New Owner

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
theunartist

New Owner

Post by theunartist » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:29 pm

I adopted 4 Hermit Crabs from a neighbor, 3 small/med and 1 micro all in a 1 gallon hex type tank with maybe an inch of sand, I felt sorry for them and unfortunately one of the small/med was DOA.

I setup a nice 10 gallon tank using a few inches of coconut substrate and the remaining 3 almost instantly went underground for almost 6 weeks, I would assume molting. The remaining 2 small/med made it back and the micro was nowhere to be found, just the empty shell.

Long story short, I set up a new 20 gallon long for the remaining 2, appropriately named Grabber and Shy Guy. I believe both are Purple Pinchers but one could be an Ecaduorian. Tank is set up nicely with all the right temps/humidity, food, water, climbing areas, moonlight for viewing, etc. Anyway, the question, do they mind if I add and/or rearrange tank or should I let them relax etc. My better half thinks I need to leave them alone, but I recently purchased some new stuff, corner caddy, moss etc. I've been able to handle them and they crawl right out of my hand.

I never would have guessed having Hermit Crabs could be a potential money pit... :)

Thanks, Rick

CallaLily

Re: New Owner

Post by CallaLily » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:40 pm

You can go ahead and add/rearrange the decorations, especially now that they're past their first molts with you. The only issue would be if an item were partially buried and moving it could disturb a crab underground. Congrats on your adoption! I'm sorry to hear that some didn't make it. It's all too common, coming from such poor conditions. :(

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:12 pm

theunartist wrote: I never would have guessed having Hermit Crabs could be a potential money pit... :)

Thanks, Rick
Ha! Welcome to the club, Rick :D . We've all been drawn in by that first pair of stalk eyes and end up wanting more crabs, bigger tanks, more stuff for them to climb on, better selection of shells, wider variety of fresh foods, you name it. How something so small can cause you to spend so much is one of the mysteries of the universe. Oh, and I also have pet mice and let me tell you it's all bigger and better in that world as well but at least most of their favorite toys and hides can be made at home using toilet paper rolls and popsicle-sticks :lol: .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
theunartist

Post by theunartist » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks for the replies!

I went out and picked up some Sphagnum Moss and wanted to pick up a bag of sand but they didn't have quickrete instead had sackrete play sand (which I assume is the same thing). There are so many things written about sand as a substrate, play sand is good, play sand is bad, sand from the pet store is bad, etc. etc. etc. Is there a definitive brand and type of sand that everyone is using? I'd like make a "beach area" just to give the crabs another texture...

Thanks, Rick

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:15 am

Any brand of play sand, as long as it's not dyed, is safe.

Topic author
theunartist

Post by theunartist » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:25 pm

CallaLily wrote:Any brand of play sand, as long as it's not dyed, is safe.
Thanks! :)

How do you prepare Sphagnum Moss for Habitat, I read you wet it, but is it supposed to be soaked for awhile etc.

Thanks, Rick

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:54 pm

I don't think so, I've always wetted it, wrung it out, and tossed it in (after some light fluffing). Just make sure you use dechlorinated water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:34 pm

Yup what moonbeam said. It wets more efficiently being soaked rather than being sprayed or watered. It just needs to be wet, but if its too soaked and dripping you might make the substrate too muddy from leaking.

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:28 pm

Oh my gosh, the money I've put into these little guys! Congratulations on giving your little family a proper home!
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

Topic author
theunartist

Post by theunartist » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:47 am

Thanks for the replies!

I've been reading a lot about a crabitat setup, all say hermit crabs should not be exposed to metal. Does this mean, metal that can potentially rust, or just having any metal, whether coated or not or even stainless (which does not rust)? I've looked into getting a couple of fake plastic plants (aquarium) and some do have metal. Safe or not safe?

Thanks, Rick

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:16 pm

There's a thread floating around here somewhere about metal. Can't find it and it's been months since I've looked into it but I think (hopefully my memory will serve me right) metal is ok. It does rust eventually which isn't pretty but I think the consensus is that it doesn't really bother the crabs? Also, I have some plastic coated shelves I use in my tats which haven't bothered the crabs a bit. Hopefully someone can link the thread for you

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Topic author
theunartist

Post by theunartist » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:34 pm

moonbeam wrote:There's a thread floating around here somewhere about metal. Can't find it and it's been months since I've looked into it but I think (hopefully my memory will serve me right) metal is ok. It does rust eventually which isn't pretty but I think the consensus is that it doesn't really bother the crabs? Also, I have some plastic coated shelves I use in my tats which haven't bothered the crabs a bit. Hopefully someone can link the thread for you Image
Thanks, GTK!

I read about the good and bad foods, and started giving the crabs a few different leaves to try out and they very much prefer the Pear Tree leaves and will just sit there and eat away, their second choice are bamboo leaves. They've hardly touched the other hermit crab food. Also, they have both started to use the Pit Moss area for bedding down.

As a little FYI - I do use a UTH on the back of my tank, I've tried the foil and a bit of foam but always ugly. I'm an artist and found a 1/4" thick piece of what we call "Foam Core" in black, that works perfectly as far as insulating the heater to tank as well as looking decent since the foam core is black and the UTH is black! It's inexpensive and can find at most stores that sell art supplies Foam Core

Thanks again, Rick

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:36 pm

I'm so glad you posted again! The link about metal recently got posted again but I couldn't remember which thread the question had come up in! This thread has a link to the thread on metals and rust (even if it is a bit late lol): viewtopic.php?t=101637#p933972

I'm so glad your crabs are enjoying the moss pits Image

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:16 am

theunartist wrote:
As a little FYI - I do use a UTH on the back of my tank, I've tried the foil and a bit of foam but always ugly. I'm an artist and found a 1/4" thick piece of what we call "Foam Core" in black, that works perfectly as far as insulating the heater to tank as well as looking decent since the foam core is black and the UTH is black! It's inexpensive and can find at most stores that sell art supplies Foam Core

Thanks again, Rick
Great suggestion, Rick! :clap:
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

WingedWalrus

Post by WingedWalrus » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:05 pm

Welcome to the life of hermit crabs! It is an addiction! :crabbigsmile:
11 purple pinchers - Plum, Rillow, Arthinia, unnamed, unnamed, unnamed Biggie-Smalls, Ignatius, Ilan, unnamed, unnamed
1 ecuadorians - Adaara
1 ball python - Tungsten
1 corn snake - Seaborg
1 albino redtail boa - Kobuk
1 kenyan sandboa - Cadmus