Can I use these plants for crabs?

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
yame1324

Can I use these plants for crabs?

Post by yame1324 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:29 pm

Hello again, everyone. I recently got my hermit crabs and am still trying to figure out how to keep them. I bought some artificial plants for fish and reptiles and want to know if they are safe.
I bought a plastic plant for fish, but it smelled strongly of plastic after removing the packaging. After a few days the smell went away. Is it safe to use such plants for crabs? I also bought an artificial climbing plant with leaves, but the leaves are made of fabric or something like that. Will the crabs not eat this fabric? (In the photo, those same leaves are made of fabric)Image

Отправлено с моего iPad используя Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can I use these plants for crabs?

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:47 pm

Usually if a plant is safe for aquarium use it’s also safe for crabs. Should be good if the plastic smell is gone but you can also wash or rinse if they still smell off

I’ve offered “fabric-y” plants before and never had any crabs try to eat them. Usually they’re pretty good at discerning what is and isn’t edible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:51 pm

Yes, plastic plants are safe, and you did the right thing by waiting for the smell to dissipate. You can then just give them a quick wash, I use vinegar and tap water (you don't have to use dechlorinated water, since the crabs won't be going into the water, just the fake plants).
And also yes, they might pick apart those fabric leaves. You can put them in and if they start picking them apart, just remove the leaves.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
yame1324

Post by yame1324 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

JoeHermits wrote:Usually if a plant is safe for aquarium use it’s also safe for crabs. Should be good if the plastic smell is gone but you can also wash or rinse if they still smell off

I’ve offered “fabric-y” plants before and never had any crabs try to eat them. Usually they’re pretty good at discerning what is and isn’t edible

Thanks. I also wanted to know how I should properly moisturize the sand. Over time, the moisture evaporates and the sand becomes dry. I don't want to use a spray because some crabs can molt in the sand.. My crabs are small, so I'm afraid they just won't be able to get out through the wet sand :(

Отправлено с моего iPad используя Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:10 am

Hand spraying is fine. It’s also normal for the first inch or so to dry out, and in most cases the crabs can get through the dry layer so long as the substrate underneath is properly saturated