What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

megmaholm

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by megmaholm » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:39 pm

Well, now that I'm thinking about it, I could have made a ramp out of plexiglass and just siliconed rocks to that instead of using needlepoint canvas..but I'll look into acrylic rods and maybe try doubling up on the canvas. My largest crab is a fatty so he'll need something to support his weight. :lol:
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:03 pm

She watched me do tank maintenance for the rolly pollies and the new guys ISO. Creeper crab! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:18 pm

moonbeam wrote:She watched me do tank maintenance for the rolly pollies and the new guys ISO. Creeper crab! Image

Hahaha! I can't count how many times I've felt something watching me, and there's a crab staring in my general direction, frantically wiggling his antenna. Creeper crabs indeed!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:37 pm

singlemomwithcrab wrote:So I just got back from 4 nights away from home. I think my crabs threw a party while I was away. I now have 8 crabs up and only one of the 8 seems the slightest bit shy.

They are all like...
"dang, she back"
"ignore her, she'll go away again"
"please, I had the run of the tank, I am not going to start hiding now"

Can someone please tell me who came in an messed with my crabs while I was away? :roll:
LOL! I lurve crab dialogue!!

Crabbers unite!!!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:39 pm

MuseCrazy wrote:I've been in Barbados for the past 2 weeks, I leave tomorrow can't wait to see what my tank looks like. I hope I don't have any losses :/
I had the lamp and humidifier on a timer and filled their leaf and flower pits up and planted some beans and chia seeds. Also filled their food dish to the brim with dry foods... I'm hoping that I'll only come home to moldy food lol. Fingers crossed!
Yikes!! Good luck!

Crabbers unite!!!

Drakezilla

What are your crabs up to?

Post by Drakezilla » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:43 am

I'm normally charged with the crabs nutrition/feeding them but last night I had a migraine, so I asked my sister to just put out some dry food for them.

I went downstairs tonight to check on my jumbo, Draco, who's been with me the longest ( the others haven't been with me a month yet, so they won't notice a difference ) and was definitely put out that she only gave him a few krill. She'd moved the food dish to the other side of the tank, but he was waiting in the spot I usually feed him tapping his antennae and staring like; "HELLO!?! Starving crab here!! She didn't DOO it right, mom!!"

I laughed and gave him a huge portion / mix of his favorites and he all but dove on it with my hand still in the tank!! You'd think he hadn't been fed in weeks!!
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:50 am

singlemomwithcrab wrote:So I just got back from 4 nights away from home. I think my crabs threw a party while I was away. I now have 8 crabs up and only one of the 8 seems the slightest bit shy.

They are all like...
"dang, she back"
"ignore her, she'll go away again"
"please, I had the run of the tank, I am not going to start hiding now"

Can someone please tell me who came in an messed with my crabs while I was away? :roll:

So this morning, Blue, my E and the one who was always oblivious to my presence, is ducking and running for cover.
Can someone confess that they came in and talked my crabs into a conspiracy of personality changes??? :shock:
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:46 am

Caught him again! Image
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:09 am

Omg! Before Image 5 hours laterImage

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:23 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:Omg! Before Image 5 hours laterImage
Kelly too funny! Is that a mineral tub they destroyed?
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:36 pm

Also I have been waiting to see if my crabs will use the magnatural stuff I just put in the tank. This morning I finally got to see my biggest crab Poseidon sleeping up on the shelf all snuggled into the leaves. So sweet! I'm so happy she likes it! ImageImage
Sorry if those pictures are have a lot of glare. It was the morning light that made it so bad. I'll try to catch some better photos of my set up later. But I was just so excited to see that stuff being used! It makes it all worth it Image
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:46 pm

Kelly too funny! Is that a mineral tub they destroyed?
Actually the white is crushed coral calcium and the black was a mile high pile if worm castings.

Who knew worm poop could be so irresistible? Lol

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:53 am

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:Caught him again! Image

Ok I've been out of the game lately, are your pools cycled and all fixed up the way you wanted them? They look awesome and obviously your crabs are happy :)
Ryry wrote:Also I have been waiting to see if my crabs will use the magnatural stuff I just put in the tank. This morning I finally got to see my biggest crab Poseidon sleeping up on the shelf all snuggled into the leaves. So sweet! I'm so happy she likes it! ImageImage
Sorry if those pictures are have a lot of glare. It was the morning light that made it so bad. I'll try to catch some better photos of my set up later. But I was just so excited to see that stuff being used! It makes it all worth it Image
I really thought it'd be one of your violas to use the magnaturals first but way to go Poseidon! She's such a beauty. I'm sure those two won't be far behind and then the pps will be all over it too lol.

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:18 am

moonbeam wrote:
Ok I've been out of the game lately, are your pools cycled and all fixed up the way you wanted them? They look awesome and obviously your crabs are happy :) I really thought it'd be one of your violas to use the magnaturals first but way to go Poseidon! She's such a beauty. I'm sure those two won't be far behind and then the pps will be all over it too lol.

Your crabbie Poseidon looks like my crabbie Sid (Poseidon) lol

Hermie mommy of 10 PP babies: Octavius Flemming, Poseidon, Bruiser, Junior, Matty Pumpkin, Turbo, Kaylee Frye, Pepper, Flower and Adrian Shephard.
-

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:21 pm

I think I'm going to splurge on plexiglas to put over my screen lid instead of foil. Every time a crab gets up there and I hear their little feet hitting the foil, it makes me cringe like nails on a chalkboard. :lol:

I did some major rearranging last night. I decided as a route in/out of the SW pool I'll use part of a plastic vine, so it's siliconed and waiting to finish curing. I'm also working on a small plastic hide covered in river rock, so once it's done and cured it'll go in as well. That will, of course, mean more rearranging to make room. I have half a flower pot as their main hide, but I'll replace it with the plastic one. I have so much random stuff and I wish I could fit it all in the tank! I would sell/give it away but then I would probably want it. Yes, I'm a hoarder. ;)

And since I rarely post pics, here's my biggest crab Gregor after his molt:

And here he was before:

Same shell, but it looks like he got a little darker and he grew. I hope my Deltona order ships soon.