Might have killed my hermit crab while in its molting phase

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Alex.Gang

Might have killed my hermit crab while in its molting phase

Post by Alex.Gang » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:56 am

I’ve had this hermit crab for 2 or so years. About a week ago he’s been living outside of his shell, possibly outgrew the one he was in. So we put some bigger ones in there hoping he would grow into it.

About 3 days ago however he got halfway into his shell, and just stayed there. I thought he was stuck or something so I moved the shell a little bit and he plopped right out of it, and hasn’t moved since. I realised he was probably molting and I know their bodies can be very fragile, so I was pretty sure I killed him, since it’s been a day and he hasn’t moved an inch.

This morning I moved him (without directly touching him, he was lying down on a tipped over cocohut so I picked it up) to under an arched hollow log to get him out of the light.

I think I may have killed him, but there’s no way for me to really tell. Can anybody help me out?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Might have killed my hermit crab while in its molting phase

Post by curlysister » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:25 am

A crab will drop it's shell when it is too weak to carry it. A crab without a shell will not survive. Moving the crab like you did, did not kill it. It was probably a cumulation of stressors.
If you copy and past the Emergency Template, and answer the questions, we can help you trouble shoot what might have gone wrong.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46102
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

FJrocks003

Post by FJrocks003 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:43 pm

I'd put the crab in an iso tank. If it doesn't smell like a rotting fish than there is still hope!
Indigo, Fleck, Flame, Dilly, and our newest addition: Thunder
RIP: Bubbles (passed on Wednesday March 31, 2020)

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:12 pm

I agree that picking it up did not kill it, however it does sound like it has passed away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk