Mixing crabs???

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
topbunkbear

Mixing crabs???

Post by topbunkbear » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:48 pm

Hi, I'm currently the proud owner of 2 hermies from the pet store. I'm on vacation right now, and sadly I've seen countless hermit crabs for sale. I want to buy one so it's removed from those horrible conditions, but I'm nervous that the new crab can cause my others to get sick or die.

I do not have an isolation tank or medication for my crabs.

Should I buy one or leave em be?

Jamison

Re: Mixing crabs???

Post by Jamison » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:41 pm

Leave them. Don't support the industry. It's great that you want to save them, but it's better to boycott the industry.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:11 pm

I would also leave them. Buy one and they’ll just bring in more to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:31 pm

But if you would like to get one, anything can serve as a temporary iso, really. Rubbermaid totes or boxes; as long as you get in them once a day they should be fine, or otherwise make holes.
Boycotting the industry would be great, but it’s impossible to do completely and still keep crabs. Don’t let anyone make you feel bad about that. Adopting is of course the best course to adding to your crew, if you can find someone in your area.
However, all that said, the beach really is the worst place for keeping and selling crabs in horrible conditions, giving terrible care advice, and mistreating them in between.
So, it’s up to you, if you fall in love with one of them then you can sort the rest out when you get home. You shouldn’t need to iso him for very long, unless you think something is wrong with them. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~Gene My PP clan

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:28 pm

Let it go. Check out the adoption page on here if you'd like to add to your crabby family. I understand how you feel!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:23 pm

Adding new crabs is one of those things, that regardless of where you're getting the new individual from, can your tank support another crab? Once they grow, will the tank accommodate 3 or more larger crabs?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:07 pm

If you live somewhere that doesn't have hermit crabs up for adoption that often and you want to get one quickly it should be fine. I read on some website that someone who was in charge said "that it was always order more crabs". Not how many were bought, taken, stayed, or passed. It was just buy more crabs. anyways, look for one that is not in a painted shell (if there is any), no lost limbs, loooks healthy, and it is probably better if they have been there for a week or less. The crabs I got were only ther for like 1 or 2 days, and they all survived (including my brother's). I think it is recommended to adopt one though. I hope it goes well!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️