What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.
User avatar

Topic author
moonbeam
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:59 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by moonbeam » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:20 pm

Ryry wrote: My crab tweets does that! She sleeps on top of the castle propped up against the tower! Too cute. I try to think of it as a complement. That tweets is in a comfy shell snuggled up to sleep, and the temp/humidity is perfect and she wants the airflow. Not tucked away scared. Image I could be wrong but I like to think they are comfy and happy!
now that you put it that way I will take it as a compliment Image I can't wait till more of my crabs feel the same way. They just need some time and TLC lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

User avatar

KellyCrabbieLove
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 2635
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:41 pm

Don't Jump! This is a common occurrence in the tank. My E Jockey loves to sit on the rim and watch the bubbler. He is really a weird crab. LolImage
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

User avatar

shanedaman112
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:16 pm
Location: Near PCB, FL

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by shanedaman112 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:32 pm

wow that's really interesting lol
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

User avatar

megmaholm
Posts: 1247
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:15 pm
Location: Bloomington, IN

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by megmaholm » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:46 pm

I redid my tank today, so naturally everyone is hiding. :roll:
Image


And here is Tyrion, my littlest, staring at the rope with his antenna vibrating. Maybe he's working up the courage to go climbing? Haha. Excuse the cloudy pic, my humidifier makes it a little foggy.
Image
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

User avatar

KellyCrabbieLove
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 2635
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:03 pm

shanedaman112 wrote:wow that's really interesting lol
He's special. Lol
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

User avatar

Topic author
moonbeam
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:59 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by moonbeam » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:52 pm

megmaholm wrote:I redid my tank today, so naturally everyone is hiding. :roll:
Image


And here is Tyrion, my littlest, staring at the rope with his antenna vibrating. Maybe he's working up the courage to go climbing? Haha. Excuse the cloudy pic, my humidifier makes it a little foggy.
Image
I love that rope! Maybe little Tryion will try it some day! My crabs haven't really climbed anything in my tank yet but it's only been set up for about a week so I'm thinking they need some time. Here's to taking care of seemingly empty tanks while everyone gets over the shock of their new toys!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

User avatar

Topic author
moonbeam
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:59 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by moonbeam » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:53 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:Don't Jump! This is a common occurrence in the tank. My E Jockey loves to sit on the rim and watch the bubbler. He is really a weird crab. LolImage
he does look like he's about to jump right in lol. Maybe someday he'll surprise you and go for it. Love the greenery in your tank.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

User avatar

KellyCrabbieLove
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 2635
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:00 pm

Thanks. When I opened up the tank for food and water changes tonight my husband immediately picked him up and started playing with him. After the look I gave him he gave him back to me to put back in. I tried to put him back where he was and ended up knocking him in. When he landed he ran back up the ramp and looked at my husband. I think he was cursing at him in hermit.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

User avatar

Ryry
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:12 pm

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by Ryry » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:01 pm

It's funny I did a tank update and my crabs were not impressed- but then I got new crabs and they climbed everywhere- and now my originals are like "I didn't know you could climb that vine!? Or that log!? Or that container?! OMG MOSS! I love moss! "
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

User avatar

Topic author
moonbeam
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:59 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by moonbeam » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:17 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:Thanks. When I opened up the tank for food and water changes tonight my husband immediately picked him up and started playing with him. After the look I gave him he gave him back to me to put back in. I tried to put him back where he was and ended up knocking him in. When he landed he ran back up the ramp and looked at my husband. I think he was cursing at him in hermit.
lol my husband made a lasting impression on one of my crabs too. His curiosity finally kicked in and he just wanted to see what her legs felt like (he's eaten crab leg his whole life. I tried to tell him think that but on a way smaller scale. It didn't work). She was NOT having that! She's acted like I'm a monster ever since and runs when she sees me. She used to be so curious when I was near Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

User avatar

Topic author
moonbeam
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:59 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by moonbeam » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:19 pm

Ryry wrote:It's funny I did a tank update and my crabs were not impressed- but then I got new crabs and they climbed everywhere- and now my originals are like "I didn't know you could climb that vine!? Or that log!? Or that container?! OMG MOSS! I love moss! "
Your impressions of your crabs are hilarious! Now your exotics can get in there and show those PPs how it's done!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

User avatar

Ryry
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:12 pm

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by Ryry » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:29 pm

moonbeam wrote:Your impressions of your crabs are hilarious! Now your exotics can get in there and show those PPs how it's done!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True! I've already had one viola almost make an escape! He spider maned from a plant to the fogger tube and climbed up to the lid and was trying with all its might to lift that lid! Sorry buddy, not going to happen!
Then The big indo is so excited by the new tat he just doesn't stop moving! He scales everything from one side of the tank to the other- then stuffs his face with loads of food and then runs some more. Every once and a while he stops moving and kinda sinks in on himself like he's trying to catch his breath- and then he jumps up and starts off again!
All my crabs are out and about- it's an exciting night!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

User avatar

shanedaman112
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:16 pm
Location: Near PCB, FL

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by shanedaman112 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:47 pm

Ryry wrote: True! I've already had one viola almost make an escape! He spider maned from a plant to the fogger tube and climbed up to the lid and was trying with all its might to lift that lid! Sorry buddy, not going to happen!
Then The big indo is so excited by the new tat he just doesn't stop moving! He scales everything from one side of the tank to the other- then stuffs his face with loads of food and then runs some more. Every once and a while he stops moving and kinda sinks in on himself like he's trying to catch his breath- and then he jumps up and starts off again!
All my crabs are out and about- it's an exciting night!
LOL he's so energetic!
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

User avatar

Topic author
moonbeam
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:59 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by moonbeam » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:07 am

I just walked over to the tank and was doing my usual scan of favorite spots. Something caught my eye and when I looked down I saw squirt! She's been down for two weeks and there she was right at the front of the glass looking at me. When she realized I saw her she did the "oh crap... So I'm gonna go hide now" awkward slow walk away! It was too cute.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

User avatar

shanedaman112
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:16 pm
Location: Near PCB, FL

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by shanedaman112 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:12 am

You think that's just a short molt or she's just been down every day, coming up at night?
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

Post Reply