my crab has a hole in his body (picture)

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
nibbler125

my crab has a hole in his body (picture)

Post by nibbler125 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:23 am

I noticed this cavity on the left hand side of his body im pretty sure its not from a shell fight I dont know if this is normal but none of the other crabs have this. Also he has been showing intrest in the coconut fiber witch is unusual for him he rairly climbs down from the cholla logs so I hope he is moulting. sorry if its not a real emergency but iv never experienced this before.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: my crab has a hole in his body (picture)

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:10 am

I've had several crabs with that injury. I had read in the archives that it may be a type of lung parasite that drilled through their carapace. I personally think it's from shell-fighting. If you've ever watched crabs trying to pry each other out of a shell that's where their front legs dig in for traction.

Either way - the holes aren't fatal unless they become infected, which is rare. :) It should heal up in one molt, but when it's large and deep it takes them a few molts before the scars finally disappear.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

SojMad

Post by SojMad » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:35 am

My PP also had an injury there when I brought him home. He has molted three times (if I'm correct) since then, and the scar is still not completely gone. :)

Are you sure it is from a shell fight and not a parasite? It is on the almost exact same location as nibbler125's crab. :) And nibbler125; I hope your crabs injury heals soon! :P

Here's my crab and how he has healed.
When he moved in:

After first molt:

After second molt:

After third molt (these pictures was taken today):

C. brevimanus
C. rugosus
C. clypeatus
C. cavipes
C. violascens

Topic author
nibbler125

Post by nibbler125 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:02 pm

oh btw his name is Scott he is borderline large and the next largest crab is a small E so i doubt it was a shell fight. ill keep an eye on the others incase its a parasite. but thanks for the replys :crabbigsmile:

Alma

Post by Alma » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:18 pm

maybe you should dunk him in saltwater...ha ha ha i mean dip him gently in some saltwater. It'll kill germs and keep him clean :D Poor crab he is missing a leg huh. how sad.