What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
moonbeam

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by moonbeam » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:07 pm

Wow beautiful coloring! I love it! I hear you on the foil thing. Luckily that noise really doesn't bother me so for now the foil stays but I can definitely understand wanting to get rid of it! Sometimes I appreciate the foil, it always lets me know when a crab is scaling the lid! If only I could get a good picture of one of them doing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:27 pm

megmaholm wrote:I think I'm going to splurge on plexiglas to put over my screen lid instead of foil. Every time a crab gets up there and I hear their little feet hitting the foil, it makes me cringe like nails on a chalkboard. :lol:

I did some major rearranging last night. I decided as a route in/out of the SW pool I'll use part of a plastic vine, so it's siliconed and waiting to finish curing. I'm also working on a small plastic hide covered in river rock, so once it's done and cured it'll go in as well. That will, of course, mean more rearranging to make room. I have half a flower pot as their main hide, but I'll replace it with the plastic one. I have so much random stuff and I wish I could fit it all in the tank! I would sell/give it away but then I would probably want it. Yes, I'm a hoarder. ;)

And since I rarely post pics, here's my biggest crab Gregor after his molt:

And here he was before:

Same shell, but it looks like he got a little darker and he grew. I hope my Deltona order ships soon.
He is gorgeous! Wow!! Image
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:43 pm

Thanks guys! He was that beautiful rich red when I got him so I can't take credit for his pretty color, but it's one of the reasons I fell in love with him.

Moonbeam, that's a good point that it alerts you. One time I opened the lid, fed them and refilled the water, closed the lid, etc. then realized one of my crabs was on the part of the lid I'd been opening/closing. :lol: He was probably like "Oh crap!! If I hold still she won't see me."
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:37 pm

I caught a good pic of my beautiful pp Echo today. Such a nice dark color!ImageImageImage
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:14 pm

the middle pic looks like a crabby ballet move!

Crabbers unite!!!

aldebaron0626

Post by aldebaron0626 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:43 pm

Bullseye was up. He is so shy and I rarely see him. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby Mommy since 8/13/14
2Es Buzz and Bullseye and 3PPs Woody (adp 12/10/14), Jessie (adp 1/20/15) and Mick (1/26/15)
Coming in March: Rex (PP) and Bo Peep (E)

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:21 pm

One of my large smalls (if that makes sense) - a littler guy...is nomnomnoming out at the protein dish for the last two hours. No lie - he started before Goonies the movie started and Goonies is almost over....
I guess he likes the sardines in soy oil...

"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:28 pm

Last night I couldn't sleep so I was spying on the crabs at like...3am. 9 of my crabs were up, which is a miracle. :lol: I got to see a couple that I haven't been sure about for a while. I also saw this:

Yep...Gregor parked his fat butt on top of one of my littlest crabs, and proceeded to stuff his face without a care in the world. Phyl showed some interest in approaching but changed her mind after seeing her buddy get squished. Haha!

Alduin is just hanging out tonight. He's so handsome but I wish he would molt.

And finally, the horrendously gaudy hide I made. I wanted color dang it! The rocks are siliconed on, but the flowers are just hot glued.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

singlemomwithcrab

Post by singlemomwithcrab » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:41 pm

So after Goonies was over, I decided to clean up the moss pit. I have it in a corner caddy up high in the tat. No lie - 8 guys packed in there like it was a man cave on Superbowl Sunday. Guess I need to figure out how to move stuff around and find room for another moss pit.

:roll:
"Do or Do Not. There is no try"
50 PPs, 1 E

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:00 am

singlemomwithcrab wrote: No lie - 8 guys packed in there like it was a man cave on Superbowl Sunday. :roll:
What a great visual :hlol: !
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:09 am

Ok I've been out of the game lately, are your pools cycled and all fixed up the way you wanted them? They look awesome and obviously your crabs are happy :)
They are! I have caught many right after a dip but I have only caught Poseidon and Jockey (one of my Es) in the act.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:10 am

megmaholm wrote:Thanks guys! He was that beautiful rich red when I got him so I can't take credit for his pretty color, but it's one of the reasons I fell in love with him.

Moonbeam, that's a good point that it alerts you. One time I opened the lid, fed them and refilled the water, closed the lid, etc. then realized one of my crabs was on the part of the lid I'd been opening/closing. :lol: He was probably like "Oh crap!! If I hold still she won't see me."
Which one? Lol

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:11 am

Ryry wrote:I caught a good pic of my beautiful pp Echo today. Such a nice dark color!ImageImageImage
Such a beautiful color :)

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:11 am

Thanks Kelly! Btw I love that we both have a Poseidon! Mine is a jumbo Indo, the biggest in my tank. Image
I also found my little crab needle has changed into one of the green banded turbos I put in there. Image I love it when I feel like I did something right for them!
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:25 am

I just love me some hermits. Lol