Tarzan

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Not2crabby

Tarzan

Post by Not2crabby » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:22 pm

tarzans story,
Hi guys this is my second post, check out conCRABulations for more info about Tarzan the PP,
So clearly he lives up to his name, I'm assuming he's a he, not sure he could be a she ( how can you tell) in that case her name would be Jane ;). Anyways, so I went to work, came home and usually around 730 I can count on Tarzan to be active, but I couldn't find him, I looked in my tank and he was yet to be found! So I lift open my towel I keep on top of their tank for extra heat and there he is! Hanging on death grip for dear life upside down, claws deep inside the holes of the top lid! I kept thinking, how long was he up there for? Thank god I found him bescause right under neath him was a water dish! I couldn't imagine what would of happened if he fell!! He's amazing little climber! He must of climbed up the back wall ( made of fiber) onto a vine, then onto the hydrometer and somehow went into the holes of the lid and climbed all the way to the edge! They are little houdinie's I tell you! The lady at pet smart warned me how they can escape, one time one of hers from the store was found on the opposite side of the store the next day by the dog kennels! Anyways, Tarzan hasn't done this again and I made sure to make it impossible to climb so high and mighty! Getting him to let go of the lid was hilarious tho, he held on for dear life! Anyways, maybe in a past life he was a magician, maybe an alacatraz inmate, or maybe just plain ole Tarzan! :)
Maybe your hermie has done this too!
Thanks guys,
Not2crabby

Lburns

Re: Tarzan

Post by Lburns » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:45 pm

Here is a link on how to tell the difference in boys and girls:

http://www.hermit-crabs.com/sexing.html

I just recently learned myself and discovered that both "Killer Croc" and "Batman" are girls. We are too used to the names to change them though. So, they are stuck with boy names. :lol:

My crabs crawl upside down on the tank lid all the time. It scares me too. Batman has fallen a couple times but hasn't gotten hurt. And, still does it so I guess falling doesn't bother her. :shock:
4 PPs. Crabbing since Sept. 2014. Batman - Found as a stray (holy crab!) (2 molts). Killer Croc (1 molt). Man-Bat (1 molt). Lex Luthor (1 molt).
RIP Robin (did not survive 1st molt).

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:41 pm

Yep, they are awesome climbers! Moving stuff lower will not stop them, they've been known to climb up the silicone in the corners of tanks. But no worries. Mine climb upside down on the lid all the time and yes, they do fall on occasion. It would take a much higher fall to be cause for concern though. ;)
Good luck with your new crabbies and welcome to the HCA!

hthecvt

Post by hthecvt » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:02 am

When Gladys was in her 10 gallon, she would climb to the screen lid constantly. She loved it.

<3 Gladys, Zeus, Maude and Paul! <3

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:19 pm

Don't worry about Tarzan possibly falling -- they fall out of trees and from considerable heights in the wild so a tumble from the top of a tank to the substrate is no big deal for a crab. My largest crab, Big Enzo, falls into the pools from the overhanging vines fairly frequently; I don't know if he's just klutzy or if it's some kind of hermit crab sporting event :lol: .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

crabbycassie

Post by crabbycassie » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:20 pm

Mine do this all the time :) they're small so I'm not worried about them falling, their tiny legs fit up there. I think it's really cute. Maybe one has fallen that I know of but they're up there every night exploring.

If things look weird, it's because this was... Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk