What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

hermitcrabdc

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by hermitcrabdc » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:11 pm

It seems that most of the money I spend now a days are for the hermit crabs lol, is that good or bad?!
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

parker_roo

Post by parker_roo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:14 pm

I love the idea of starting this topic! It's a great place to share the excitement we have about our crabs!

Last night and today, I caught my Ollie climbing on things! This is a big deal to me, because I have put so many things in my crabitat for my crabs to climb on, but I have never seen them climb on a single thing. Well until last night, I came home and went into my room to find Ollie perched on a stick. This may not seem so impressive, until you see that she is hanging on it side ways, and the stick is vertical, going straight towards the top of the tank! I never have gotten to see the impressive climbing abilities that my crabs have. Then today, when I got home, I saw Ollie out again, on top of a platform of sticks that I made. I have never seen her on top of that platform, which I put so much time in to building it. I am always jealous to see all these cool pictures of people's hermit crabs climbing on things. But I have finally seen the amazingness of their talents! I am excited to see what Ollie decides to do next! Here is a picture of Ollie chillin' on the stick. I never got a chance to take a picture of her on the platform I built.

The fact that Ollie can stay on that stick, and be half way in her shell is very impressive to me. I hope you guys enjoy what I have posted, because I sure know that I enjoy your posts so much! Image
***Let the crabby adventures begin!***

parker_roo

Post by parker_roo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:18 pm

hermitcrabdc wrote:It seems that most of the money I spend now a days are for the hermit crabs lol, is that good or bad?!
Haha, I understand that completely! I am still deciding myself, if it is good or bad that I've spent so much money on my crabs. Especially when I first got them, I spent around $200 on them. Yeah, I think that is the most I have spent on a pet, besides my dog's medical bills.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:19 pm

parker_roo wrote:I love the idea of starting this topic! It's a great place to share the excitement we have about our crabs!

Last night and today, I caught my Ollie climbing on things! This is a big deal to me, because I have put so many things in my crabitat for my crabs to climb on, but I have never seen them climb on a single thing. Well until last night, I came home and went into my room to find Ollie perched on a stick. This may not seem so impressive, until you see that she is hanging on it side ways, and the stick is vertical, going straight towards the top of the tank! I never have gotten to see the impressive climbing abilities that my crabs have. Then today, when I got home, I saw Ollie out again, on top of a platform of sticks that I made. I have never seen her on top of that platform, which I put so much time in to building it. I am always jealous to see all these cool pictures of people's hermit crabs climbing on things. But I have finally seen the amazingness of their talents! I am excited to see what Ollie decides to do next! Here is a picture of Ollie chillin' on the stick. I never got a chance to take a picture of her on the platform I built.

The fact that Ollie can stay on that stick, and be half way in her shell is very impressive to me. I hope you guys enjoy what I have posted, because I sure know that I enjoy your posts so much! Image
Yay Ollie!! Nice pics :) I'm always amazed at their climbing skills. I've had some be hanging sideways on something, and if I reach into the tank they suck almost all the way back in but cling for dear life with the tips of their toes.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:21 pm

That's really cool! The first time I provided a way for the hermits to get to the screen lid I was shocked to find one of them on the lid later that day lol, the crabs always surprise me. You can never underestimate the abilities of the hermit crabs.

parker_roo

Post by parker_roo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:26 pm

megmaholm wrote:Yay Ollie!! Nice pics :) I'm always amazed at their climbing skills. I've had some be hanging sideways on something, and if I reach into the tank they suck almost all the way back in but cling for dear life with the tips of their toes.
Thank you! And Ollie did the exact same thing when I approached the tank. She is super shy, and I felt really bad, because I had to mist my moss pits and change the food, which caused her to become nervous and went straight into her shell, causing her to fall off the stick. I ended up sitting her shell up so that she could move easily. But day after day, Ollie starts to "come out of her shell." She used to always go into her shell if she saw any movement, but now she will walk around in the tank, if I walk by, without jumping into her shell. I hope that one day, she will be more comfortable with me, and be able to not be scared of me.

parker_roo

Post by parker_roo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:29 pm

hermitcrabdc wrote:That's really cool! The first time I provided a way for the hermits to get to the screen lid I was shocked to find one of them on the lid later that day lol, the crabs always surprise me. You can never underestimate the abilities of the hermit crabs.
Yeah, my crabs tend to surprise me too! Especially because I am fairly new to crabbing. I got my two crabs at the end of August. One thing that I love and find impressive is when I hear my crabs making their chipping noise at night. It is such a unique, cool sounding noise, that just makes me wonder how they do it.

