Viola behavior

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
dinky

Viola behavior

Post by dinky » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:07 pm

Just recently bought 2 Viola's. Have noticed there are a few on here that have Viola's, but haven't found a lot of good info to read on them. Would love to hear from some of you who have them. I hope to get 2 more soon as I want to see if their behavior is different in larger groups. Mine do usually come out at night, but I have seen them out during the day. They have really calmed down over the 2 wks I have had them as I talk calmly every time I get in the tank. I read a comment on here about them not digging much. With just 2 new ones who are just now settled in it is hard for me to comment on this, but I have noticed they made a bowl shaped nest back in the cave and that is where they spend most of the day.....the tank has remained neat and they haven't tore it up.
Happy owner of 10 pp's, 7 E's, 2 straws, 1 ruggie, 2 viola's, 2 dogs, to many kids to count and one awesome hubby

Teedeums

Re: Viola behavior

Post by Teedeums » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:13 am

I am getting violas when I finish getting my tank together. I will let you know when I get them what I observe. There is something about them in FAQS section, but it is pretty vague. So when I get them I will tell you what I notice.
5 PPs; Ghast, Eager, Boomer, Plato, and Indigo
2 Family Dogs; Lilly and Ginger

Have a very crabby day! =D

Topic author
dinky

Post by dinky » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:47 pm

Teedeums wrote:I am getting violas when I finish getting my tank together. I will let you know when I get them what I observe. There is something about them in FAQS section, but it is pretty vague. So when I get them I will tell you what I notice.
Thanks! So far mine are totally different from everything I have read. Mine are friendly, out day and night, dropped a small fishing worm in the other night that they enjoyed eating. They eat all kinds of foods I've offered. Really love them, I plan to get a couple more as I want to continue to watch their behavior and compare it to the behavior of my other crabs. Had both of mine climb to the top of a branch I have in the other night....I lifted glass and took a close up pic and they didn't even mind the camera....I talk to them a lot (people think I'm crazy lol) but a soothing voice really does help as they get use to it. Looking forward to hearing how yours are. I will say it took them 1 1/2 wks or 2 wks of me just talking for them to calm down and relax, but it worked on them just like it does my other crabs.
Happy owner of 10 pp's, 7 E's, 2 straws, 1 ruggie, 2 viola's, 2 dogs, to many kids to count and one awesome hubby

Teedeums

Viola behavior

Post by Teedeums » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:14 pm

Awww, they sound so sweet.

I am officially ordering mine tommorow, I don't know when I will get them though

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:07 am

Teedeums wrote: I am officially ordering mine tommorow, I don't know when I will get them though

I would be cautious ordering now with colder weather here or approaching (depending not only on where you are but also where the crabs are coming from and traveling through). Just something to keep in mind.

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:39 pm

I definitely would put that off until it gets warmer. If you are ordering from LHC, they ship from New York. I ordered straws from my local pet shop last winter and they were dead on arrival from the cold. I felt terrible. It's too much of a risk this time of year, despite talks of heat pads, etc.
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

Teedeums

Post by Teedeums » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:33 pm

Yeah, I canceled this morning, there was a brief period here when it was unusually warm but it is scheduled to snow tomorrow here. Oh, well, I guess I have to wait till spring

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
dinky

Post by dinky » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:42 pm

Careyenz wrote:I definitely would put that off until it gets warmer. If you are ordering from LHC, they ship from New York. I ordered straws from my local pet shop last winter and they were dead on arrival from the cold. I felt terrible. It's too much of a risk this time of year, despite talks of heat pads, etc.
I order local here in Florida so haven't had problem yet, but yes if you live up north I would wait. My new ones have been out 24/7 don't know when they sleep (: