Crab not moving outside of shell

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
tiffitopeka18

Crab not moving outside of shell

Post by tiffitopeka18 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:49 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Sand/coconut fiber? Husband set it up last. It’s pretty deep. Several times deeper than the crab is high.
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Our gauges broke. We need to buy new ones but keep it moist and the house says 72.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

Yes. A stick on heater on the outside.
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Fresh and salt dechlored available.
5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

Pellet and fresh foods available. Changed daily.
6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
Had 6 years, unknown

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

Molts yearly. It’s been a long time.
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

20 gallon tank with lid that’s mesh but has a towel over most to keep humidity in.
9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
He’s the only crab. The other died a few months ago.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

No
12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

We usually fully replace the substrate a few times a year and scoop the top to Jeep it clean.
13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

No
14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

The crab was walking around this morning and climbing in the water dish. A half hour later he was in the tank out of his shell upside down. My husband flipped him over. I know he probably shouldn’t have touched it. Anyways, it hasn’t moved at all. Is it dead? Nothing is moving.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crab not moving outside of shell

Post by curlysister » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:47 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

Sand/coconut fiber? Husband set it up last. It’s pretty deep. Several times deeper than the crab is high.
Curly - Is it moistened so that it holds it's shape, ie- sand castle consistency?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

Our gauges broke. We need to buy new ones but keep it moist and the house says 72.
Curly - It is very important to have gauges, it is impossible to tell humidity and temp by feel. Crabs need humidity above 75% in order to breathe. You need to know the temperature in the tank as well, it should be 75-80.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

Yes. A stick on heater on the outside.
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Fresh and salt dechlored available.
Curly - What brands of dechlorinator and salt do you use?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

Pellet and fresh foods available. Changed daily.
Curly - COmmercial pellets are not considered safe for crabs, even though they are marketed for them. See the foods section on safe foods, and the food pyramid. Crabs need a source of protein and calcium daily.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
Had 6 years, unknown

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

Molts yearly. It’s been a long time.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

20 gallon tank with lid that’s mesh but has a towel over most to keep humidity in.
Curly - A towel won't do much for humidity. You need the hygrometer to know what the humidity actually is. But saran wrap over the mesh is much more effective at holding in humidity.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

He’s the only crab. The other died a few months ago.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

No
12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
We usually fully replace the substrate a few times a year and scoop the top to Jeep it clean.
Curly - If you have proper substrate, you do not need to replace it unless there is something like a bacterial bloom.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

No
14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

The crab was walking around this morning and climbing in the water dish. A half hour later he was in the tank out of his shell upside down. My husband flipped him over. I know he probably shouldn’t have touched it. Anyways, it hasn’t moved at all. Is it dead? Nothing is moving.
Curly - A crab needs to be in a shell or it will die. It's okay that he touched it. You need to put it in a shallow bowl with a mm or two of fresh dechlor water, and a couple of shells of the correct size. If the crab does not go into one of the shells, he will need to be manually re-shelled. Your crab may, unfortunately, not make it. There are a number of things that are not optimal in the conditions. It is not a good sign that the other crab died a few months ago. Unfortunately, they can sometimes survive in poor conditions for a while, but eventually they run out of energy. Is there a smell? A deceased crab will often give off a bad smell.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
tiffitopeka18

Post by tiffitopeka18 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:02 pm

Nothing smells so far. I reallythink it’s dead though. The poor thing hasn’t moved even once. It has clean shells next to it. We have not tried to manually put it in but I think it’s too late. My son is so sad. He’s had it for years. 👎

Topic author
tiffitopeka18

Post by tiffitopeka18 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:04 pm

Oh and the other crab died during molting. The first one went down to molt and this one took its shell and then the first one didn’t make it. This ones shell is too small but it wouldn’t take to a new one. We bought soooo many to try. We couldn’t find one that it would use for longer than a few hours.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:14 pm

I am sorry to hear that. If you do decide to get more crabs, there are some improvements that you can make to the tank. Check out the shell guide for information about shells, as there are proper and improper ones to buy.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
tiffitopeka18

Post by tiffitopeka18 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:24 am

Thank you. I think we will wait before getting any other pets for now!