What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
moonbeam

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by moonbeam » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:28 pm

shanedaman112 wrote:So that's how they get on the hydrometer...

After about an hour of just standing on top of the hydrometer, it fell down. But he wouldn't let go for dear life! look at this, he's just holding on to it like "Oh crap he's trying to take my precious hydrometer"

Also, I installed a saltwater beach a couple days ago :D

Hermy seems to like it

He must really like it, he's been there for about 3 or 4 hours now
Crabinski wrote: I used to have one of those stick-on-the-tank-wall analog thermometer/hygrometers and all of the crabs over the years loooooved making their way onto it, hanging for hours :) . How they got there was a mystery as it was on the long wall with nothing nearby to climb up on. I'd often catch one of them hanging on, several legs frantically waving, with that "oh, crap" look: "How did I get up here and how am I going to get down?" -- the usual option was, "Oh, I know! Let go and fall onto the substrate!" With the Acurite digital on its A-frame base, they now either knock it onto its face (it sits in front of the climbing net) or partially bury it. Felix (of course, it's always Felix) often goes up to it and taps on the hyrometer's face as though he's asking if the reading's correct :lol: .
This is hilarious! I have yet to see any of my crabs climb to get to the gauge but maybe in time they will Image btw Shane love the pool! It looks awesome. And crabinski, your little Felix is becoming one of my favorite crabs to read about! Always causing so much trouble haha. Sounds like he's a blast to watch.
Ryry wrote:Any one here In the CT area? Like have 2 PPs I'm trying to help find a home- I know this isn't the adoption board but we talk about adoptions a lot! Just throwing it out there because I really don't have the room.
Man ryry, you are hotspot for adoptions! Maybe I need just need to move to CT to get in on this action... Then again I love sweet tea! Maybe I'll just wait till the action comes my way someday... Good luck finding the pps a home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks moon, I really didn't expect all this action. I wish I had my own place now because I feel like I should start a rescue!
You should come move up here and we can be crabby best friends lol
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

parker_roo

Post by parker_roo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:39 pm

So something interesting just happened, and I thought I would share with you guys. I walked in on my crab changing shells! I came into my room, turned on the light, and went to go check out the tank. My hermit crab, Ollie, was out of her shell, in the process of choosing a new one. I saw her entire body, including her abdomen! It was so interesting to see in person, the naked hermit crab. I do feel bad, because Ollie jumped right back into her old shell, because she was scared. I hope she is able to change shells to the one she wants, and I am hoping that I didn't ruin this process. But I think hermit crabs are so fascinating! I love how they protect themselves by carrying a shell on their backs. I thought you guys would be interested as well, so I decided to share. I just wish I could have gotten a picture of it to show you guys, but she was too fast getting back into her old shell for protection.
***Let the crabby adventures begin!***

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:47 pm

I actually have video of Lulu changing him shells, but its on a physical tape :/ I saw him change 2 times with my own eyes but he has changed 5-6 times
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Crabinski wrote: I used to have one of those stick-on-the-tank-wall analog thermometer/hygrometers and all of the crabs over the years loooooved making their way onto it, hanging for hours :) . How they got there was a mystery as it was on the long wall with nothing nearby to climb up on. I'd often catch one of them hanging on, several legs frantically waving, with that "oh, crap" look: "How did I get up here and how am I going to get down?" -- the usual option was, "Oh, I know! Let go and fall onto the substrate!" With the Acurite digital on its A-frame base, they now either knock it onto its face (it sits in front of the climbing net) or partially bury it. Felix (of course, it's always Felix) often goes up to it and taps on the hyrometer's face as though he's asking if the reading's correct :lol: .
I love felix! :lol:
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:50 pm

Ryry wrote:Thanks moon, I really didn't expect all this action. I wish I had my own place now because I feel like I should start a rescue!
You should come move up here and we can be crabby best friends lol
that would be AWESOME! We could start a Hermie rescue and just build bigger and better tanks with all kinds of crazy decorations. It would be paradise!

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:04 pm

moonbeam wrote: that would be AWESOME! We could start a Hermie rescue and just build bigger and better tanks with all kinds of crazy decorations. It would be paradise!

Dude it would b awesome! We could make all our own food and save hermies! I'm planning to do a lot more in my garden next year to start making crab mixes!
All kinds of crabby!

