Just got 2!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Anda.

Just got 2!

Post by Anda. » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:31 pm

I took a trip to the beach and after a lot of back and forth decided to get two hermit crabs that I am calling Seamon and Sashimi. I have a friend who is setting me up with a tank but I still feel very unprepared. Any advice would be greatly appreciated 🙏

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Just got 2!

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:02 pm

Welcome to the world of crabbing! It’s okay to feel unprepared, especially with new animals. Just be patient and take it one step at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Just got 2!

Post by curlysister » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:12 am

Many of us were unprepared when we first got out hermit crasbs!
Be sure to read through the 'care sheets' for tons of info - start with the 'basics' sheet, then check out the others as you go along.

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=119273
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:52 am

I would do as Curly recommends! If you have any questions, we're more than willing to help you out!
What tank size do you have? How deep is the substrate? I like knowing everybody's setup!
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

Topic author
Anda.

Post by Anda. » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:41 pm

Pumpkincrab

It is a 10 gallon tank with 1.5 inch of beach sand right now i have more but I was reading about post purchases death syndrome between getting them and getting them home so I didn't put everything in yet.

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:25 pm

Okay, that's very true. When they get used to everything I would recommend getting a lot more substrate (Eco earth or play sand, or a mix) So they can safely molt and dig! Do you have the correct heat and humidity?
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.