Found a crab wandering loose

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
WanderingHermit

Found a crab wandering loose

Post by WanderingHermit » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:57 pm

This morning a crab was found wandering around at my work... in a retail store. This was before we opened, so it either found it's own way in, or had been left overnight by it's owner? Nobody has come to claim it, but still I think that it must have been a pet because it seems rather large and we are in Western Massachusetts, so it doesn't seem like it wandered into the store from a natural habitat. I have no idea what type of crab this may be, or how long it has been wandering out on the street. It has not come out of it's shell all day, I don't blame it as it's probably super confused, but I don't know if it's absolutely fine and just sleeping.... or sick, starving, dehydrated, or dying! What on earth do we do for this thing? How can we tell if he will make it? I get the impression vets don't so much cater to these little guys, and even if they did, it's a bit of a stretch when he doesn't belong to any of us in the building. More, if we can get him through this situation, how do we find a good home for him? Anyone know of a local rescue?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Found a crab wandering loose

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:26 pm

Can you post a photo? Pet hermits have been found in some really weird places, either because they were released or because they escaped!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
WanderingHermit

Post by WanderingHermit » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:54 pm

Thats incredible to think of. Our store is on a very busy street and there's no homes directly nearby. I can't figure out how to post a photo, but there isn't much to see since it's basically just a shell. It didn't come out for the few hours I was there. When it was flipped over, what we could see was slightly reddish purple, but he or she is tucked up tightly. Is there some treat that might coax him out?

I have left work for the day but I'm fretting over it getting through the night. We thought for sure someone brought it and left it by accident and would come back for it, so it's still there. I gave it a small box to hide in, a wet sponge, a bit of turkey and some baby food. We are not a pet store so not really equipped to save this little critter, but we are trying to give it the best chance. I've been doing some research since getting off the clock and the food seems alright given the extreme circumstance, but I'm worried about the water and warmth being a problem until we can get a proper heater and water tomorrow.

mjjluver

Post by mjjluver » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:34 pm

poor little guy!
maybe you can find someone here: https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 113&t=3678

posting a picture may be easiest via the tapatalk app

Topic author
WanderingHermit

Post by WanderingHermit » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:09 am

Thank you, yes much easier. He doesn't appear to have moved much through the night, nor eaten anything offered.ImageImage

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Hermie225

Post by Hermie225 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:30 am

WanderingHermit wrote:Thank you, yes much easier. He doesn't appear to have moved much through the night, nor eaten anything offered.ImageImage

Wow! Poor little guy, glad you found him!!
I am also from MA and have sent a PM :)

Topic author
WanderingHermit

Post by WanderingHermit » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:07 pm

Just to update everyone, 'Wally' is now no longer living in a cardboard box, and while it's not the Ritz, he seems to be more comfortable in his makeshift home. He doesn't appear to be eating anything, but he isn't hiding so fiercely as before. Image

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:55 am

He looks like he is in bad need of a molt,you can tell by the broken leg tips. It's just so crazy that he's there! But bless you guys for trying to take care of this little guy! Try to give him some eggshell, or unpasturized honey if possible. Honey is a healing food with natural antibodies, and eggshell will give him a calcium source. If you plan on keeping him, I do suggest deeper sub so he can bury to molt. However, feel free to post in our adoption section as well if you would like to try to find a home for him. :)