New dilemma

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New dilemma

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:20 am

Hello. I'm sorry for your loss. When they drop limbs it is definitely a sign of stress. It was probably too much going from wild to fair to the kritter keeper and then to your conditions. Sometimes they just don't make it.

What he had was a molt sac. Molting requires a lot of energy. Poor little fella was just sent over the edge.

Edit: In the future, if a crab drops a limb(s), it is best to isolate them; give raw honey, proteins and calcium. Also don't handle them.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:44 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Edit: In the future, if a crab drops a limb(s), it is best to isolate them; give raw honey, proteins and calcium. Also don't handle them.
Hey there. So, how long would that be for ya think? Till the limb fully grows back? Till after a molt?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
She thought she could, so she did!

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:53 pm

elly_bananas wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:
Hey there. So, how long would that be for ya think? Till the limb fully grows back? Till after a molt?

I believe that limbs can partially, if not completely regenerate after molts. It’s best not to handle or remove them from the iso until completely healed.

Sent from my IPA1489 using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:06 pm

elly_bananas wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:

Hello! Each case is going to be individual. It depends on if a claw is dropped or if it’s just a leg. From what it sounds like in your case, if the crab is still climbing around and acting fine then I would leave him in the main tank and not isolate him. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:29 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
elly_bananas wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:

Hello! Each case is going to be individual. It depends on if a claw is dropped or if it’s just a leg. From what it sounds like in your case, if the crab is still climbing around and acting fine then I would leave him in the main tank and not isolate him. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks GB! Ive got the staple, recuperation foods in there through out the tank for easier access. So ill leave well enough alone for the most part. Still keeping them fingers crossed tho!

She thought she could, so she did!

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:22 am

AgentK25 wrote:I'm so sorry for your loss. :( It's so hard to watch them suffer from stress when all we want to do is help them feel good and be as happy as they can be in captivity. {{hug}}

I have a rescue PP that has been buried now for a little over two weeks. He came to me missing his large claw and two legs on the opposite side of the claw. Poor guy gimped around the tank for about two weeks before going below. I've been sending him "healing vibes" every day and telling his sibling to leave him alone under there. :) First molts are stressful with healthy crabs...this one is rubbing against my anxiety disorder!
Oh no! Sure hope your guy heals up for you while he is down there! I can imagine how anxious you are....healing vibes from me too!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:22 am

Crabs have to molt to regrow anything that is missing, and sometimes it can take several molts before it looks normal again. You may see gel limbs starting to form before he molts. (They look like minitaure clear jelly limbs coming from where the missing ones are). During the molt these will inflate to a usable size, and will form a normal exo once the crab sheds its old exo and starts to harden its new exo.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram