Molting emergency

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Jniea6

Molting emergency

Post by Jniea6 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:59 am

So my 2nd hermit went under... two week ago he has already shed its exoskeleton and began eating it. I looked at the tank and noticed my other crab dig himself right on top of my moting crab. What should I do? Is he going to kill him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crabby in NJ

Re: Molting emergency

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:28 pm

I’m by No means an expert but if it was me, I wouldn’t let him dig on top of the other guy.....I’d be far too worried 😧 I would definitely be posting just like u have here and waiting anxiously by until someone answered me. If you are that worried, in my honest opinion, I wouldn’t take the chance. I’m sure someone will come along soon that has a ton more knowledge than I do.

❤️🦀good luck whatever U Chose to do!

Maybe this type of scenario should be added to the care sheet? Their are soo many variables that I’m sure not everything can be added but maybe as it comes along it can be voted on? Idk how the site works but it’s always worth a shot to ask for the future emergency that comes along needing this exact advice 🦀💯❤️
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

Topic author
Jniea6

Post by Jniea6 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:30 pm

Crabby in NJ wrote:I’m by No means an expert but if it was me, I wouldn’t let him dig on top of the other guy.....I’d be far too worried Image I would definitely be posting just like u have here and waiting anxiously by until someone answered me. If you are that worried, in my honest opinion, I wouldn’t take the chance. I’m sure someone will come along soon that has a ton more knowledge than I do.

ImageImagegood luck whatever U Chose to do!

Maybe this type of scenario should be added to the care sheet? Their are soo many variables that I’m sure not everything can be added but maybe as it comes along it can be voted on? Idk how the site works but it’s always worth a shot to ask for the future emergency that comes along needing this exact advice ImageImageImage

He did it overnight, I need help ....

Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:17 pm

Write in the chat like Wendy uk 🇬🇧 did. That got attention faster than typing here tbh. Ur in my thoughts. I wish I knew more to help. I’m sorry.

Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:35 pm

I'm no expert, but if it was me and I knew a crab was molted recently and thought that another crab was digging him up or too near, I'd move the digging crab.

Filling out the emergency template is definitely worth your time, people will be asking those questions: how many crabs, what kind of sub, how deep of sub, food, waters... ...
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

Topic author
Jniea6

Post by Jniea6 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:49 pm

Moe2076 wrote:I'm no expert, but if it was me and I knew a crab was molted recently and thought that another crab was digging him up or too near, I'd move the digging crab.

Filling out the emergency template is definitely worth your time, people will be asking those questions: how many crabs, what kind of sub, how deep of sub, food, waters... ...

I completed that already, all of them were underground I thought it was molting too... till I woke up this morning an seen his shell on top of the other crab.

Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:30 pm

I would’ve pulled him right off the other molting crab, what did u wind up doing?

Topic author
Jniea6

Post by Jniea6 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:32 pm

I didn’t do anything. I’ve been gone all day for work. I was waitin on a response before I left.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:42 pm

Based on the current information I wouldn’t be too concerned, however I wanted to ask, how do you know the crab is molting in that particular spot? When they dig down they tunnel all over the place before molting. Filling out the emergency template would help us get an idea of what your tank conditions are like, such as how deep the substrate is and how many crabs are in your tank, and what size it is.

This is the template:
1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:16 am

Agree with above.

Crabs dig down for a couple of inches, and then from there they tend to tunnel all over the place (and may end up on the opposite side of the tank to where they burried).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Jniea6

Post by Jniea6 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:56 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Agree with above.

Crabs dig down for a couple of inches, and then from there they tend to tunnel all over the place (and may end up on the opposite side of the tank to where they burried).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I can see through the glass, two shell on top of each other. I ended up digging the big one up because he had just went under. He looks as if he is about to molt too. Soon as I moved him he started digging again. I’m not sure if he got to the other crab or not but I’ll wait to see if I smell anything in a week or so. I now have 4 molting crabs. Two of them have eaten their exoskeleton already, just waiting on them to come up.