No movement

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Milj

No movement

Post by Milj » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:37 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? 6 inches of play sand

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? I have one located at the warmer left side of the tank and it's usually 77-81 degrees with 77-83% humidity, though last 3 days the humidity has been getting lower to 73% somehow

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? I have one 5w uth on the left side and large 7w uth on the back, an inch into substrate, but I've checked and it hasn't dried out the lower sand. I usually alternate between them depending on how hot it is but I end up keeping the 5w one on at all times

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Both waters are treated with prime dechlorinator and the salt water is instant ocean, I've mixed a gallon of it by going off the box measurements of 1/2 a cup of salt for 1 US gallon

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? I've started them on a mix from an Etsy user, https://www.etsy.com/listing/709270941/ ... e_21&crt=1

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? I've had them both since June 8 and they're both PPs

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? They haven't molted in my care yet

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? Currently a 10g with 2 hides, fake plants, moss pit, and some logs to climb on. The lid is a screen lid but I've got plastic wrap covering 90% of it

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 2 crabs, one is slightly bigger than the other but they're both pretty much medium small size

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? At least 10 I've counted, all around their size

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? I usually spot clean but most of the time I just don't do much besides change water and sometimes mist with a spray bottle. Last time I cleaned it was June 11 because I had another flood

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? Besides the food, no

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? One crab is usually up in daytime hours in the mornings and in afternoons, and both are up evening to night

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. So I noticed that my one crab that's usually up during the day just hasn't been out at all. I thought maybe he went down to molt but I shined my phone light in one night and noticed his shell was just in the cocohut. Today I checked on both of them and they moved and didn't look off, though unfortunately I couldn't get a good look at their bodies since they don't come out of their shells for me just yet. There's no tracks or indents on the sand around the food nor the water dishes, and both seem to just be sitting in the same place for about 5 days.

I'm just wondering if something is wrong? I haven't changed anything in the tank besides the food but that was July 5th, and they seemed to enjoy it. The one thing I've noticed is more mites in the water bowls but I would think since they're harmless they wouldn't do anything to the crabs. I also thought for a second that maybe they're boy and girl since, like I said, I haven't been able to get a good look at them since they don't come out of their shells in front of me, but I didn't see anything about lethargic/stagnant behavior on the breeding topic. Are they just destressing for some reason or getting ready to molt?

The Crab Maid

Re: No movement

Post by The Crab Maid » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:46 pm

When you lift him up, is he loose in his shell? Is there a bad fishy smell? The mites will eat the crab if the crab is dead.
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)

Topic author
Milj

Post by Milj » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:53 pm

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:46 pm
When you lift him up, is he loose in his shell? Is there a bad fishy smell? The mites will eat the crab if the crab is dead.
No he seems quite into his shell, and the only prominent smell is the moss. I actually just saw him come out of the cocohut for like 3 steps and then go back in so I have no idea what he's doing

The Crab Maid

Post by The Crab Maid » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:59 pm

Could be preparation to molt. Sometimes they become a little lethargic before a molt. Here are the signs to check for: https://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB ... 23&t=92522
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)

Topic author
Milj

Post by Milj » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:32 pm

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:59 pm
Could be preparation to molt. Sometimes they become a little lethargic before a molt. Here are the signs to check for: https://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB ... 23&t=92522
Okay, I'll wait and see what happens for the next few days, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks so much for replying :)