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:05 pm

Ryry wrote: Dude it would b awesome! We could make all our own food and save hermies! I'm planning to do a lot more in my garden next year to start making crab mixes!
it's settled. Gotta move to CT. Wonder what the hubs will think haha!

Ryry

What are your crabs up to?

Post by Ryry » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:07 pm

Lol yup I'll have to explain to my man why suddenly I have even MORE crabs... Lol
All kinds of crabby!

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:54 pm

I have a video of one of mine changing as well. Along with my commentary.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:07 pm

I've seen quite a few of my guys change shells, either because I'm lucky or they like to show off their naked bodies. :lol: I won't lie, their squishy butts freak me out. I had to handle/re-shell a naked, soft, freshly molted crab I saved from a petstore, and he scuttled around on my hand dragging his ugly little bum. Blech.

I redid the shell shop real quick tonight. Instead of using a shower caddy, I switched to a wider, shallower container that will hold more shells and it's easier for them to rummage through. Now I need to buy more shells to fill it with!

Oh! That reminds me...does anyone want magpie shells? I have sooo many and my crabs are all snobby and won't touch them. I also have a few babylonias, and...whale eye? Shark eye? Something like that. And murexes. They're taking up valuable space I can fill with shells my crabs won't ignore! :lol:
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

parker_roo

Post by parker_roo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:16 am

megmaholm wrote:I've seen quite a few of my guys change shells, either because I'm lucky or they like to show off their naked bodies. :lol: I won't lie, their squishy butts freak me out. I had to handle/re-shell a naked, soft, freshly molted crab I saved from a petstore, and he scuttled around on my hand dragging his ugly little bum. Blech.

I redid the shell shop real quick tonight. Instead of using a shower caddy, I switched to a wider, shallower container that will hold more shells and it's easier for them to rummage through. Now I need to buy more shells to fill it with!

Oh! That reminds me...does anyone want magpie shells? I have sooo many and my crabs are all snobby and won't touch them. I also have a few babylonias, and...whale eye? Shark eye? Something like that. And murexes. They're taking up valuable space I can fill with shells my crabs won't ignore! :lol:
Wow, that is kind of freaky. I didn't get a chance to see very clearly the entire end of my crab, but I saw most of her. For these shells you have, I am quite interested. My crab that isn't molting has been trying on different shells, but still goes back to her old one. I want to get a better variety of shells. What size are they? I have two small crabs, and am planning on getting some more. If you have any small or medium shells, I would love to check them out! But how would this work with sharing these shells? Would you send them to me, if I wanted them? I could pay you back for shipping through PayPal?
***Let the crabby adventures begin!***

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:37 am

parker_roo wrote:So something interesting just happened, and I thought I would share with you guys. I walked in on my crab changing shells! I came into my room, turned on the light, and went to go check out the tank. My hermit crab, Ollie, was out of her shell, in the process of choosing a new one. I saw her entire body, including her abdomen! It was so interesting to see in person, the naked hermit crab. I do feel bad, because Ollie jumped right back into her old shell, because she was scared. I hope she is able to change shells to the one she wants, and I am hoping that I didn't ruin this process. But I think hermit crabs are so fascinating! I love how they protect themselves by carrying a shell on their backs. I thought you guys would be interested as well, so I decided to share. I just wish I could have gotten a picture of it to show you guys, but she was too fast getting back into her old shell for protection.
that's awesome you got to see her almost change! Don't worry if she really wants that shell she'll change! I've only seen one crab switch shells but I was thrilled. I even woke my husband up just to tell him all about it. He was less than thrilled haha.
Ryry wrote:Lol yup I'll have to explain to my man why suddenly I have even MORE crabs... Lol
i told the hubs about the plan. He looked at me, smiled and said "you're so cute" Image sarcasm is our second language haha. But he did say if you can't find a home for those two pps that we can scheme for a crabby rescue when we go up to mass for Christmas!

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:20 pm

parker_roo wrote:Wow, that is kind of freaky. I didn't get a chance to see very clearly the entire end of my crab, but I saw most of her. For these shells you have, I am quite interested. My crab that isn't molting has been trying on different shells, but still goes back to her old one. I want to get a better variety of shells. What size are they? I have two small crabs, and am planning on getting some more. If you have any small or medium shells, I would love to check them out! But how would this work with sharing these shells? Would you send them to me, if I wanted them? I could pay you back for shipping through PayPal?
I'll PM you in just a minute :)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:18 pm

I'm interested in the shells, you think I maybe could get some too?