help! saving new rescue

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Carahj3

help! saving new rescue

Post by Carahj3 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:56 am

Thursday I went to Petco to pick up a new bulb for my original tank, when I saw an old friend of mine working there. She was checking out the hermies with me, when we saw Hope. I picked up a little tree in there, and she rolled out and didn't attempted to get up. I immediately noticed something wrong with her, so I picked her up and realized she only has 3 legs. One of the missing limbs is also the big pincher.
My friend saw this happening, and told me if I thought I could save her I could have her for free. soo.... of course, I took her home!
it seems like she's terrified in the crabitat; I think she was attacked. I have her in my 10 gal ISO tank, and if you set her in there, she won't move. but, if she's in my hand, I can get her to almost change shells and she will eat. obviously I'm no longer handling her due to her stress.
she's currently hanging out in her little moss pit and hasnt left since yesterday morning. I just want her to make it, or at least have a shot.
Is there anything I can do to boost her possibility of survival?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LadyMorrgian

Re: help! saving new rescue

Post by LadyMorrgian » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:36 pm

Poor little crab! It's good she got to come home to a good home.

Good conditions, high energy foods and some peace are what she needs most of all.

What foods are you feeding her?

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:40 pm

Well, I'm no expert, but it sounds like if she was relaxed enough to eat when you were holding her, then you aren't what's stressing her out most. Crabs with missing limbs have to be handled if they need help eating and drinking, right? I think follow your instincts on this and do what seems best for the poor little crabby. I hope others with more experience will weigh in soon. Good luck!

Topic author
Carahj3

Post by Carahj3 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:17 am

thank you both! she has mango with honey, cranberries, almond slices, flax seeds, wheat, a calcium mix of honey, bee pollen, calcium mix, color boosting mix, and oyster shells. then she had a cricket and 2 river shrimp. shes a bit over fed... lol!

that was also my gathering on handling her due to her situation, especially without a big pincher but I just don't know? I'd like advice on that. I just don't want to disrupt her hopeful soon to be molting process

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:34 am

They can actually eat their own hard exoskeleton without any limbs or claws. Their mouthparts are powerful! They don't really need our help when injured, past making sure they are isolated from other crabs for safety, and setting them up so they can get to food and water at any time. (Or placing them in shallow water dishes a few times a day if they are completely immobile.)

With three limbs she should still be able to get around pretty well, albeit slowly. If she's in the moss it's probably where she's most comfortable. What is the temperature and humidity in various places around the tank? It could be the warmest, moistest place.

She's at very high risk for Post Purchase Syndrome - more info and ideas to combat it are here: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=92531

And we also have an article on what to do when a crab is attacked: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=92528
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Carahj3

Post by Carahj3 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:14 pm

I'm sorry it took me a few days to respond, but her temperate is at 74 degrees (her petco tank was around 65ish) and humidity at 90%.

I just went to check on her, and is turned the opposite direction in the moss pit than she has been for days, and she looks partially out of her shell. She didnt respond to my phone light and me cracking the cage lid as she usually does. I'm afraid she may have passed away. I'm scared to check, because I don't want her to actually be attempting a molt or anything and disturb her and make it worse. Is she dead? What should I do? Please help. Idk if I should post this under another subject or not to get the help I need.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:51 pm

If the temp at Petco really was 65, that could have done damage. We've had people loose crabs before when kept for several days at that temperature. Anything below 70 is dangerous. Ideally, they do best right around 80.

If she has passed, you'll be able to tell by the smell soon enough. :( That's what we normally tell people who aren't sure if the crab is molting or dead - wait for the death smell. A dead crab is rank, and there is usually no missing it.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Carahj3

Post by Carahj3 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:14 am

That's what my course of action is as of now. And yeah I know, she said the tank was low at the time, and that shipment had only been in there a couple days... But yeah. Pet store temps are never okay, usually. :( if she did pass, it's nothing I didn't already plan for.. But still sad :( I just didn't know if anyone had any idea of which one is more probable, although I genuinely know the answer :(:(