Crab sleeping from screen lid

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Crusty12

Crab sleeping from screen lid

Post by Crusty12 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:22 pm

My hermit crab has never done this before but he Is sleeping i believe upside down on my screen lid. Is this normal? I never had a hermit crab do this before but one time I did catch him sleeping in the plants up high. He has places to get down and he was fine this morning and I do have plastic wrap on the lid temp and humidity are fine. Just wanted to know if I should be concerned.

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

BlookittiePC

Re: Crab sleeping from screen lid

Post by BlookittiePC » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:26 pm

He should be ok. Many crabs will find a way to get to the highest point in the tank, and mine have stayed there all day sometimes. He will also likely be ok of he falls, as many crabs in captivity have fallen from second levels and walked away unscathed. Just make sure he can't escape. :D
Two amazing PPs: Jarvis, who has been with me since 7/14/18, and NewCrab (still unnamed) since 1/11/21!
And a tortoiseshell kitty: Delia

I'm still pretty new to this and I'm trying to learn all I can!