New Crabber From California

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Crab_Coalition

Re: New Crabber From California

Post by Crab_Coalition » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:00 pm

Kleinerhejhog wrote:Yes, is it the long black screen thing. The tail in the middle is its power cord. The mat itself is very very thin, it looked to me like they ran all the parts of the heater through a regular laminating machine, lol. The only part that has any thickness at all is a little semi circle bit where the power cord is attached.

Glad anytime to explain anything that's unclear, the only idiotic question is the one left unasked. :)
Thank you and you are right. the only question I have is whether the heater is pressed against the outside of the tank or positioned inside the tank and hanging? I assume it is upon the outside pressed against the glass?

Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:31 pm

Yes, definitely pressed against the glass as much as possible. :)

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:27 pm

Always outside the glass, you can tape it down with clear packing tape or Gorilla tape.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:53 am

Ooo, good point, I hadn't thought to specify that. :)

Topic author
Crab_Coalition

Post by Crab_Coalition » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:41 pm

Crab_Coalition wrote:Actually a majority of our crabs are considered small or teeny which helps for now but I definitely see the point and get it.

The average consistent temp of the tank is 75 degrees hot and 99 degrees humid.
Just a few quick updates. I purchased a 40 gallon tank and moved all the crabs in there, even the molting ones and everyone is fine. The molting crabs looks like they were at the end with that jelly smell and hairy legs but just want to stay under ground so many of them disappeared fast. I knew they were at the end of their molt and that is why I waited for this week to arrive.

I need to find out where I can buy a heater for the tank. The temp is a steady 80 degrees but want to keep it at 85.

I also see fogginess in the tank at night and early morning and want to know if that is ok? When I open the tank to take out fruits, etc i notice it feels nice and warm in there, almost like a hermit sauna. (-:

One pattern I noticed in the deaths is the digging up of Sunshine, who passed away. With only 5 inches of substrate, I believe it was so shallow the surface crabs can detect the jelly-like smell and lock in on a position and start to dig, only to find it is not food but a fellow crab.

I have since changed the substrate to 8-9 inches and everything appears well. Burying stuff always hides smell. (-:

The next pic is just my personal opinion and may go against the gran of what I am hearing but it's just how I feel. In regards to how many crabs a tank can hold, I am hearing numbers that sounds extremely low for such a large investment in tanks and resources. Just seems like a waste to have a 125 gallon tank or a 55 gallon tank with only 5-6 crabs like I am hearing with a majority remaining underground in deep substrate and all that room that is hardly used...then I open up you tube and review how they live in their natural enviro unmet and see hundreds of thousands of them climbing over each over so my question is this...how do they survive in an ultra crowded natural environment and then die in a tank with all the space when the tank should be able to support many more?

In my opinion, and remember just my opinion that can change as I learn more, I think each crab should have 1-2 gallons plus a very deep substrate they can use to tunnel to almost anywhere which gives them even more space. I have 17 crabs living successfully in a 20 gallon tank but my only fault was a shallow substrate.

I do think that the bigger your crabs are the more space is urgently needed because larger crabs DO utilize all that space when roaming around or digging deep so my argument would be supported if a majority of crabs were teeny or small like mine are with very few large crabs. Anyway, I know I opened myself up but I need to so i can get clear answers or facts either for or against before making up my mind.

Also, if anyone has info on where to buy a large heater to support a 40-55 gallon tank, I would definitely appreciate it. (-:

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:55 pm

Even the largest tank cannot be compared to their natural habitat. In the wild they roam for miles. One thing to remember when stocking with really small crabs, they will grow! Some grow quite fast (doubling or tripling in size in just a molt or two), others much slower. If you fill a tank with as many teenies as will fit, at some point it will become very overcrowded as they all grow larger. Then you'll need to upgrade or split them between tanks to avoid issues. If your only wanting one main crabitat and not planning on upgrading, stock as if they were all larger crabs. The main thing to look at when determining how many crabs you can fit is molting space. If all your crabs were to dig under at once (and trust me, they do sometimes), will they have enough room to safely molt? (and remember smaller crabs molt more frequently) When they molt, they usually dig down as far as they can go. Depth helps keep other crabs that are just digging to dig from accidentally running into them or smelling them. Pay attention to the tank's footprint (length x width) rather than overall size.

meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:41 pm

I'm by no means an expert, so take this for what it's worth, but in the wild they may live in large colonies but they have miles and miles of beach with feet upon feet of sand in which to dig when they are molting. I'd guess they live in the above ground colonies for a "strength in numbers " kind of natural protection but I'm sure they break off when it's time to molt.

As for the heater, I just ordered an Ultratherm for my 40 gallon from the Bean Farm but there are one or two other places online where you can buy them...Amazon and Reptile Basics I think have been mentioned.

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 (for now) crabs

Topic author
Crab_Coalition

Post by Crab_Coalition » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:33 pm

CallaLily wrote:Even the largest tank cannot be compared to their natural habitat. In the wild they roam for miles. One thing to remember when stocking with really small crabs, they will grow! Some grow quite fast (doubling or tripling in size in just a molt or two), others much slower. If you fill a tank with as many teenies as will fit, at some point it will become very overcrowded as they all grow larger. Then you'll need to upgrade or split them between tanks to avoid issues. If your only wanting one main crabitat and not planning on upgrading, stock as if they were all larger crabs. The main thing to look at when determining how many crabs you can fit is molting space. If all your crabs were to dig under at once (and trust me, they do sometimes), will they have enough room to safely molt? (and remember smaller crabs molt more frequently) When they molt, they usually dig down as far as they can go. Depth helps keep other crabs that are just digging to dig from accidentally running into them or smelling them. Pay attention to the tank's footprint (length x width) rather than overall size.
Thank you and I definitely will. I am taking it all in. I am definitely in this to upgrade to whatever tank possible, even up to 155 gallons and I already have a tank to split.

