DID I SCREW UP???

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Thatfranke

DID I SCREW UP???

Post by Thatfranke » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:40 pm

so I think my hermit crab is dead. I came home and saw him partly out of his shell, unable to move. There were no signs of life. I poked him and nothing happened. I moved him and nothing happened. Last time when my hermit crab died, I was unable to bury them right away and instantly regretted it. I do not want to make the same mistake with this hermit crab so I rushed outside and took off the shell to bury him… And realize that his body was still plump and his limbs were still flexible. Did I jumped the gun on this? What should I do?

crabby33

Re: DID I SCREW UP???

Post by crabby33 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Hi there, can you fill out this request template? It’s to help pin point exactly what is going on. Yes, please do not assume death. Crabs can go limp when preparing to molt. Was the crab starting to move when you rushed it outside and took its shell off? If it was, it may still be alive and it may have been starting a molt. This is what crabbers refer to as a surface molt so don’t poke or prod it anymore. That may cause it unnecessary stress. Also, please get your crab back into its shell. It will definitely die without it.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:18 pm

There is a chance it could be surface molting. We recommend waiting until there is a smell just in case, because molting and dying/dead can look similar.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Thatfranke

Post by Thatfranke » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:28 pm

I got him back into his shell as best as I could. He was not moving whatsoever when I pick him up or Took his shell off. I had heard that they move when the malt and so I was looking for any signs of life and really couldn’t find any. There’s a faint fishy smell on his body, but I’ve never smelled a naked hermit crab before so I do not know if that is just their natural aroma. Number one
1. Or used coconut fiber chunks for the substrate. I’ve seen them dig down and it before and they seem to enjoy it for the most part.
2. I do not have any engages in the tank to measure temperature and humidity. I do spray out down their tank as often as I can.
3. I do not have a heat source per se, but I have a lamp that provides some heat for them that is on for around 80 hours a day.
4. They have both fresh and saltwater available. The water was treated and assaulted with the amounts that came on the box. They were is accurate as I could have possibly gotten them.
5. I found the crab bananas and lettuce. They are usually in the cage and tell they are mushy and appear groups. They have been getting more bananas usually, but it tends to alternate between lettuce and bananas.
6. I have an Ecuadorian crab and I have had him for 3 to 4 months.
7. He has not melted while in my care from what I can tell. There have been times where he has Doug down and not come up for a day or two. However, he has not once left to show since in my Care.
8. They are kept in a plastic creator carrier with a mesh plastic tarp.
9. M there are two including him. They are medium sized.
10. Are used to keep a lot in there. Now are usually keep around one or two that are in the same size range of my hermit crabs.
11. No
12. Every so often. I changed the substrates and rinse it down.
13. No
14. No.
15. Sometimes I would take him out to socialize him or warm him up in my hands.
16. I came home and he was dripping out of his shell. I looked to see if his back legs or anything on him was moving and nothing was. Not an antenna not a leg not a muscle. I picked up his shell and Bingle Tim to see if anything would move and again, nothing did. I then took him outside to bury him because I’ve had hermit crabs day before and I know how smelly they get and how quickly they get smelly and I took him out and I wasn’t even considering him being alive until I realized how plump his abdomen still was. When I left for school this morning he appeared to be fine. I know he was active last night. I just hope I didn’t kill him while he was mulching. I know that his substrate levels are not as high as they have been, but he should still have enough room to have buried himself down and had a peaceful, alone months. His roommate has been known to be a more aggressive crap. When I got home and saw my supposedly dead crab, the other crap was with him, like, looking at him and about a centimeter away from him. He seems different, as the other crab is usually not very active during the day. It felt like something was off. When I Took my hermit crab out of the shell, nothing was moving. His limbs were still lip and his body was still soft, but not his back legs that his front legs not his antenna we’re moving. I even shined a flashlight on his trans parent abdomen and it didn’t look like anything in there was moving either. I will admit that I did handle him a little bit out of the shell, but it was mostly checking for signs of life. As instructed from the comment above, I put him back into a shell is best as I could. His body is hanging out a little bit more than it was was when I found him. He looks a little worse then he did when I found him. Let me know what I should do.

Topic author
Thatfranke

Post by Thatfranke » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:33 pm

wodesorel wrote:There is a chance it could be surface molting. We recommend waiting until there is a smell just in case, because molting and dying/dead can look similar.
After I took off the shell, the panic set in that he could be surface more thing. He was hunched over in out of his shell. I have seen a dead crab before and it did remind me of that. When I picked him up he wouldn’t move just like the other one. The other one had been dead for a few hours longer before I saw him however in this one doesn’t smell yet. Also, he should have enough substrate to properly malt. At least in some parts of his habitat. Period. He appeared to be in the same spot he was when I left for school this morning. Eight hours later he was an about the same spot just out of his shell a little more and unmoving.

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:15 pm

I got him back into his shell as best as I could. He was not moving whatsoever when I pick him up or Took his shell off. I had heard that they move when the malt and so I was looking for any signs of life and really couldn’t find any. There’s a faint fishy smell on his body, but I’ve never smelled a naked hermit crab before so I do not know if that is just their natural aroma. Number one
1. Or used coconut fiber chunks for the substrate. I’ve seen them dig down and it before and they seem to enjoy it for the most part.

What is recommended on this forum is a 5:1 ratio of play sand and Eco Earth, moistened enough to build a sand castle out of it. Called sand castle consistency.

2. I do not have any engages in the tank to measure temperature and humidity. I do spray out down their tank as often as I can.

It is very important you get gauges for your tank, but get digital gauges intended for inside your house, such as Acurite, but not the analogue gauges sold at pet stores.

3. I do not have a heat source per se, but I have a lamp that provides some heat for them that is on for around 80 hours a day.

You may want to buy an under tank heater to place on the back or side of your tank, not underneath. Most crabbers don’t recommend heat lamps because they dry out the substrate.

4. They have both fresh and saltwater available. The water was treated and assaulted with the amounts that came on the box. They were is accurate as I could have possibly gotten them.

Your fresh water needs to be treated with a product called Seachem Prime. Salt water needs to be made using Instant Ocean for salt water aquariums.

5. I found the crab bananas and lettuce. They are usually in the cage and tell they are mushy and appear groups. They have been getting more bananas usually, but it tends to alternate between lettuce and bananas.

Make sure you look at the food pyramid and do not feed them food from the pet store. This forum doesn’t recommend commercial food.

6. I have an Ecuadorian crab and I have had him for 3 to 4 months.

Since you have an E, most people here with E’s recommend 10 Gallons of space per E.

7. He has not melted while in my care from what I can tell. There have been times where he has Doug down and not come up for a day or two. However, he has not once left to show since in my Care.

Once you have the right amount of substrate, it is important you do not dig up a molting crab. Medium crabs can be down as long as a whole month to up 6 months in larger crabs. I have a molter down right now and she will not come up until she’s done.

8. They are kept in a plastic creator carrier with a mesh plastic tarp.

Critter carriers are not recommended because they don’t hold in heat and humidity well. Tanks are preferred. E’s will require very large tanks. These are very active crabs and they are known to dig up molting crabs, so deep substrate is very important when you have Ecuadorian crabs.

9. M there are two including him. They are medium sized.

10. Are used to keep a lot in there. Now are usually keep around one or two that are in the same size range of my hermit crabs.

1-2 shells is not enough. Having a variety of shells for them to choose from is very important. Crabs will fight to the death over a shell. This forum recommends 3-5 per crab. Do not buy painted shells. Since you have an E, they prefer D shaped openings. So look for Nerite shells. Popular shell stores include Etsy, Deltona sea shells, and Naples Sea Shell Company. When you go to Naples, click on hermit crab shells and then select D shaped openings.

11. No

12. Every so often. I changed the substrates and rinse it down.

Once you change to a tank and get the correct substrate, you will not need to change substrate at all. Just spot clean.

13. No
14. No.

15. Sometimes I would take him out to socialize him or warm him up in my hands.

Removing crabs from the tank for “play time” is not recommended. They’re a lot like having gold fish. This forum really encourages you to treat them like wild animals. People here practice hands off because hermit crabs stress very easily.

16. I came home and he was dripping out of his shell. I looked to see if his back legs or anything on him was moving and nothing was. Not an antenna not a leg not a muscle. I picked up his shell and Bingle Tim to see if anything would move and again, nothing did. I then took him outside to bury him because I’ve had hermit crabs day before and I know how smelly they get and how quickly they get smelly and I took him out and I wasn’t even considering him being alive until I realized how plump his abdomen still was. When I left for school this morning he appeared to be fine. I know he was active last night. I just hope I didn’t kill him while he was mulching. I know that his substrate levels are not as high as they have been, but he should still have enough room to have buried himself down and had a peaceful, alone months. His roommate has been known to be a more aggressive crap. When I got home and saw my supposedly dead crab, the other crap was with him, like, looking at him and about a centimeter away from him. He seems different, as the other crab is usually not very active during the day. It felt like something was off. When I Took my hermit crab out of the shell, nothing was moving. His limbs were still lip and his body was still soft, but not his back legs that his front legs not his antenna we’re moving. I even shined a flashlight on his trans parent abdomen and it didn’t look like anything in there was moving either. I will admit that I did handle him a little bit out of the shell, but it was mostly checking for signs of life. As instructed from the comment above, I put him back into a shell is best as I could. His body is hanging out a little bit more than it was was when I found him. He looks a little worse then he did when I found him. Let me know what I should do.

Thugill0923

Post by Thugill0923 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:21 am

I also did the same thing and want to know what I should do! I did almost the exact same thing as this person. :(

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:25 pm

Thugill0923 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:21 am
I also did the same thing and want to know what I should do! I did almost the exact same thing as this person. :(
Can you answer the template questions so we can help you?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Thugill0923

Post by Thugill0923 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:20 pm

into its shell. It will definitely die without it.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Sand and coconut fiber mix about 6 inches deep.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Well I have a thermometer in the middle of the tank.. it reads 70-80 for heat & 60-70 for humidity

Heating pad above substrate lined on the bank wall of tank outside

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Two bubbler water pools. Dechlorination with seacham prime & salt added in a gallon bucket that I use to add inpools.

Twice a week and powdered mixes from various crab stores & fresh veggies daily.

Less than 9 months

One crab has and maybe only two weeks but the other crab I think was starting to melt on top of substrate and I mistook it for being dead. He was in the water pool for hours and basically our of his shell .. then he moved to the substrate and the next day he basically was ALL the way out of his shell. I tried to re-home him in a shell by rinsing his back side of with dechlorinatec water and in a separate container with shells. N
After a few hours he didn't reshell so I placed him in his shell as best as I could and have him in a separate secluded area of the tank. His eyes are cloudy & there is no smell at all.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

40 gallon tank & screened lid with plexiglass on top.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 2 crabs one medium and one larger

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 4-5

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? Not often

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? It is a brand new tank. I went from a 10 gallon to a 40 gallon tank

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. Basically touched this question in number 7.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:06 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Sand and coconut fiber mix about 6 inches deep.

Well I have a thermometer in the middle of the tank.. it reads 70-80 for heat & 60-70 for humidity
Curly - Your humidity is too low. Crabs have modified gills and need higher humidity in order to breathe. Over 70, and closer to 80% is better.

Heating pad above substrate lined on the bank wall of tank outside

Two bubbler water pools. Dechlorination with seacham prime & salt added in a gallon bucket that I use to add inpools.
Curly - Are you using marine salt?

Twice a week and powdered mixes from various crab stores & fresh veggies daily.

Less than 9 months

One crab has and maybe only two weeks but the other crab I think was starting to melt on top of substrate and I mistook it for being dead. He was in the water pool for hours and basically our of his shell .. then he moved to the substrate and the next day he basically was ALL the way out of his shell. I tried to re-home him in a shell by rinsing his back side of with dechlorinatec water and in a separate container with shells. N
After a few hours he didn't reshell so I placed him in his shell as best as I could and have him in a separate secluded area of the tank. His eyes are cloudy & there is no smell at all.
Curly - A crab out of his shell in the water is unfortunately not a good sign. You are correct to have him isolated from your other crab. Has he moved at all? Can you post a photo of him?

40 gallon tank & screened lid with plexiglass on top.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 2 crabs one medium and one larger

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 4-5
Curly - HCA recommends 3 to 5 extra shells per crab. Be sure to check out the 'shells' care sheet to ensure you are offering the preferred types of shells.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? Not often

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? It is a brand new tank. I went from a 10 gallon to a 40 gallon tank

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. Basically touched this question in number 7.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Thugill0923

Post by Thugill0923 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:07 pm

How do I post a photo?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:37 pm

You can either share a link to a photo sharing site, or use the TapaTalk app to post a photo.
Has he moved at all?

Thugill0923

Post by Thugill0923 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:22 pm

He has not moved at all. In the same exact position I left him in and there is no smell not even a little bit of smell.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:13 pm

Leave him there for a couple more days and see what happens. If nothing after that time he has likely passed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thugill0923

Post by Thugill0923 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:28 pm

Yeah this all took place since March 11. so he hasn't had any life like movement. Could he be possibly molting on surface for that long?