MY HALLOWEEN CRAB IS BUBBLING AND HER LEG FELL OFF

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

gunstreet.girl

Re: MY HALLOWEEN CRAB IS BUBBLING AND HER LEG FELL OFF

Post by gunstreet.girl » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:41 am

Until you can either set your crabs up in the environment necessary for their survival or re-home them to a suitable environment, there are things you can provide for them which don’t require money.

Do you have trees around your home (that aren’t sprayed for mosquitos, etc)? Check the safe foods list and gather fallen leaves. This is how the majority of us obtain leaf litter. I don’t know where you live, but where I am it’s fall, and it’s now that I go out and gather as many leaves as I can get my hands on to safely store for the winter/next spring.

With regards to other essential elements of their diet - hunt around in your fridge and kitchen cabinets for fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds, grains, and animal proteins. Check the safe foods list. A quick search of the internet indicates a hallowe’en crab’s diet is similar to that of a LHC’s, so for the moment let’s assume the LHC safe list will apply to your hallowe’en crabs. It is imperative that living creatures eat and have appropriate food available to them, so scavenge through your kitchen with the safe list in hand and see what you can find for them. As you live at home, you may need to ask your parents’ permission to do this, maybe remind/inform them that crabs eat very little and so you will only need to take very small amounts to ensure their survival. Taking off-cuts and scraps will in fact not really take any food off your family’s plates, if that’s a concern - Apple cores, vegetable and fruit trimmings, meat trimmings, egg shells, etc.

A quick internet search also yields the consensus that hallowe’en crabs need to have their water replaced and water bowls cleaned daily. You didn’t mention if this was part of your care routine, but if not - consider making it a part of your routine. Also, I would suggest checking the brand of water filter you have installed on your tap/water supply and doing some internet research to see if the one you have installed does in fact remove chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, heavy metals. If it does, great. If not, you will need to get a proper dechlorinator/water treatment that removes all these things. This is absolutely essential.

I don’t know your family situation/relationship with your parents (nor am I asking), and I understand money is a concern for you right now but I think you mentioned previously that your father bought you the hallowe’en crabs and did the initial set-up? If i’m not misremembering, then that would indicate to me that he supports your interest in caring for these animals. Show him the results of your research about crab requirements and where certain essential areas of your set-up fall short (substrate, nutrition, potentially water, thermometer/hygrometer), present him an itemized list of the essential requirements with associated costs and see if he will be willing to help you out.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:33 pm

I just wanted to chip in and agree with what Curlysister said about substrate depth. These crabs burrow up to 3 feet underground in the wild! I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable giving them anything less than a foot. If you really need to get the most coconut fiber you can get - check Home Depot’s website. I bought an 11 pound brick of coconut fiber on there, it made 17 gallons which is more than enough, and you’ll have more to spare. :)
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:09 pm

gunstreet.girl wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:41 am

It is imperative that living creatures eat and have appropriate food available to them, so scavenge through your kitchen with the safe list in hand and see what you can find for them.

A quick internet search also yields the consensus that hallowe’en crabs need to have their water replaced and water bowls cleaned daily. You didn’t mention if this was part of your care routine, but if not - consider making it a part of your routine. Also, I would suggest checking the brand of water filter you have installed on your tap/water supply and doing some internet research to see if the one you have installed does in fact remove chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, heavy metals. If it does, great. If not, you will need to get a proper dechlorinator/water treatment that removes all these things. This is absolutely essential.

I change my pets food and water every night. The hardest part is getting food for the crabs. My parents try to buy everything as cheaply as possible, and because of that there's really nothing natural or free of pesticides except for the eggs we get from our chickens and ducks. I like to give them raw and cooked egg and they love it. I didnt know they can eat the shell so ill give them that too. I'm going shopping for them tomorrow If an adult can take me to some stores. I can also get leaves and wood from outside. I'll look that water filter up
Last edited by Chocobo on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
my grasshopper is going to be a mom 💕 https://streamable.com/n8zpap

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:14 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:33 pm
I just wanted to chip in and agree with what Curlysister said about substrate depth. These crabs burrow up to 3 feet underground in the wild! I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable giving them anything less than a foot. If you really need to get the most coconut fiber you can get - check Home Depot’s website. I bought an 11 pound brick of coconut fiber on there, it made 17 gallons which is more than enough, and you’ll have more to spare. :)
Can I also get all purpose sand or play sand for them? I heard coconut fiber isn't always best for tunneling

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:24 pm

I am not sure I understand - if your sister is slacking on her chores, can you not take up the slack and do her chores and earn her share of the money too? There are many other ways a 16 year old can earn money, too. Mowing lawns, shovelling driveways, baby sitting. You can walk or ride a bike to a job without using Google Maps. Unfortunately, these all sound like excuses, not real reasons for not looking after a pet properly. If you didn't have the money for a proper set-up right from the start, you could have delayed getting them until you had the set up complete. You can not blame others for something that is your responsibility. Or if you are no longer able to care for them, be responsible enough to re-home them to someone who can - and quickly, so no further harm comes to them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

The Crab Maid

Post by The Crab Maid » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:24 pm

So Halloween crabs can burrow up to 5-8 feet in the wild. However a foot in captivity is fine so long as they're kept solo. They are extremely cannibalistic and aggressive to other crabs.

Halloween crabs also do not fair well in salt water, they need fresh and brackish - brackish water is very weak salt water.

The substrate is the same as Hermit Crabs, sand and coconut fiber. Primarily sand to hold shape, coconut fiber helps keep and distribute moisture.

They are 100% land crabs outside of breeding. Sitting in a water dish is a bad sign. Limbs falling and a funny smell strikes me as a molt going bad. With the improper set up it sounds most likely the case. While I've heard of hermit crabs successfully molting on the surface I have not heard the same of a Halloween crab.

Moon crabs spend over 95% of their time in tunnels they've dug, coming up briefly for food and water. They like to shovel their food into their tunnel. When they're ready to molt they "close the door" to their tunnel. Their tunnels are to them what shells are to hermit crabs.

Also, Halloween crabs are extremely sensitive to mold.
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:37 pm

curlysister wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:24 pm
I am not sure I understand - if your sister is slacking on her chores, can you not take up the slack and do her chores and earn her share of the money too? There are many other ways a 16 year old can earn money, too. Mowing lawns, shovelling driveways, baby sitting. You can walk or ride a bike to a job without using Google Maps. Unfortunately, these all sound like excuses, not real reasons for not looking after a pet properly. If you didn't have the money for a proper set-up right from the start, you could have delayed getting them until you had the set up complete. You can not blame others for something that is your responsibility. Or if you are no longer able to care for them, be responsible enough to re-home them to someone who can - and quickly, so no further harm comes to them.
I could ask, but I doubt they would let me do something like that because she wants to earn money too. My parents like to try and be very equal with me and my step sister. There's nothing I can really do about that. I already talked to my dad about the pet situation this morning like I said I would though, and things are resolved. I do not take kindly to you belittling me and trying to make me look bad here, though. You have absolutely no idea who I am or anything about me behind the screen. I couldn't delay on getting them or decide anything because they were a special birthday present from my dad and I didn't know I was getting them. Even though shoveling driveways isn't an option because of where I live and nobody near me needs babysitting, I can mow the lawn if my dad lets me. Honestly, I don't know if I feel like you are very entitled to this explanation, but I felt like I should say this just so everyone understands. I have been actively working hard to solve these kinds of things even though I don't go around talking about it. I have been trying to apply for jobs online. And as for the google maps situation, I tried going a different way in my neighborhood on a casual walk and I went missing for so long my parents had to get in the car and look for me. I always get lost like this and I'm especially not used to my new neighborhood after leaving toxic people to live with my dad and step mom. Hope this makes things clear.
Last edited by Chocobo on Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:48 pm

While not an offical admin post, I just do want to remind everyone to keep things civil and avoid keeping things personal if we can. The important thing is that the OP has at least acknowledged what is wrong, and trying to rectify the situation - so for that kudos.

I do understand the difficulty of having pets and not having a job. At the start of my crabbing 'career' I too missed out on a lot of things to better my crabs life since the only pocket money I received was for bday/xmas.... and i was only allowed to keep $20. So I had to make it stretch if I could. My crabs did have a pretty good life in 2012-13, but I missed having stuff such as a good quality salt like I do now, shells and general misc items.

If you can, try sourcing low cost items that's Halloween crab safe second hand, which may be a lot cheaper?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:52 pm

I can try that. I'm going to try to go to a health food store tomorrow to get things

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:52 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:While not an offical admin post, I just do want to remind everyone to keep things civil and avoid keeping things personal if we can. The important thing is that the OP has at least acknowledged what is wrong, and trying to rectify the situation - so for that kudos.

I do understand the difficulty of having pets and not having a job. At the start of my crabbing 'career' I too missed out on a lot of things to better my crabs life since the only pocket money I received was for bday/xmas.... and i was only allowed to keep $20. So I had to make it stretch if I could. My crabs did have a pretty good life in 2012-13, but I missed having stuff such as a good quality salt like I do now, shells and general misc items.

If you can, try sourcing low cost items that's Halloween crab safe second hand, which may be a lot cheaper?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thank you for this post.

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:58 pm

I do sympathize with finalxfantasy he was GIVEN these crabs without substantial care for them. He didn't ask for them. I feel sorry that now he has to deal with the repercussions and the guilt. He will undoubtedly take better care of them in his adult life, just like most of us did with hermit crabs in the future.

