What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
moonbeam

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by moonbeam » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:33 pm

megmaholm wrote: I want a big tank too...don't tell my hubby. ;) I'm hoping to get a 90 gallon next year if things go right. I'd love a 125 gallon but have no room for 6 feet of tank. If/when I upgrade, I'd love a few exotics. I offered to buy my husband a hermit crab for his birthday, but strangely he wasn't interested. Ha!
I won't tell if you won't! I'm hoping the next tank will be a 150+ Image of course I know it will probably be a few years before I'm even ready for an upgrade like that but everybody has to have dreams right? And those few years will give my husband time to get over the small heart attack it may give him haha! Someday they'll accept crabbies as birthday presents... Yep... Someday haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:46 pm

Oh man, the possibilities with a tank that big...mmmm.

My husband, despite his protests every time I get another crab, helped me the other night while I photographed all the crabs and measured their shell openings. He's good at updating me if he sees something going on, and is extremely fond of my first hermit crab (Steven). Also, when I want to add something to the tank, he always offers suggestions...after calling me obsessive and crazy, of course.

Oh! I already sent this pic to Kelly, and she of course called me crazy, but this is going in the tank later this month:

I also bought a short strand of Christmas lights to wrap around the outside of the tank, and I have those self-sticky gummy-type window decals that are holiday-themed to slap on the front. Maybe I am a little crazy.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:09 pm

I love the tree! It's no crazy it's cute! Your crabs will love crawling all over that! If I wasn't trying to find decorations for the actual house I'd probably dec out the tank too! There's always next year :) it's sweet that your husband helps you with your crabs! I think they have to put up a half hearted "really??" Just because it's the husband thing to do. But the best thing about marrying your best friend is that they'll always (eventually) get into our crazy schemes! Even if it's just because they love us Image

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

MgnB

Post by MgnB » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:55 pm

megmaholm wrote:Oh man, the possibilities with a tank that big...mmmm.

My husband, despite his protests every time I get another crab, helped me the other night while I photographed all the crabs and measured their shell openings. He's good at updating me if he sees something going on, and is extremely fond of my first hermit crab (Steven). Also, when I want to add something to the tank, he always offers suggestions...after calling me obsessive and crazy, of course.

Oh! I already sent this pic to Kelly, and she of course called me crazy, but this is going in the tank later this month:

I also bought a short strand of Christmas lights to wrap around the outside of the tank, and I have those self-sticky gummy-type window decals that are holiday-themed to slap on the front. Maybe I am a little crazy.
I love the decorations Meg. Gave me great ideas.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:58 pm

Thanks guys, you make me feel a little better about my sanity. :hlol: My personal Christmas decorations are minimal because I have 3 cats, but I can go crazy on the crabitat at least!

moonshermies

Post by moonshermies » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:44 am

Awwww that tree is crazy cute!! this weekend, I upgraded my small 10 g tank for a 23 gal tote for the time being..The humidity is holding @91%, while the temp is only @71..so im still tweaking a bit, temp wise..Violet & Sunset could have caredless that I was doing this for them!! lol..Found out that my husband hates the smell of fresh EE.grrrrrr...

Sent from my HTC EVO, using tapatalk 2
Mom to 3 children,&2 adorable medium PPS..Not a new member..My old sn was deleted after a hiatus from the death of my pp 2 yrs ago..

lemonade2

Post by lemonade2 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:37 am

My newly surfaced crab is just clinging onto a piece of coconut and going crazy on it. My other crab is just doing his normal lazy routine by doing absolutely nothing until 12am :D

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:03 am

FINALLY one of my crabs is using the rope I put in like...a week ago. Thank you, Phyl.

Then this morning she had knocked all the shells out of the shop that is for my teeny crab, and parked her fat butt in it. Really?!

My Ultratherm will be here Wednesday. I'm hoping it's magical enough to eliminate the need for my heat lamp, but we'll see.

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:48 pm

moonshermies wrote:Awwww that tree is crazy cute!! this weekend, I upgraded my small 10 g tank for a 23 gal tote for the time being..The humidity is holding @91%, while the temp is only @71..so im still tweaking a bit, temp wise..Violet & Sunset could have caredless that I was doing this for them!! lol..Found out that my husband hates the smell of fresh EE.grrrrrr...

Sent from my HTC EVO, using tapatalk 2
I had my crabs in a tote for the first 4 months I owned them. They LOVED the tote. I swear when I moved them back in it to redo the tank they threw a party. I think they loved how private it was. They didn't seem to care when I opened it for food/water changes. They freak anytime I come near the tank. For anything. Except Bash. He's my fearless crab who never blinks an eye. Anyways, I'm sure your crabs will enjoy it for a whileImage

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:54 pm

lemonade2 wrote:My newly surfaced crab is just clinging onto a piece of coconut and going crazy on it. My other crab is just doing his normal lazy routine by doing absolutely nothing until 12am :D
I just watch a YouTube video on how to crack a fresh coconut. I'm very interested in trying this out soon! Good to know the crabs enjoy them so much!
megmaholm wrote:FINALLY one of my crabs is using the rope I put in like...a week ago. Thank you, Phyl.

Then this morning she had knocked all the shells out of the shop that is for my teeny crab, and parked her fat butt in it. Really?!

My Ultratherm will be here Wednesday. I'm hoping it's magical enough to eliminate the need for my heat lamp, but we'll see.
yay for someone finally using that rope Image I'm hoping to put one of those bad boys in the tank eventually. What size ultratherm did you order?

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:57 pm

I ordered the 11 x 35. I thought about getting the 11 x 47 so it would cover almost the entire back of the tank, but decided against it.

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:03 pm

That 11x35 should work great. I have an 11x47 on my tank and haven't had to insulate it. I think the size you ordered will eliminate your need for the heat lamp ultratherms are pretty awesome imo.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:10 pm

That's good to know, thanks! I probably will insulate it since we keep our house pretty cool. It's such a pain to get into the tank when I have 2 heat bulbs and then a LED daylight bulb. I'd really like a glass lid at some point if the heat lamp isn't needed anymore. I'm great at spending money. :lol:

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:18 pm

No prob! I'm thinking with the cold temps settling in that I'm gonna have to watch my tank in case I end up needed to insulate it at some point. You just never know lol. And I totally get being good at spending money. I tell my husband that crabbing is like retail therapy to me (I guess it kind of is retail therapy... I've just never been a big spender unless it's pet related) And sometimes with the receipt to prove it!

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:07 pm

Same here - I'll drop tons of money on my pets/crabs without batting an eye, but I can barely justify spending more than $10 for a shirt for myself. :lol: I have so many dried foods for them, but I figure that's not a big deal since they don't eat much - so I spend a lot up front, but it lasts forever. I got an awesome deal on the 55 gallon tank thanks to Kelly on here, and shells aren't too expensive since I don't have many crabs who need 1+" openings.

Of course, no way will I sit down and add up the total amount I've spent in the 4 months I've had them, because I would probably keel over and die from shock.