Sharkbait is worrying me.

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:15 pm

I'm trying to get sharkbait to change shells right now. But I have noticed that he is moving weird and is folded weird in his shell. And it looks like it's hard for him to walk. I don't know what's going on. Help?

Topic author
kadynadair16

Re: Sharkbait is worrying me.

Post by kadynadair16 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:17 pm

He also has very little antennae movement. He is in a shell that's Really big for him and he keeps tapping one of his legs when he sets it down? (The leg right next to the little pincher)

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:19 pm

He is pale. With a little bit of red on the tip of his legs. He wasn't like then when he came up from his last molt.( which was In August or October) his leg is bent a little over his LP.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:28 pm

Does he seem very weak? When was his last molt? As for changing shells, all you can do is provide him with a nice variety of appropriately sized shells. He'll change when he's ready.

Answering these questions might help us figure out what's going on.
1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

7. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

8. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

9. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

10. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

11. How often do you clean the tank and how?

12. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

13. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

14. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:41 pm

CallaLily wrote:Does he seem very weak? When was his last molt? He does seem weak and his last was in August (I think)
Answering these questions might help us figure out what's going on.

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:56 pm

Can someone help me out here? Maybe move this thread into emergency or something. I'm just really worried.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:07 pm

Can you post a pic of him rolled up so we can see how his legs fold?

Crabbers unite!!!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:23 pm

It really sounds more like a surface molt. Your conditions seem fine, except for you not knowing the humidity.
Low humidity can make it hard for the crab to breath. Kind of like if our air is too dry, like the desert, and we get a nose bleed and maybe damage to our lungs. The crabs need moist air to breath through their gills.
Are your pools deep enough for crabs to submerge? The crabs like to sit completely in the water for hours. They might not let you see it, but crabs need to soak sometimes.
If he is pulling a surface molt, then isolation and darkness is what he needs most. You can ISO him and keep him in a hide to simulate a cave, and he can move or dig out when he wants to.
Did you observe him being active before he slowed down? Did he eat and drink?

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:42 am

YYWW wrote:It really sounds more like a surface molt. Your conditions seem fine, except for you not knowing the humidity.
Low humidity can make it hard for the crab to breath. Kind of like if our air is too dry, like the desert, and we get a nose bleed and maybe damage to our lungs. The crabs need moist air to breath through their gills.
Are your pools deep enough for crabs to submerge? The crabs like to sit completely in the water for hours. They might not let you see it, but crabs need to soak sometimes.
If he is pulling a surface molt, then isolation and darkness is what he needs most. You can ISO him and keep him in a hide to simulate a cave, and he can move or dig out when he wants to.
Did you observe him being active before he slowed down? Did he eat and drink?

Crabbers unite!!!
I'm pretty sure my humidity is in the high 80s and 90s, because when I wake up in the morning there is always foggy stuff on the windows and I spray the sides of the tank and the moss frequently. The water dishes are deep enough for them to submerge. I did give his a carrot and green bean and he did eat that and some moss. He has been very lethargic for a VERY long time. I can't remember the last time I saw him climbing etc. when I first got him at petsmart he was the healthiest crab in the tank and when I went to hold him he constantly moved. But now... He doesn't move at all. Image. I will try to get a pic when I have a chance. (Remember his shell is very large for him so he will be buried deep in the shell)

I have a crab in my ISO right now who was attacked and he is molting right now. How should I separate him. I don't have any two liters right now either.

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:51 am

Here is him in and out of shell.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:05 am

He looks normal to me and he has nice sharp nails like he's recently molted. Can you get a closer pic of that spot on his BP? If he's super weak where you're worried about his safety with the other crab, I would ISO. Provide high energy foods like sweet fruit, honey, peanut butter, bee pollen and also calcium and protein sources like cuttlebone or egg shells and shrimp, crickets, eggs, or unseasoned meat (PB is also a source of protein). Definitely get a new hygrometer soon so you can be sure of the humidity level.

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:17 am

He has had that spot for a while I figured it would go away after he molts

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:22 am

Ok. If he's had it for a while it's probably nothing to worry about. I wondered if it was an injury or something.

Topic author
kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:24 am

He wouldn't come out of his shell so I couldn't get a picture I will try again later

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:49 am

No biggie. If he's stressed I would just leave him be.