Old member, new crabs

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Luckymom

Old member, new crabs

Post by Luckymom » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:37 am

Hi! I’ve been a member for a while, but never did introduce myself. Regardless, I have three new PP! I admit that I regret their journey here, but it was the only way I had to get more crabs!
I just moved my old two PP into a 55 gallon tank. They are about three or so years-old. A friend was tired of taking care of them for her daughter. I was like most people in that I didn’t know what I didn’t know! Fortunately, that changed before she brought them. She visited for a few days, and made sure I was on track.
After several years of keeping them, I decided my big tank was going to waste in a shed outside. I was either putting crabs in it, or using it as a brooder for my fowl. Crabs won! :lol: You know I had to get more sand and ee, plus another heating pad, so I may as well get more dishes and a few more crabs. :hlol:
There was the issue. The nearest place (store, beach or another crab owner) is two hours away. So, I looked at reviews, and ordered three new PP. They arrived today, and as the mailman tossed the box to me sideways... :evil: I didn’t raise my voice, but they are going to be avoiding me for a while.
All are still fine after twelve hours. They are in the 20 gallon, and while it’s not the beach, I think they are happy enough. After the trip they had, wouldn’t you be glad to be on land?
One human, one dog, various fowl and 4 PP hermit crabs.

Xenocrab

Re: Old member, new crabs

Post by Xenocrab » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:27 am

These are a year old in October. You must have some tiny crabs!ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
Luckymom

Post by Luckymom » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:00 am

Isn’t it funny how tiny they are?

Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:20 pm

They are so cute!!! I’ve never seen such tiny crabs!

Badmouse

Post by Badmouse » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:40 pm

so cute! welcome new crabbies! may they have long happy lives with you :) where did you get that measuring matt that could come in handy!
Joked about being a crazy cat lady..
Turns out it’s crazy crab AND cat lady
2 PPs Captain Lee (the stud of the sea) & New Adoptee "Kyle" to be renamed
In the process of adopting 4 more
3 cat babies
RIP Unamed PP😔
Fell deep into this hermit crab hole and I’m not coming back

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:57 pm

They came in the adoption packets along with the babies.

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
Luckymom

Post by Luckymom » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:09 pm

Of my three new crabs, one died quickly, one is alive to my knowledge, and one emerged today, but seems off tonight. I’m hoping it’s just still adjusting.

Badmouse

Post by Badmouse » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:28 am

Xenocrab wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:57 pm
They came in the adoption packets along with the babies.

I'm definitely going to look for one online, could probably figure out how to make one myself too. Thats a great thing to have to track everyones growth coming in and as time goes on. a lot easier than eyeballing it for new shells too I'd think.
3 cat babies
RIP Unamed PP😔

gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Badmouse wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:28 am
I'm definitely going to look for one online, could probably figure out how to make one myself too. Thats a great thing to have to track everyones growth coming in and as time goes on. a lot easier than eyeballing it for new shells too I'd think.
Those charts are excellent for gauging the overall size of your crab, but for determining shell size requirements more precisely many of us use calipers (this is the one I have: https://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/Shell-O ... /ac004.htm). Online shell shops that cater to hermit crab keepers (HCP, Naples, etc.) will list the shell opening size to assist shoppers, which is fantastic.

Badmouse

Post by Badmouse » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:49 pm

gunstreet.girl wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:14 pm
Those charts are excellent for gauging the overall size of your crab, but for determining shell size requirements more precisely many of us use calipers (this is the one I have: https://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/Shell-O ... /ac004.htm). Online shell shops that cater to hermit crab keepers (HCP, Naples, etc.) will list the shell opening size to assist shoppers, which is fantastic.
Okay that is awesome and it makes so much sense that this exists. I'm over here ordering every size under the moon hoping a few of them are the proper size, guesstimating my opening sizes so this is great! Thank you for sharing that link with me I'll be purchasing one! :cheer:
3 cat babies
RIP Unamed PP😔