New and Nervous Owner

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
jwhite82

Re: New and Nervous Owner

Post by jwhite82 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:30 pm

I have decided to ditch the heat lamp. It was keeping the temperature the high 80s and at times 90. My wife first bought a UTH and we put it on the tank on Monday, but it wasn't keeping the tank hot enough, so I bought the heat lamp. Now the heat lamp is making it too hot. After doing some research, I've found that my wife bought a 1-5 G rated UTH and we have a 10 G tank. The current UTH is keeping the tank at 72 degrees. I believe with a properly rated 10-20 G UTH the temperature will be perfect!

gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:57 am

jwhite82 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:30 pm
I have decided to ditch the heat lamp. It was keeping the temperature the high 80s and at times 90. My wife first bought a UTH and we put it on the tank on Monday, but it wasn't keeping the tank hot enough, so I bought the heat lamp. Now the heat lamp is making it too hot. After doing some research, I've found that my wife bought a 1-5 G rated UTH and we have a 10 G tank. The current UTH is keeping the tank at 72 degrees. I believe with a properly rated 10-20 G UTH the temperature will be perfect!
Sounds like a great plan. Heat lamps have their place, but in my experience that place is not heating crabitats. I would suggest, when you’re shopping for a UTH, to get one that you can insulate.

Topic author
jwhite82

Post by jwhite82 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:27 pm

gunstreet.girl wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:57 am
Sounds like a great plan. Heat lamps have their place, but in my experience that place is not heating crabitats. I would suggest, when you’re shopping for a UTH, to get one that you can insulate.
I bought a 10-20 G rated Zoo Med UTH yesterday. With it and the 1-5 G UTH on the tank, it has been staying between 75-80 degrees. I know you suggested one that can be insulated, which I don't think Zoo Med can, but I didn't want to wait for an Ultratherm to be delivered.

As far as a larger tank, they will be getting a 20G for Christmas. Our dog and hamster are getting presents, so I figure it's only fair for our hermies to get something too.

Topic author
jwhite82

Post by jwhite82 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:35 am

Hello again. Almost a week has gone by and everything seems to be going ok. I have gotten temp and humidity stabilized. However, I have noticed in the last two days my daughter's crab has lost a couple of legs. Her first crab lost a couple of legs and ended up dying, but we didn't have "her" in a good environment. Her new crab has been in a good environment the last week. Is there anything I can do to help, you think? Maybe some egg shells for calcium?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:36 am

What are you currently feeding him? What do you use for dechlorinator and salt water?

Sometimes previous conditions 'catch up' to a crab later. Even though we have them in good conditions, they can't overcome the time they spent in poor conditions, unfortunately.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
jwhite82

Post by jwhite82 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:27 am

We were using the commercial food which I know is bad. I had also been putting some chopped apple and peanut butter in there.

Yesterday, I made a mix of tuna in water, chopped apple, and plain popcorn. I also put some oats and honey in a different dish. Those are in there now.

For water, I am using zoo med products. I’m not at home so I don’t know the exact name.

Both this crab and the first one have been on the smaller side. I wonder if smaller crabs have a harder time adjusting?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:06 pm

Zoo Med probably isn't the correct water dechlorinator and salt. Most of us use Prime for dechlorinator, as it treats everything that is required. Crabs need marine salt, a product such as Instant Ocean, mixed into the dechlorinated water. Here is the care sheet about water that explains it all:

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=92553

Crabs need a varied diet, including protein and calcium daily. Egg shells are a good source of calcium. You are correct that most commercial foods are not safe becuase of additives and preservatives. There are a few that are all natural. Here are the care sheets about food:

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 25&t=92554

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 25&t=92557

And info about commercial foods:

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 25&t=92555
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

RiNiKy506

New and Nervous Owner

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:01 pm

The larger the crab I think normally has a harder time adjusting than the smaller ones. They’ve had a longer time out in the wild to get used to living that way then get snatched from the wild and thrown wherever, then to pet stores, before they finally find a home. Sometimes before we can get them where they need to be, it can be too late. They’re pretty hardy but yet so sensitive at the same time. Try to get your guy some healing foods to help him recover. Try some honey(organic), decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, cuttlebone, shrimp would all be good to give him an energy boost. There are more on the foods list, that’s just what I thought of quick. Also a better place to get a UTH is reptilebasics.com, they’re cheaper and they can be reused bc you use packing tape or something similar to attach them, they don’t have adhesive on them. IMO they are the best, I’ve had the zoomed and some ipower ones that I didn’t care for. Have it covering the whole back of your tank, from the substrate up. It seems like so much to take in but once you get everything where it needs to be, it’s so rewarding to see your crabbies thrive. I hope your little one pulls through for you. Let us know how s/he does.

Topic author
jwhite82

Post by jwhite82 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:57 am

Hello. Time for my almost weekly update. My daughter's crab died last week. There were no signs of life from him, so I picked him up and another leg fell out. Oh dear. I decided to call the time of death.

I went out and bought another one. I made sure to carefully study the crabs at the pet store to get one that was active and responded well to interaction. Within 24 hrs, the new crab buried himself and has been down all week.

Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:23 pm

One of the first crabs I brought home did that and actually stayed down to molt. Several others will bury for a while and stay down a few days at a time to destress.

It looks like you are doing a good job trying to get all your conditions as good as you can. It's so hard when we first get involved and don't have a clue and possibly get incomplete or inaccurate information about their care or that most of the commercially things sold labeled with"Hermit Crab" are bad for them...

Keep up the good work and just trying to get and keep your conditions right and feeding them a balanced diet.
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

Topic author
jwhite82

Post by jwhite82 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:38 pm

Hello, again. The new crab is still down. Our other crab switched shells the other day. It is exciting to see them exhibit their natural behaviors. As I wrote earlier, the crabs got a 20G tank for Christmas. I know my wife was annoyed with me spending more money on them, but I really think they will be more comfortable and happy in a larger tank.

I know I can't rush the one to come back up faster, but I can't wait for him to comb back up and setup the new 20G and get these fellers in their awesome crabitat.

Happy New Year!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:25 pm

jwhite82 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:38 pm
Hello, again. The new crab is still down. Our other crab switched shells the other day. It is exciting to see them exhibit their natural behaviors. As I wrote earlier, the crabs got a 20G tank for Christmas. I know my wife was annoyed with me spending more money on them, but I really think they will be more comfortable and happy in a larger tank.

I know I can't rush the one to come back up faster, but I can't wait for him to comb back up and setup the new 20G and get these fellers in their awesome crabitat.

Happy New Year!
Here's a suggestion. Set up the new tank. Heat/humidity... and transfer over the crabs that are above ground. Keep the current tank up and running. If you wait until all are above ground, you may wait for a long time. One comes up, 2 go down...
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi