What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
moonbeam

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by moonbeam » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:18 am

Well I'm up till 2-3 sometimes... Or a lot of times but I haven't seen her up. Doesn't mean she hasn't resurfaced though. Don't think she molted. I think she was destressing, but she is a small and she molted over a month or two ago so maybe she's getting ready to go down again. Who knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:19 am

moonbeam wrote:When she realized I saw her she did the "oh crap... So I'm gonna go hide now" awkward slow walk away! It was too cute.
I love how crabs basically always have the "oh crap!" look on their face because of how their eyes come naturally. No matter what they're doing, it's like-
Oh crap! It's new food!
Oh crap! I can climb up this thing!
Oh crap! This is water!
Oh crap! I can climb down this thing!
Oh crap! The sun got real small and close today!
Oh crap! The giant creature just caught me trying to escape!
Oh crap! There's an invisible wall here!

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:28 am

The guys haven't had a grape for quite a while as I usually just wash them, bag them and freeze them as soon as they're in the house (the grapes, not the crabs :lol: ). So, tonight I kept out one black grape, cut it in half and put it in their food dish with some cooked Yukon potato bits. Harry came right over and started eating the grape. I was passing the tank, saw him and leaned in for a closer look. As soon as Harry realized I was there, he speared the grape half with his feeder claw, turned around and started to climb the wood branch to get away. He got about two inches up the branch, realized it was too much effort while carrying the grape and that I'd probably still be able to see him so he hung there, transferred the grape half to his pincher and happily resumed eating! What a guy :laughing3:
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Kirrie

Post by Kirrie » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:21 am

I have all of my fish tanks and my hermit crab tank in my room, and my hermit crabs are by far the noisiest. They wake me up all the time when they hit the side of the tank or knock something over.

This is Carol. She was my first hermit crab and is my largest. She's also my favorite because she doesn't let her big size deter her from climbing up plants and hanging upside down like a bat. It used to scare me when she would crawl upside down, but now she does it so often that I'm sure she must have the hang of it :lol: I kind of miss her right now because she disappeared near the beginning of October, so I probably won't see her until the end of November or beginning of December, based on her molts in the past. She is the only crab that doesn't run away from me. I think Glenn is starting to come around though. :P

This is Glenn and Maggie. They switch shells so often I'm not sure who is who anymore. They also share the same favorite spot on top of the coconut hut.

I'm pretty sure this little guy is either Daryl or Karl, either way, he's a little chicken. All of the little ones are and I can't really tell any of them apart.

Sorry I don't have any pictures of the rest. I only counted 5 when I fed them tonight, but I didn't check in the coconut huts, and I know Carol, Michonne, and Glenn are molting. I feel bad because I know who Carol and Michonne are, I can pick out which two are Maggie and Glenn, but I can't even start to identify the other 6 :lol:
40 gallon-11 PP's
29 gallon- Freshwater community
10 gallon- Halfmoon Double Tail Plakat Betta (Reagan)
10 gallon (divided)- Speckled Elephant Ear Betta (Calvin), Crowntail Betta (Quincy)
20 gallon- Freshwater community
5 gallon- Rose Tail Betta (Vincent)

moonshermies

Post by moonshermies » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:33 am

YYWW wrote: I love how crabs basically always have the "oh crap!" look on their face because of how their eyes come naturally. No matter what they're doing, it's like-
Oh crap! It's new food!
Oh crap! This is water!

Lmao!!!! I spit my coffee across the room reading this!!!! way 2 funny!! Yet, seems so true, thanx 4 alaugh YYWW!!! Kirrie your crabs are so adorable, love the shells!!!
Im still trying to upload Violet in her skyscraper just chilling..she is there again this morning..Im brainstorming on how to make the view better for her, since thats her chill spot now..:idea: I have a small plexiglas tank, hmmmmm yea off to do this!!! lol
Sent from my HTC EVO, using tapatalk 2
Mom to 3 children,&2 adorable medium PPS..Not a new member..My old sn was deleted after a hiatus from the death of my pp 2 yrs ago..

