Are they fighting or?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
IsabellaLusk

Are they fighting or?

Post by IsabellaLusk » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:25 am

So I have had two hermits, from what I understand they are about seven years old. Today I got another crab from someone on Facebook. I put them all in a new enclosure and one of my crabs keeps getting on top of the new one. He keeps like tipping the other ones shell towards him. Not sure what they’re doing. Should I be worried? Should I separate? Is this normal? I haven’t done this before hahaha

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Are they fighting or?

Post by wodesorel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:45 am

Yeah, it's a territorial thing because they feel each other are invaders. Best thing to do is dip them all in the freshwater pool - it makes them all smell the same and usually that is enough to settle them all down again.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
IsabellaLusk

Post by IsabellaLusk » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:28 pm

Okay thank you! Seemed to help a lot.

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:25 pm

For future note it would be best to take all of your above surface crabs and put them in a shallow pool of water together with any new additions for at least 10-20 minutes. I have a large glass bowl that I use for the aforementioned process, which is escape proof and solves any aggression problems.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:40 pm

A quick dip in the fresh water will make them all smell the same, no need to soak them and possibly stress them out.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:57 pm

Yeah, they only need a dip to rinse them off. Anything else is just stressful and unnecessary.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram