him out of the tank, where he'll be active in the holding box and scurrying a little bit when put back before burrowing by the UTH. Is this just PPS as well?

Hermiearth

Re: Naked Crab After Trying On Shells

Post by Hermiearth » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:03 pm

You need to take the naked crab and a multitude of shells and put him in a small container with very shallow fresh water dechlorinated. If he doesn't pick one in an hour or so, you need to reshell him, gently uncurl him abdomen and back him into a shell. Without a shell a hermit crab will get to dry and die so this must be done asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:03 pm

And I will work on the template later but there are definitely things you can do to keep this from happening in the future.

Topic author
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:25 pm

Hermiearth wrote:You need to take the naked crab and a multitude of shells and put him in a small container with very shallow fresh water dechlorinated. If he doesn't pick one in an hour or so, you need to reshell him, gently uncurl him abdomen and back him into a shell. Without a shell a hermit crab will get to dry and die so this must be done asap.

Should I shloop him up with a spoon or where should I grab him?

Topic author
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:31 pm

Oh ****, looks like it was Shy Guy who's naked; the one who tried several is just fine atm. Still gonna work on him

Topic author
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:38 pm

He's responsive, but also kinda slow. Is there much I can do?

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:39 pm

Do as stated above, he needs to get in a shall asap.

Topic author
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:48 pm

Because of how limp he was, I was able to at least put his abdomen in a fitting shell and let it rest in some fresh water, but he didn't make any attempt to hold onto the shell. Right now he's in the dark in the aforementioned shell and water in a separate tank with his old shell (the painted one) and some others. Is there much I can do aside from wait it out?

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:01 pm

First if he's in a shell than take the water out and put in some sand. There isn't much you can do other than this :/

Topic author
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:06 pm

Since I have to be up early and can't watch him all night, is there any way to tell if he's moved on overnight? I spoke with the owner shortly after starting to learn their habits, and she said he's usually shy, so he's not showing any pre-molt symptoms. I don't want him to die after so short a period, but I know I need to be prepared just in case

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:30 pm

Not sure what you mean by moved on, but if you mean passed than wait for a strong fishy smell. I'm sorry your in this situation, it's a bummer. I'm going to respond to your emergency template now.

Topic author
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:29 pm

I'm working on getting higher wattage bulbs so I can make the tank warmer

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Hello! I replied with GB for GotButterflies
Lephantome92 wrote:1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
-A mix of mostly sand with some cocoa fiber, roughly 4". The tank is both front- and top-opening, so deeper than that may make filling it deeper hard without substrate falling through cracks

GB: Substrate should be a minimum of 6 inches or 3 times the size of your largest crab (whichever is deeper). Substrate should be mixed with dechlorinated marine salt water or dechlorinated fresh water to make it sandcastle consistency.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
-Only one for temp, back upper corner opposite the heated side. Usually between 70-75, but debating getting a higher wattage light bulb

GB: Heat and Humidity minimum is recommended to be 80/80. Lamps can evaporate humidity - crabs need humidity to breathe with their modified gills. Light bulbs can damage their eyes. I prefer digital - here is what I use: https://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Digi ... 3=&veh=sem

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
-Incandescent bulb and Repti-sun bulb during the day, moonlight bulb at night, and an UTH on the warm side all the time

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
-Both fresh and salt, made with Zoo-Med drops

GB: What kind of salt? You need marine salt to mimic the ocean. Most of us use Instant Ocean. Zoo med drops? Never heard of them. If it is for hermit crabs, toss it. It is crap. You need something that removes chlorine, chloramine, and detoxifies ammonia and heavy metals. Most of us use Prime.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
-A mix of pellets and fresh food, usually replaced within 2-3 days

GB: Hermit crab commercial food is crap. Anything marketed hermit crab is crap. Check out the following links.
Safe food list:http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92556
Food Pyramid: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92554
Commercial Food List: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92555

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
-Just over a week, I'm assuming PP judging by...their purple pincers
7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
-I was told they finished molting just before I adopted them
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
-It's about 30 gallons, and has a screen top on the parts not covered by the heat hood
9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
-3, and their shell openings are probably 3/4"
10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
-6 that are about their size

GB: You need more shells. The HCA recommends 3-5 shells per crab. I recommend more. You can never have too many. :) Here is the shell guide. http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 24&t=92552

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
-None that I know of
12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
-I haven't cleaned it yet

GB: You only need to clean out poop, food debris and change the water...(Unless problems)

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
-There's a sponge in the fresh water tank, haven't cleaned it yet

GB: Sponges are not necessary. Either get rid of it or just let them munch on it - out of the water.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
-Two cracked terracotta pots. The naked crab is currently hiding in the smaller one. I also added several shells for them to try on

GB: Can they cut themselves on the pots? Are they new pots? They need to be free of pesticides and fertilizers.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
-When I adopted the crabs, they just had the incandescent bulb for heat. Their substrate was half dry sand, half cypress wood chips, and the alternate shells weren't the right kind or too big. I got them Wednesday. Thursday I changed their substrate, Friday I got a little more substrate and completely rang out the sponge, Saturday I bathed them and misted their cage, Tuesday I got the heat lights, and yesterday I put in the pots and shells

GB: YIKES!! YIKES AND YIKES!! No bathing is necessary - totally stresses them out. Pools should be deep enough for them to fully submerge and safely get out of. They will bathe themselves. Definitely no cypress chips.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
-Yesterday I boiled, cooled, and gave some shells to my crabs. Since I've had them, only one has been very adventurous (Leif); one tunnels (Tarzan) and the other just sits exactly where he was in the tank, hanging out some (Shy Guy). The major issue, though, is the Leif. When I put in the new shells, he was happy trying some on, I even watched Leif move from the second shell back to his original shell. However, now he's out of his original shell, which is near the back, and in the middle of the tank, under the small pot. If the old shell's opening is towards the glass, should I position it with the opening facing him just outside the pot?
-Since I'm here, Shy Guy seems rather small for his shell, but as the name suggests, he doesn't move much. He was out and about the other day, but has now gone back to his shy ways. If I present him with food, he will at least try some. Is there any way to convince him to try other shells? The one he's in is painted, and I want to get it out of there ASAP, because I can see that some of the paint chipped before I got them. Also, are his actions just PPS?

GB: You can dip the shells in dechlorinated MSW - that sometimes encourages them to change. (after they have been boiled). Shells have to feel right - like a good pair of jeans :)

-With Tarzan, he is mostly inactive other than when I've taken him out of the tank, where he'll be active in the holding box and scurrying a little bit when put back before burrowing by the UTH. Is this just PPS as well?

GB: Hermit crabs are prey animals. They really aren't meant to be played with. It stresses them out. To each's own. I'm an adult in my 40s now - but when I was younger I played with mine too.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:15 pm

Also to add on- because you have a tank that opens from the front, there have been crabbers who add glass above where the door starts in order to add sub. Use a pane of glass/ plexI glass and silicone. Deep sub is crucial so you must do this (:

Topic author
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:42 am

@GB: Rather than quote the whole post, I'll just address points that need it by number
4. Here is what came with the crabs, and thus what I started with. When I bought the hood, I got some Instant Ocean, so I'm covered on that front.

5. The pellets I use are All Living Things. I saw that ALT Powdered was in the good list. I checked the ingredients and it seems like it should be in the clear, but I'll list the ingredients so you can be the final judge: Fish Meal, Ground Corn, Squid Meal, Dried Whole Egg, Soybean Oil, Shrimp Meal, Fructooligosaccharides, Dried Yeast, Yeast Extract, Artificial Flavors, Rosemary Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (a preservative), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Ascorbic Acid), Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacinamide, Calcium Panthothenate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Sulfate, Canthaxanthin, Inositol (Holy crap that was a bugger to type)

14. The pots were brand new, and are crab-safe. Is there anything I can glue somehow to the sides so they can climb on the sides, if desired?

15. I hope it wasn't a very delayed reaction to the bath that made him go naked. They were bathed for what will be their only time from me on Saturday, and he only came out Wednesday. I was equally bothered by the cypress chips after reading about substrate prior to getting the crabs. It was one of the first things I was diligent to amend

@Hermiearth, do you know of anyone in particular on the forum who's done that so I can get some advice to do it properly?

For anyone: How far away should the top of the substrate be from the heat source? My tank is a foot tall, so 6" would leave the crabs 6" to walk and climb