ConCRABulations!!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Not2crabby

ConCRABulations!!

Post by Not2crabby » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi crabbies!
This is our First post, we wanted to share our story and get some feed back or just entertain our journey so far. I bought two Hermies (pp's) medium size about a week a half ago, I didn't decide the name until I saw what their personalities were like. Tarzan was all to fitting and Gus Gus ( the scared little chubby mouse from Cinderella ) came to me after Tarzan was climbing and staying in the vines and leaves, and Gus gus is very shy, and most likely stressed. Both are very sweet and entertaining to say the least. I bought the works, a 10 gal tank, 6 inch of substrate Eco friendly, vines ,leaves, (fake) rope with about 6 different shells ( mostly turbo and mother of pearl lining ) * some from pet smart but mostly michaels craft store! I considered boiling the shells before, but I didnt, just cleaned the shells I bought with clolorine free safe water and let them dry. Anyways, they have tons of hiding places, a under tank heater and a bulb that heats up the tank once a day, they are spoiled! Talk about $300 into this! So that's all the good news, here's where some input would be nice, Gus Gus could be stressed or he could be molting, or he could just be shy and doing his thing when I'm not looking, but he's been in the same spot for days now, in case he's molting I put a cut open water bottle surrounding him, it's a great techinque and orderly safe, he has basically a bubble around him that he can breath out of but he won't be disturbed by others. He's not completely burried tho! He's only about half an inch down! Maybe he's stressed? I take the bottle off in case he isn't molting, the most I
Bother him is a few sprays above his shell for humidity. The meters are both about 75-80. They both huddle in the same spot where the heater is all day and all night. So now Tarzan is being almost simpliar to Gus gus, except.. Around 730 he's in his food dish eating, it's like clock work. I went to pet co yesterday and purchased a small hermie, I forgot what type he is but he's awesome! Very active, very sweet; made sure he didn't smell delicious by bathing him, I watch yakodoranations videos on YouTube, she's awesome and full of info! Well now the little guy is following what Gus Gus and Tarzan are doing! Hiding sleeping de stressing. Not sure! Is this normal? Can I do anything to make they more comfortable or active? And are they nocturnal? Or just more active at night? Do they not like light? New to this so any info will help. I also saw Tarzan and the new little one eating the substrate! Not sure if they burried their shrimp and we're eating that or actually eating the ground, but what the heck! They have plenty of variety! Bannas shrimp hermit crab pelots even honey! They don't seem to like it much or maybe they are just tiny eaters! So what should I do about Gus gus? Leave him be with his bubble in peace? And what should I name my new little one? I'll detach pictures under tarzans story which I'll be writing next. Thanks guys ,
-not 2 crabby

Lburns

Re: ConCRABulations!!

Post by Lburns » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:13 pm

Their behavior sounds pretty normal for new crabs. They've been thru a lot getting to the pet store. And, usually, the conditions at the pet store are not ideal so they need time to destress. They do that by burying either partially (like it sounds like Gus Gus is doing) or totally. Depending on the crab, they may chill out for just a few days or a couple of weeks.

They are nocturnal. You won't see much activity, if any, during the day.

What kind of substrate do you have? It's not the "hermit crab sand" they sell at the pet stores is it?

Mine has oyster shells in it. I've seen my crabs eating the substrate too. I think they are eating the bits of shell in the substrate. Crabs will also eat leaves and wood too so it's not that unusual to see them eating different things than you'd expect. They are scavengers by nature.

Check out the safe foods list on this forum. Most of the pellets sold as "hermit crab" food are actually bad for them.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92557

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92556

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92555

They eat very little. I always give my 4 way too much food so sometimes it looks like they haven't eaten at all. But, I do catch them in the food bowl so know they are eating.

Regarding Gus Gus, it doesn't sound to me like he is molting. Sounds like he's just destressing. I don't think you really need the bottle over him unless you notice your other two crabs trying to mess with him. I would just keep checking on him by putting your nose as close to him as possible without picking him up. As long as you don't smell anything bad (a fishy odor) that might indicate he has passed then he is probably just chilling.

Good luck and conCRABulations!!!
4 PPs. Crabbing since Sept. 2014. Batman - Found as a stray (holy crab!) (2 molts). Killer Croc (1 molt). Man-Bat (1 molt). Lex Luthor (1 molt).
RIP Robin (did not survive 1st molt).

Lburns

Re: ConCRABulations!!

Post by Lburns » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:25 pm

Oh, and it's recommended that the under tank heater actually goes on the back of the tank. Outside of the tank. Is that where yours is, or, is it under the substrate? If under the substrate, you'll want to move it outside of the tank - on the back above the substrate.

Sounds like you did your research and set everything up really well. But, you can check out the great care guides on this forum to double check everything.

viewforum.php?f=51

The $$ adds up quickly for these little guys!! :lol:

They like a natural day/night light cycle so don't like a light on at night. I use a moon glow light that doesn't disturb them at night but gives 24 hour heat. There are a lot of different ways people do it. As long as your heat and humidity levels are consistent you're good.

I hope that answered your questions. Enjoy your crabs!!
4 PPs. Crabbing since Sept. 2014. Batman - Found as a stray (holy crab!) (2 molts). Killer Croc (1 molt). Man-Bat (1 molt). Lex Luthor (1 molt).
RIP Robin (did not survive 1st molt).