Yes, my question was crafted knowing they will grow and that I will need a bigger tank but i love them so much I have the resources to upgrade to whatever is needed.

Topic author
Crab_Coalition

Post by Crab_Coalition » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:37 pm

meg_and_the_zoo wrote:I'm by no means an expert, so take this for what it's worth, but in the wild they may live in large colonies but they have miles and miles of beach with feet upon feet of sand in which to dig when they are molting. I'd guess they live in the above ground colonies for a "strength in numbers " kind of natural protection but I'm sure they break off when it's time to molt.

As for the heater, I just ordered an Ultratherm for my 40 gallon from the Bean Farm but there are one or two other places online where you can buy them...Amazon and Reptile Basics I think have been mentioned.

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 (for now) crabs Image
Excellent on the heater and thank you. Yes, correct as they have so much space. I want that type of interaction on the surface and I have know created a 9 inch deep substrate across a 40 gallon tank and am willing to upgrade tanks and maintain the depth if needed but my dream or desire has been to at least maintain a capacity of at least 20 in a 40 gallon according to crab size, etc with larger tanks with a deep substrate.

Topic author
Crab_Coalition

Post by Crab_Coalition » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:42 pm

CallaLily wrote:Even the largest tank cannot be compared to their natural habitat. In the wild they roam for miles. One thing to remember when stocking with really small crabs, they will grow! Some grow quite fast (doubling or tripling in size in just a molt or two), others much slower. If you fill a tank with as many teenies as will fit, at some point it will become very overcrowded as they all grow larger. Then you'll need to upgrade or split them between tanks to avoid issues. If your only wanting one main crabitat and not planning on upgrading, stock as if they were all larger crabs. The main thing to look at when determining how many crabs you can fit is molting space. If all your crabs were to dig under at once (and trust me, they do sometimes), will they have enough room to safely molt? (and remember smaller crabs molt more frequently) When they molt, they usually dig down as far as they can go. Depth helps keep other crabs that are just digging to dig from accidentally running into them or smelling them. Pay attention to the tank's footprint (length x width) rather than overall size.
I recently created a deep substrate of 9 inches but I do have a question based on your response. In new substrate and crabs digging to the bottom, how do they maintain air and will they be able to make it back up t the top without suffocating? I do keep the dirt moist my misting a couple of times a day but does that mist make it down to that depth?

What I also did was for every 2 inches i poured, i misted the dirt then added another 2 inches to try to create dirt strong enough to hold when they dig so they don't suffocate. Is that the right thing to do? I just worry about crabs suffocating on their own.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:01 pm

Your substrate should be moistened to "sand castle consistency", meaning it should hold shape when you make a little hole. Misting the surface as needed should help maintain it. I always suggest giving it a good mix now and then *if all your crabs are ever up at the same time.

When they dig down to molt, they close off tunnels and create a cave of sorts around them so that they can move around some and won't suffocate. They should have no trouble resurfacing as long as your substrate doesn't dry out.

Topic author
Crab_Coalition

Post by Crab_Coalition » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:58 pm

CallaLily wrote:Your substrate should be moistened to "sand castle consistency", meaning it should hold shape when you make a little hole. Misting the surface as needed should help maintain it. I always suggest giving it a good mix now and then *if all your crabs are ever up at the same time.

When they dig down to molt, they close off tunnels and create a cave of sorts around them so that they can move around some and won't suffocate. They should have no trouble resurfacing as long as your substrate doesn't dry out.
That sounds very encouraging. I will keep the listing up 2-3 times a day.

I did that with my other substrate and when i used my finger to create a whole it had that wet sand consistancy...since this is new substrate, it is slowly starting to take form but I had several crabs dive in within minutes so i am hoping the moisture will slowly and gradually create great conditions for them to resurface.

Topic author
Crab_Coalition

Post by Crab_Coalition » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:59 pm

Crab_Coalition wrote:That sounds very encouraging. I will keep the listing up 2-3 times a day.

I did that with my other substrate and when i used my finger to create a whole it had that wet sand consistancy...since this is new substrate, it is slowly starting to take form but I had several crabs dive in within minutes so i am hoping the moisture will slowly and gradually create great conditions for them to resurface.
I can actually see 2 caves with either a claw or leg hanging out. LOL

Topic author
Crab_Coalition

Post by Crab_Coalition » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:25 pm

Crab_Coalition wrote:I may sound like an idiot here but is it the long black screen-like item? if not, describe it to me please.
Where can I buy a large heater like the one in this photo? The only hermit crab type heaters i see are the low 4 watt types and nothing larger. I then have to assume this is another type of heater modified for the tank? If i can get the model and maybe order online I would greatly appreciate it.

Topic author
Crab_Coalition

Post by Crab_Coalition » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:27 pm

Crab_Coalition wrote: Where can I buy a large heater like the one in this photo? The only hermit crab type heaters i see are the low 4 watt types and nothing larger. I then have to assume this is another type of heater modified for the tank? If i can get the model and maybe order online I would greatly appreciate it.
PLEASE DISREGARD! I didn't pay enough attention to see that the person actually gave me the info. Thank you. (-: