Shell theft victim naked for last 16 hours - what to do?

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Brio444

Post by Brio444 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:24 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

“Hermit crab beach”, 6 inches now.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

Top-ish. 75/80(this leans a bit high sometimes)

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
A Uth now side mounted. Just over sand level

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh well water, salt is premixed from pet store. I ordered instant o, hasn’t come in yet

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Hermit crab patch sample pack and then some just came in on Sunday! We’ve been trying a different kind (or 3) every night to see what they like.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
He’s very purple. Got him Saturday. Along with the crab now known as [bleeped].

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
No. Unless that’s what he’s trying to do

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
Aquarium lid with improvised cover to keep in humidity. Talll aquarium. 28x24 or something.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? One tiny, one small, and three medium-ish.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? I bought out the pet store and ordered more - not in yet. Currently 9.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? Not yet, it’s new

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? Yes, not yet? Squeezed out a few times?

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? Everything

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail
Nanny messaged yesterday that [bleeped] had murdered cyclops. (Cyclops has one white/blind eye). Cyclops was out of his shell. [bleeped] was IN cyclops’ shell. This is Bleeped’s 4th shell in 4 days. I am pretty sure he stole it. Cyclops is very slow and gentle generally (seemingly). Cyclops has just been lying there. Sometimes pretends to get up. But nothing. [bleeped] kept going back, so my nanny threw in a cardoard barrier (ritz box). I gave him a tiny water bowl when I got back, misted him and made sure any shell that looked appropriate was on his side. [bleeped] (who is bigger) is now in a shell that is too small, btw. He’s a turd. So I left the bigger ones for him out of Ritz box shelter by him.

But what can I do for Cyclops? SHOULD I do anything, or just leave him be and hope for the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Brio444 on Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Brio444

Re: Shell theft victim naked for last 16 hours - what to do?

Post by Brio444 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:26 am

Here’s the Ritz box set up.

Topic author
Brio444

Post by Brio444 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:26 am

Here’s the Ritz box set up. Image

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:58 am

Rinse him off and put him into a small clean, substrate-free container with some clean shells his size. Make sure it has a lid. He looks ready to moult, and if he does it could actually turn into a murder scene. The small space will get him to focus on retaining a shell and keep him from further injuring himself.

Also, I know you're upset but our forum does have little kids and we have no swearing policy, even if the filter picks it up. When you have a moment, could you please edit his name to something more little kid appropriate?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Brio444

Post by Brio444 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:14 am

wodesorel wrote:Rinse him off and put him into a small clean, substrate-free container with some clean shells his size. Make sure it has a lid. He looks ready to moult, and if he does it could actually turn into a murder scene. The small space will get him to focus on retaining a shell and keep him from further injuring himself.

Also, I know you're upset but our forum does have little kids and we have no swearing policy, even if the filter picks it up. When you have a moment, could you please edit his name to something more little kid appropriate?

sure. Edited. Rinse in salt or fresh water? I have a critter keeper, is that a decent option? It’s not a solid lid... Also have a fish quarantine tank which I can probably hang inside the big tank to keep the humidity and temp stable, which might be better? Thank you!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:25 am

Critter keeper is perfect! Freshwater is better. And thanks!

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:17 pm

I think she answered any questions you may have had, but You can always add plastic wrap to seal it if need be. I actually kinda like the [bleeped] as a name- just like that- it is funnier that way to me even without knowing what it previously was. JMO

Wishing you both all the best- I hope Cyclops finds a shell for you and pulls thru! Poor fella.

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~Maggie~ Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~MissTeri~Tim~Gene~ Barry~Mr S~Princess + 5 Es + Mr EnDoh =my crabby clan!

Topic author
Brio444

Post by Brio444 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:57 am

Still naked, and just hanging out in the critter keeper. His color is changing a bit (could be crazy) but not dead. Definitely not really moving. Mist him? Leave him be?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:03 am

Time to manually shell, which isn't a great sign. I'm really worried that with that enlarged abdomen that he is close to moulting.

Find a lightweight but large enough shell for his backside to fit snuggly. Put his bum in the opening, and gently tap his head to try and get him to back into it on his own. If he won't try to ever so gently uncurl his abdomen a bit and try and slide it into the shell. If it works, leave him in a sitting position secured away from the other crab. If he's moving at all, try offering moist food.

Misting would also be good to keep him from drying out.

If you can't get him to take a shell, then it really isn't good. They will ditch their shells when dying because they don't have the strength to carry them anymore.

Topic author
Brio444

Post by Brio444 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:45 pm

Update: he’s way less lethargic. Moving around quite a bit.... and apparently full bent on being a nudist. I got him in one, and he immediately ditched it.

Topic author
Brio444

Post by Brio444 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:05 pm

New update: found him dead this morning. In a shell.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:48 pm

Dangit. I'm so very sorry.

There is a lot that can go wrong and there's no way to check them to see what is happening within their bodies. This happens way too often, and with new crabs especially it's known as Post Purchase Syndrome because so many pass due to injury and stress from the collection and transport process.

The only other thing I woule note going forward with your other crab, is that even though you have well water, you may want to use a water treatment product that takes care of heavy metals. These can be present in low amounts that are safe enough for humans, but not for invertebrates. It wouldn't have had any effect this quickly, though.

Topic author
Brio444

Post by Brio444 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:55 pm

I have Prime floating around for my bettas. (Mostly in the event of ammonia spikes or something.). Decent option for water treating?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:38 pm

Prime is perfect for hermits!

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:34 pm

Aw, I'm so sorry! Definitely agree with Wodesorel though (no surprise there ;))! My heart goes out to you! We've all, I'm sure, been there before!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