Lethargy Concerns

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Jamison

Lethargy Concerns

Post by Jamison » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:43 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Eco earth and playsand, 6 inches.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
I have a digital gauge. Heat is usually 80. Humidity is usually 70 or higher.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
A 40 gallon ultratherm.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Instant ocean and prime. I use the recommended ratios.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I feed lots of proteins, veggies, nuts, seeds, fruits, and calciums. I change food every other day.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
almost 11 months, PP.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Twice, most recently a few months ago.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
40 gal reptile terrarium. It has a screen top, covered with a towel.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2, a small and a medium.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
I think 6.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
Nope.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Just spot cleaning.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
No.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Harry usually is very actice. But for the past few nights he has just sat in the coconut. I'm very stressed. Help !
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

Hermiesguardian

Re: Lethargy Concerns

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:43 pm

Sounds like your conditions are good. You just need to raise your humidity to a minimum of 80%. They have modified gills and need humidity to breathe. Cover your lid with saran wrap rather than a towel. As for the lethargy, it's possible he's getting ready to molt. Someone with more experience can maybe have more insight.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:38 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:43 pm
Sounds like your conditions are good. You just need to raise your humidity to a minimum of 80%. They have modified gills and need humidity to breathe. Cover your lid with saran wrap rather than a towel. As for the lethargy, it's possible he's getting ready to molt. Someone with more experience can maybe have more insight.
[/quote

Thank you.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:27 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:Sounds like your conditions are good. You just need to raise your humidity to a minimum of 80%. They have modified gills and need humidity to breathe. Cover your lid with saran wrap rather than a towel. As for the lethargy, it's possible he's getting ready to molt. Someone with more experience can maybe have more insight.
OP’s humidity is usually seventy or higher, which is perfectly safe. I don’t think humidity is the issue here.

I agree it may be pre-molt behavior. If not that he may just be feeling lazy. Unless he’s being picked on by his tankmate, he should be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk