What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

shanedaman112

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by shanedaman112 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:31 am

Ah we have a 9 year old cat, crabs, and a newly adopted bunny (yay!)
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:36 am

In a few years I plan to have lots of animals. LOTS. Dogs, cats, crabs, geckos, chickens, horses, and anything else I take an interest in along the way. But for now while I'm sticking with my crabs and they make me plenty happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:55 am

haha, just remember dogs, chickens and horses are a handful ;)
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

moonshermies

Post by moonshermies » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:00 pm

okay so I cant post pictures because of a tapatalk update issue?.:evil: anywho,I had a picture of my violet on top of the tank, chilling..(since I saw her escape through the airflow hole, I put my kritter keeper top over hole so she can hangout there & not get injured) One of my spider plant babies has disappeared in the hidey hole:-? (idky,& not asking ?'s) & sunset is just hanging in hidey acting innocent as usual!! lol

Sent from my HTC EVO, using tapatalk 2
Mom to 3 children,&2 adorable medium PPS..Not a new member..My old sn was deleted after a hiatus from the death of my pp 2 yrs ago..

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:01 pm

You got some adventurous ones lol

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:05 pm

shanedaman112 wrote:haha, just remember dogs, chickens and horses are a handful ;)
haha you're not lying! I grew up on a farm and loved it! It's not easy but its my kind of heavenImage

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:10 pm

moonshermies wrote:okay so I cant post pictures because of a tapatalk update issue?.:evil: anywho,I had a picture of my violet on top of the tank, chilling..(since I saw her escape through the airflow hole, I put my kritter keeper top over hole so she can hangout there & not get injured) One of my spider plant babies has disappeared in the hidey hole:-? (idky,& not asking ?'s) & sunset is just hanging in hidey acting innocent as usual!! lol

oh my gosh! I can't believe she got out thru the vent! Crafty little crab Image. Quite innovative to put a critter keeper over her instead of just putting her back in. Maybe put a book or something heavy on top of it? Maybe with your spider plant missing sunset isn't as innocent as she seems? Haha maybe she's just better at hiding her indiscretions!

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:13 pm

moonbeam wrote:haha you're not lying! I grew up on a farm and loved it! It's not easy but its my kind of heaven
Well its in your roots then and it makes sense that you want some more animals :D to be quite honest I only like very few dogs, including the last one we had. she was my favorite dog I've ever had or played with but when we moved they wouldn't let us keep her. She was only a few months old too :( I do like cats but really not more than one. and yet I would have a whole room of reptiles and arthropods if I could. I'm very selective on animals lol

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:14 pm

moonbeam wrote: oh my gosh! I can't believe she got out thru the vent! Crafty little crab Image. Quite innovative to put a critter keeper over her instead of just putting her back in. Maybe put a book or something heavy on top of it? Maybe with your spider plant missing sunset isn't as innocent as she seems? Haha maybe she's just better at hiding her indiscretions!
lol this

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:23 pm

Lol! I have a herd (what would be the correct flock term for crabs?) of crabs, 2 cats, a Shetland sheepdog, and one dirty mechanic boyfriend (he's the animal that requires the most work).
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:26 pm

I think colony is the correct term for crabs (?) and that's hilarious. Sometimes I tell people I have two kids because my husband acts like one sometimes. I think it's a guy thing haha

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:28 pm

I just went to look in on the hermies and Bob is sleeping with his shell propped against a coco hut. Does anyone else's crab lean up against things when sleeping? Image

moonshermies

Post by moonshermies » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:29 pm

moonbeam, idk she would be able to get through, after a few successful escapes, my husband & i watched her do it..I put the kritter keeper top overhole to keep the airflow & give her a hangout spot..if she gets out, she sure can get back in!!! over the kritter keeper top is a full baby wipe container so she cant moved it!!!! lol it wrks & I dnt mind..she s there everynight, so she must like her skyscrapper lookout!!!

Mom to 3 children,&2 adorable medium PPS..Not a new member..My old sn was deleted after a hiatus from the death of my pp 2 yrs ago..

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:37 pm

moonbeam wrote:I just went to look in on the hermies and Bob is sleeping with his shell propped against a coco hut. Does anyone else's crab lean up against things when sleeping? Image

My crab tweets does that! She sleeps on top of the castle propped up against the tower! Too cute. I try to think of it as a complement. That tweets is in a comfy shell snuggled up to sleep, and the temp/humidity is perfect and she wants the airflow. Not tucked away scared. Image I could be wrong but I like to think they are comfy and happy!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:18 pm

moonshermies wrote:moonbeam, idk she would be able to get through, after a few successful escapes, my husband & i watched her do it..I put the kritter keeper top overhole to keep the airflow & give her a hangout spot..if she gets out, she sure can get back in!!! over the kritter keeper top is a full baby wipe container so she cant moved it!!!! lol it wrks & I dnt mind..she s there everynight, so she must like her skyscrapper lookout!!!

that's too awesome! Not that she's an escape artist but that she now has her own personal sky scraper! I'd love to get a Eco terra to go over half my tank next time a $1/gallon sale comes along (assuming Eco Terra's are included in the sale.., something I need to research or ask I guess). I've seen a few tanks with this unique set up, I think CallaLily has a tank like this. My 55 was huge till I added a false bottom and 10 inches of sand. I want them to have lots of climbing room! It's awesome you have your own version of this already in place Image