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:48 am

moonbeam wrote:I just walked over to the tank and was doing my usual scan of favorite spots. Something caught my eye and when I looked down I saw squirt! She's been down for two weeks and there she was right at the front of the glass looking at me. When she realized I saw her she did the "oh crap... So I'm gonna go hide now" awkward slow walk away! It was too cute.

That walk always makes me think of Jurassic park. Like we are the T-Rex and if they move very... Very... Slowly, then we won't see them...
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:15 pm

YYWW wrote: I love how crabs basically always have the "oh crap!" look on their face because of how their eyes come naturally. No matter what they're doing, it's like-
Oh crap! It's new food!
Oh crap! This is water!

This was so funny I had to share with my husband! He laughed so hard Image and it's hard for him to get into crabby humor! This should be a hermit poster or something! I'd hang it in my house Image

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:19 pm

Crabinski wrote:The guys haven't had a grape for quite a while as I usually just wash them, bag them and freeze them as soon as they're in the house (the grapes, not the crabs :lol: ). So, tonight I kept out one black grape, cut it in half and put it in their food dish with some cooked Yukon potato bits. Harry came right over and started eating the grape. I was passing the tank, saw him and leaned in for a closer look. As soon as Harry realized I was there, he speared the grape half with his feeder claw, turned around and started to climb the wood branch to get away. He got about two inches up the branch, realized it was too much effort while carrying the grape and that I'd probably still be able to see him so he hung there, transferred the grape half to his pincher and happily resumed eating! What a guy :laughing3:
oh how hilarious! I have yet to catch a crab stealing food but I have a few chicken bones missing so I know one of them is a food thief in there lol. I love that duck and hide walk they all do, it's so comical! At least he didn't abandon his meal and run for the hills as mine would probably do. (They've been in a tote up until a few weeks ago and they're still getting used to seeing my face on the regular lol)

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:22 pm

I had no idea how's your people would join in on this thread and I've thoroughly enjoyed all the stories and pictures! I can't wait for more to come

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:22 pm

LOL moonbeam! Glad you and your husband enjoyed that!

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:32 pm

I just checked on the crabs and one of my guys was in the food dish. As soon as he saw me, he froze for a second, then snagged a piece of food with his little claw and scuttled backwards as fast as he could to hide. That's not the first time it's happened, either. :roll: Last night I surprised 3 of them that were crammed into the food dish, and one snapped back in his shell so hard he flew backwards. Am I the only one with drama queen crabs?! Seriously..
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:47 pm

megmaholm wrote:I just checked on the crabs and one of my guys was in the food dish. As soon as he saw me, he froze for a second, then snagged a piece of food with his little claw and scuttled backwards as fast as he could to hide. That's not the first time it's happened, either. :roll: Last night I surprised 3 of them that were crammed into the food dish, and one snapped back in his shell so hard he flew backwards. Am I the only one with drama queen crabs?! Seriously..
The mental image of "one snapped back in his shell so hard he flew backwards" had me weeping with laughter :hlol: ! One of my former crabs, Gino, would pitch forward when he snapped back in, landing on the shell's opening and thereby ensuring that I wasn't going to see any part of him against his will! And some folks think hermies are boring :o .
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:47 pm

No. Lol
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:47 pm

megmaholm wrote: Last night I surprised 3 of them that were crammed into the food dish, and one snapped back in his shell so hard he flew backwards. Am I the only one with drama queen crabs?! Seriously..
Mine do that too :hlol:
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:53 pm

Ryry wrote: That walk always makes me think of Jurassic park. Like we are the T-Rex and if they move very... Very... Slowly, then we won't see them...
Yes! That's it exactly! And for them, "Objects are larger than seen in the mirror" holds true, too -- they catch a glimpse of a partial shadow or see a face or hand but have no idea how big we really are :lol: .