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:06 am

FinalxFantasy wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:14 pm
Can I also get all purpose sand or play sand for them? I heard coconut fiber isn't always best for tunneling
From what i’ve read (emphasis on read - this is me doing google research, not being an expert), the consensus seems to be that ideally you want sand (or a mix of sand and ee) moistened to sandcastle consistency, topped with a thick layer of ee, moss, and leaf litter. The care sheets i’ve read indicate that each layer should be around 6 inches, but as other members have stated these guys are big tunnelers and substrate should be at least a foot. I would take that to mean that the tunneling substrate (ie, the bottom layer) should be around a foot, and then the top layer should be at least a few inches so the crab can at least cover itself completely in that layer, but again - this is just my interpretation of what i’ve read and others are saying. As others have mentioned, the ideal for this type of crab seems to be deeper = better, but as you’re unlikely to be able to get away with much more than a foot of sub in a standard tank, start there.

gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:32 am

FinalxFantasy wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:52 pm
I can try that. I'm going to try to go to a health food store tomorrow to get things
If you’re also able to get out to a conventional store (or if your local health food store is a large one set out like a conventional store) with a butchery/meat/seafood counter, you can always try to ask someone there if they would be willing/able to give/sell you some offcuts to feed your crabs. Neither my husband or I eats fish/seafood, and I was joking one time with an acquaintance who worked in a butchery that I always got strange looks when I would go to the seafood counter and ask for 3 shrimps, or 2 scallops, etc., and he told me to just ask for offcuts/shells/exos/heads next time — they’re considered a waste product and often they’ll be happy to give or sell them to you (assuming the store doesn’t have a specific rule against it). Sure enough, next time I went in and explained my situation to the folks at the seafood counter they were more than happy to head into the back and assemble a tray of trimmings and shells and other nasty bits for me to take home and stock my freezer. I can’t even remember if they charged me, but if they did it was less than a few dollars for what amounted to well over a pound of completely usable hermie food.

Many health food stores with a produce section will also have a “reduced” section with fruit and veg that’s past its prime or damaged - and if they have a produce section but don’t have a “reduced” section, they’re likely keeping that overripe/damaged fruit and veg in the back. Tell the clerk you keep exotic animals who are happy to eat produce that’s not fit for sale and ask if they’ll sell you some at a discounted price. I worked in a number of health food stores while I was in university and there was always the produce on the floor, the discounted produce on the floor, the still-good-but-not-fit-for-sale produce kept in the back that was to be donated to food banks/food not bombs, and the not-fit-for-human-consumption produce destined for compost. Try asking for that last one - an organic mango is expensive, but an organic mango that’s all bruised up and overripe is potentially a free (or almost free) crab food source.

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:30 pm

Maddamay32 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:58 pm
I do sympathize with finalxfantasy he was GIVEN these crabs without substantial care for them. He didn't ask for them. I feel sorry that now he has to deal with the repercussions and the guilt. He will undoubtedly take better care of them in his adult life, just like most of us did with hermit crabs in the future.

The drama with these crabs was just a short phase due to misinformation and not being able to get what I need. Sally is already 10 times better than she was two days ago and I've been watching her at late hours. I also have been giving her food and coral calcium in a shell so she doesn't have to walk to the food bowl. The only real issue now is that I'm probably going to have to save up to buy a larger tank now which sucks, but I'm only happy knowing my pets are happy because they mean so much to me and right now they're 70% of what I live for. On the bright side this will let me give my millipedes a bigger home and then I can collect more species. :D (also I'm a girl, but you're not the first person who accidentally thought I was a guy lol)

Topic author
Chocobo

Post by Chocobo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:36 pm

gunstreet.girl wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:32 am
If you’re also able to get out to a conventional store (or if your local health food store is a large one set out like a conventional store) with a butchery/meat/seafood counter, you can always try to ask someone there if they would be willing/able to give/sell you some offcuts to feed your crabs. Neither my husband or I eats fish/seafood, and I was joking one time with an acquaintance who worked in a butchery that I always got strange looks when I would go to the seafood counter and ask for 3 shrimps, or 2 scallops, etc., and he told me to just ask for offcuts/shells/exos/heads next time — they’re considered a waste product and often they’ll be happy to give or sell them to you (assuming the store doesn’t have a specific rule against it). Sure enough, next time I went in and explained my situation to the folks at the seafood counter they were more than happy to head into the back and assemble a tray of trimmings and shells and other nasty bits for me to take home and stock my freezer. I can’t even remember if they charged me, but if they did it was less than a few dollars for what amounted to well over a pound of completely usable hermie food.

Many health food stores with a produce section will also have a “reduced” section with fruit and veg that’s past its prime or damaged - and if they have a produce section but don’t have a “reduced” section, they’re likely keeping that overripe/damaged fruit and veg in the back. Tell the clerk you keep exotic animals who are happy to eat produce that’s not fit for sale and ask if they’ll sell you some at a discounted price. I worked in a number of health food stores while I was in university and there was always the produce on the floor, the discounted produce on the floor, the still-good-but-not-fit-for-sale produce kept in the back that was to be donated to food banks/food not bombs, and the not-fit-for-human-consumption produce destined for compost. Try asking for that last one - an organic mango is expensive, but an organic mango that’s all bruised up and overripe is potentially a free (or almost free) crab food source.
omg thank u so much. You're sure i can feed overripe fruit to them? Could the hermit crabs eat it too though?