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:47 pm

parker_roo wrote:I love the idea of starting this topic! It's a great place to share the excitement we have about our crabs!

congrats on finally catching one of your crabs climbing! I know how frustrating it can be to try and entice them to climb and watch them sit.... For over a month or more. Oh and I love the net wood platform you made! You can really tell you put some effort into it Image I'm glad the crabs are showing their appreciation finally!

I did have this one piece of driftwood the crabs loved. They took to it the first day I put it in their tank. I couldn't fit it in the new tank when I redecorated it so I'm sure they miss it. They would climb all over it, have "group meetings" at night where they'd all sit together on top. I have two crabs in particular who loved to sleep hanging from the under side of it. I wish I had a picture of it. When I get around to redoing the tank again (and I'm giving them a nice long break from change for a while) I'll have to put it back in so I can show off my acrobats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:55 pm

Oh I wish I could have got a photo of my biggest crab sleeping upside down holding onto my suspended branch. Just sleeping like a bat! You all would have loved it!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Ever since I got my 2 newest crabs, Mario & Yoshi, there has been SO much chirping in my tank. No fights at all, just chirpchirpchirp all the time. I can't fully blame them since I haven't confirmed they're the ones doing it, but it's sure a strange coincidence. Silly crabs.

The troublemakers:
^ Yoshi. He's missing a leg, poor guy, but he's feisty.

^ Mario. He's my serial shell-shopper. Seriously, he'll try on one or 2 new ones a day. :roll: He wasn't very happy about his quick bath to get sand off.

And see how good my hubby is? He held ALL my crabs last week so I could get pics of them. :D
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:45 pm

So that's how they get on the hydrometer...

After about an hour of just standing on top of the hydrometer, it fell down. But he wouldn't let go for dear life! look at this, he's just holding on to it like "Oh crap he's trying to take my precious hydrometer"

Also, I installed a saltwater beach a couple days ago :D

Hermy seems to like it

He must really like it, he's been there for about 3 or 4 hours now
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:41 pm

Any one here In the CT area? Like have 2 PPs I'm trying to help find a home- I know this isn't the adoption board but we talk about adoptions a lot! Just throwing it out there because I really don't have the room.
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:44 pm

Shane that's super cute, my hermit crabs went through a phase where they loved the gauge but now they don't climb on it very much.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:09 pm

megmaholm wrote:Thanks guys, you make me feel a little better about my sanity. :hlol: My personal Christmas decorations are minimal because I have 3 cats, but I can go crazy on the crabitat at least!
No, no. You are crazy. Lol but I am right there with you!
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:57 pm

hermitcrabdc wrote:Shane that's super cute, my hermit crabs went through a phase where they loved the gauge but now they don't climb on it very much.
I used to have one of those stick-on-the-tank-wall analog thermometer/hygrometers and all of the crabs over the years loooooved making their way onto it, hanging for hours :) . How they got there was a mystery as it was on the long wall with nothing nearby to climb up on. I'd often catch one of them hanging on, several legs frantically waving, with that "oh, crap" look: "How did I get up here and how am I going to get down?" -- the usual option was, "Oh, I know! Let go and fall onto the substrate!" With the Acurite digital on its A-frame base, they now either knock it onto its face (it sits in front of the climbing net) or partially bury it. Felix (of course, it's always Felix) often goes up to it and taps on the hyrometer's face as though he's asking if the reading's correct :lol: .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster