Naked crab

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
tullaia

Naked crab

Post by tullaia » Tue May 30, 2017 8:45 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
I use a mix of coconut fiber bedding and play sand. It's about 6 inches deep on one side of the tank and goes down to about four inches on the other side

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, temperature is usually around 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit and humidity is 80-85%

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Normally I have an under-tank heater, but as it's summer right now, it's warm enough and not necessary

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
I use bottled water for their fresh water and PetSmart hermit crab salt to make their salt water. . . I think it's one cup of water to a tablespoon of salt

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I always have pellets, and replace them every other day. Three or four times a week, I give them fresh fruits or vegetables.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I've had this PP for a little over a year

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Yes, he molted two months ago

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
A 10 gallon glass tank with a mesh lid. I put a towel over the lid to retain humidity.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
Currently, I have three crabs, all about medium size

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Seven or eight

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
Not as far as I know

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Every four months or so, I completely replace the sand, scrub out the tank, and boil the shells and other stuff in the tank

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
Yes, I rinse the sponges every week with hot water, then soak them in cold dechlorinated water for a while, and then dry them completely

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
I recently moved the crabs from a 20 gallon tank to a 10 gallon tank since two of my hermies passed away last month, so everything is different

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
No

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Last night, I went to feed my crabs when I saw one of them sitting in the middle of the tank with no shell. His previous shell was next to him; it hadn't been taken. I immediately moved him to a small container with about four shells of varying sizes and moist reptile moss in the bottom, misted him with my spray bottle, and covered it, leaving it in a dark space overnight. This morning, I came back to see him happily crawling around the container, still with no shell. I picked him up gently and tried to put him back in a shell, (this has happened before with another crab and I succeeded) but he wouldn't uncurl his abdomen for anything, and eventually I gave up. I put him back in the container with some different shells, gave him some food, and now I'm waiting. He seems perfectly happy without his shell, not acting lethargic or anything, and he has plenty of options, so I don't know what got over him. Even if I keep spraying him, he won't be able to stay out of a shell forever. Does anyone have any tips? He doesn't have much time.

Topic author
tullaia

Re: Naked crab

Post by tullaia » Tue May 30, 2017 9:30 am

UPDATE
I got him into a shell, but after a minute he crawled out again. Maybe it wasn't the right size, but he just doesn't want to seem to want a shell at all. Still very active. I'm not sure what to do now

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue May 30, 2017 12:16 pm

I have to leave for work, so I typed this up quickly... hopefully someone can reply more in-depth soon!

tullaia wrote:1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
I use a mix of coconut fiber bedding and play sand. It's about 6 inches deep on one side of the tank and goes down to about four inches on the other side

It would be better to have more sub to provide moulting space, especially with three crabs in a ten gal - I'd add sub.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, temperature is usually around 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit and humidity is 80-85%

Temp is a bit low - if you can get it up to 80° it would be better for them. :)

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Normally I have an under-tank heater, but as it's summer right now, it's warm enough and not necessary

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
I use bottled water for their fresh water and PetSmart hermit crab salt to make their salt water. . . I think it's one cup of water to a tablespoon of salt

You still need a dechlorinator for the majority of bottled water - unless it's distilled it likely contains chlorine. A dechlorinater like Prime is recommended.

Also, salt marketed for hermits is generally not a marine salt mix and do doesn't contain the necessary minerals & trace elements that crabs really need. Get Instant Ocean brand or its equivalent at a fish selling store. And don't buy 'aquarium salt' as it isn't for salt water fish, and is just regular salt.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I always have pellets, and replace them every other day. Three or four times a week, I give them fresh fruits or vegetables.

Pelets typically contain preservatives that are harmful to your crabs. :(

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I've had this PP for a little over a year

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Yes, he molted two months ago

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
A 10 gallon glass tank with a mesh lid. I put a towel over the lid to retain humidity.

Honestly, they'd be happier in a larger enclosure - if you still have it, perhaps consider setting up the 20 gal again - I promise it isn't too big. These crabs are wild animal who matured in natural wide open spaces and travel impressive distances in their native range.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
Currently, I have three crabs, all about medium size

Three crabs in a ten gal is crowded - especially since one end of the sub is only 4" deep.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Seven or eight

You can never have too many shells - what kinds do you have? This is our shell guide:

http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92552

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
Not as far as I know

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Every four months or so, I completely replace the sand, scrub out the tank, and boil the shells and other stuff in the tank

The good news is that you don't need to do any of that! Spot cleaning is fine, replacing sub is totally unnecessary.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
Yes, I rinse the sponges every week with hot water, then soak them in cold dechlorinated water for a while, and then dry them completely

sponges aren't needed either - though pet store push them as essential.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
I recently moved the crabs from a 20 gallon tank to a 10 gallon tank since two of my hermies passed away last month, so everything is different

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
No

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Last night, I went to feed my crabs when I saw one of them sitting in the middle of the tank with no shell. His previous shell was next to him; it hadn't been taken. I immediately moved him to a small container with about four shells of varying sizes and moist reptile moss in the bottom, misted him with my spray bottle, and covered it, leaving it in a dark space overnight. This morning, I came back to see him happily crawling around the container, still with no shell. I picked him up gently and tried to put him back in a shell, (this has happened before with another crab and I succeeded) but he wouldn't uncurl his abdomen for anything, and eventually I gave up. I put him back in the container with some different shells, gave him some food, and now I'm waiting. He seems perfectly happy without his shell, not acting lethargic or anything, and he has plenty of options, so I don't know what got over him. Even if I keep spraying him, he won't be able to stay out of a shell forever. Does anyone have any tips? He doesn't have much time.
Perhaps try tapping the back of his head gently - he may uncurl. I've never had to try this, but have read that it can help. Also try putting shell at the bottom of a cup & the crab on top of it so he has no where else to go.
Last edited by LadyJinglyJones on Wed May 31, 2017 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed May 31, 2017 4:03 am

Any update?
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:19 am

I'm sorry to hear your having issues with your hermit crab but there are a couple of options to try.

First try placing the crab and one or two empty shells together in a small container or cup and leave him be for a few hours the lack of space and extra quiet is usually enough to coax a stubborn hermie back into a shell.

It that doesn't work you might want to try putting a couple of drops of his salt water into the mouths of each shell as this has been known to help encourage streaking hermies to re-shell.

Its important to note that most crabs who streak do so either because there is an irritant in the shell, their tail has been injured, they are overheated or sick and too weak to handle the excess weight of a shell.

A weak hermit crab will choose to abandon its shell in an attempt to conserve precious energy.

I agree you need to increase your substrate depth as six inches is actually much too shallow, three hermit crabs in a ten gallon tank is a bit crowded, Instant Ocean is what you need for their salt water as the stuff branded for hermit crabs is often full of other chemicals and dyes that aren't necessarily hermie friendly and are way more expensive in the long run versus a box of Instant Ocean that makes ten gallons of real sea water.
Your temp and humidity while not ideal are not dangerous​ly low and the pelleted food needs to be checked for the ingredients ethoxyquin, copper sulfate, ferrous sulfate, bha and bht which are all toxic to invertebrates.

Please do update us on your hermit crabs condition.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.