UK Hermit Crab Owner!! Where is everyone from??!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Pixilocks

UK Hermit Crab Owner!! Where is everyone from??!

Post by Pixilocks » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:58 pm

Hi Guys!!!! (Or girls) :):)

I am new to crabbing! Just over a week old and already feeling the utter dread/panic of 'Am i doing the right thing?! Whats happening?!' Total Stress!!!!

So a little about me - I did Animal Care and management at college and we had this little solitary crab kept in the worst conditions (At that time i Didn't know much about them) I asked what it was/ what species etc and was met with 'I'm not sure I think its a hermit Crab' It was kept in a small plastic box with not even one inch of calci sand and that was it! :o I was there two years and it was still living when i left Surprisingly!!, I asked to adopt it but they wouldn't let me :(

Ever since college I have been researching them, I just felt an instant connection and knew I wanted to give them A safe warm home! , Now, 4 years later after extensive research, Finally took the plunge and became a Hermie owner!

They are not that popular in the UK so I found it extremely difficult to come by them, I ended up moving city and found a shop that had some in stock, I now own 6 PP's to a rather large Exo Terra Vivarium (The Largest you can get) Are there any more UK owners here on HCA ????

Anyway, I am looking forward to the ride that is looking after Hermies! And would love to make friends on the forum :)

Sarah :banana: :banana: :banana:

hermitcrab24

Re: UK Hermit Crab Owner!! Where is everyone from??!

Post by hermitcrab24 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi there!
My name is Bonnie. I have had hermit crabs for a couple years now. I live in the US.

Glad to see you have decided to take in some hermit crabs!! They are so amazing.

Don't worry, the stress will die down once you realize what you are doing and you are stable. But I'm not gonna lie, there is always stress with them, because there is little formal research done on them, and there are a lot of things we don't know. But the Hermit Crab Association is a great place to ask and answer questions, this has been a great resource for me!!

I'm sure you will find many great friends here. :)

Bonnie

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:52 pm

Welcome, Pixilocks! Most of our members appear to be in the US but there are quite a number in Canada, Australia and the Far East so there must be other UK-ers.

As @hermitcrab24 said, we all stress out in the beginning, trying to be perfect crab parents, but, no matter how much we figure out, there are always going to be surprises and not all of them good. HCA has been a lifesaver for me and my crab family and now that we've merged with LHC, there are even more dedicated crab keepers to offer advice and share stories (and pictures :D ).
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:19 am

Welcome to HCA! I really hope you like it here.
I remember a HCA user that's from the UK - just don't remember the name - but I am sure that there is somebody else - or two! :D
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Pixilocks

Post by Pixilocks » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:06 am

Heh heh heh, Only curious.. Alot of products / recommendations are hard to come buy in the UK and I only know of one Online shop that sells Hermie foods.. Although happy they are not as big here it would be great to see more products for them available here . International Shipping is expensive !

I am happy to find an online community though, seems like a great group :)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:48 am

Pixilocks wrote:Heh heh heh, Only curious.. Alot of products / recommendations are hard to come buy in the UK and I only know of one Online shop that sells Hermie foods.. Although happy they are not as big here it would be great to see more products for them available here . International Shipping is expensive !

I am happy to find an online community though, seems like a great group :)
I know you voiced how expensive international shipping is - I feel your pain - but did you consider about getting some supplies from Europe? Would there be a large fee to pay?
(Sorry; I can't help that much... On the other side of the world ;) )

I glad that you have had a good experience with the group so far; most people would say the same thing too! :D
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Pixilocks

Post by Pixilocks » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:17 pm

I think ive managed to find everything I need, the biggest problem I had was shells but I found an online store that sold in bulk from within the UK so I am now fine!

I plan to post my setup tomorrow, when its a little lighter!

Not sure about USA or Australia but fish tanks are super expensive here :o I ended up getting a vivarium instead!

orangeinecrab

Post by orangeinecrab » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:37 pm

Hi I live in the UK but it seems the site is mainly US and I also have 3 hermit crabs and welcome :)

Topic author
Pixilocks

Post by Pixilocks » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:26 am

Ahhhh! @Orangeinecrab do you mind if I message you a few questions about the products you use/set up etc! You are the only person ive seen to live in the UK and own crabbies - :clap: