Popcorn!!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Not2crabby

Popcorn!!

Post by Not2crabby » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:28 pm

All 3 were loving last nights snack! And I set up my phone charged and video taped what goes on while I'm sleeping, it's pretty entertaining if you want to try, then I mushed it into a 30 second clip with time laps on my iPhone. Needless to say, they were crazy for popcorn! I've heard this before unflavored unseasoned popcorn and I didn't believe it at first, so I popped some last night and put about 10 pieces in a shell dish, even my shy one came up his hole underneath which I've never seen her eat before! Ever! It's 10:30 in the mornin and she's sitting in the food bowl lol! Thank god I found one treat they like, appearantly my crabbies are picky eaters! They even hid some pieces in the substrate! Maybe this whole popcorn thing will let them warm up to me. My small one is adjusting just fine; he's a bit hyper, since he's an equidoeian. I'll buy one more friend for him once I upgrade my tank size, they have this awesome tank at pets mart it's HUGE for $179, I may buy that in a few months. They would have so much room to roam in there and then I could have 4 or 5 of them perfectly fine. Is it better to get even numbers or does it not matter? Just curious.. Happy crabbies over here! Who would of thought popcorn would of started the bonding process

. Oh and ps. Tarzan switched his shell! I have that on video too, although it does seem a tAd bit big on him he likes it.. He's a nice green color now, it's tard to find him when he's in the leaves!

Topic author
Not2crabby

Re: Popcorn!!

Post by Not2crabby » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:38 pm

And pps.. I just caught Tarzan eating some popcorn, it's 1040 am! lol I'm dying of laughter right now, i put the light on him and it was like he got caught red handed just staring at me like " I'm not doing anything mom" with that blank stare look, while a giant piece lays underneath him! Haha, he is so cute! if only he felt the same way about me! Lol!

Arosewithashell3

Post by Arosewithashell3 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:01 pm

That's too cute! have fun with your hermies! :crabbigsmile:
Have fun with your hermies!

Lburns

Post by Lburns » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:29 pm

That's awesome!! Mine love popcorn too. I've read that you need to have friends of the same species together but have never read anything about needing even numbers. So, if you only have 1 E then you need another E so that one has a species mate. Glad you are bonding with your crabs! :P
4 PPs. Crabbing since Sept. 2014. Batman - Found as a stray (holy crab!) (2 molts). Killer Croc (1 molt). Man-Bat (1 molt). Lex Luthor (1 molt).
RIP Robin (did not survive 1st molt).

crabbycassie

Post by crabbycassie » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:46 pm

I would LOVE to record mine at night! Doing a time lapse sounds like a good idea... Hmmm. I am always taking videos of them, I just took one of mine eating popcorn last night it's just so cute and entertaining I gotta know what else goes on though when I'm asleep! Lol

If things look weird, it's because this was... Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Beebalm

Post by Beebalm » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:02 pm

That settles it...I am busting out the popcorn popper for sure this weekend! :)
Mom to 19 PP in 3 tats: Crabzilla, Big Red, Moby, Red Legs, Bluey, Trooper, Scrabbles, Shelly,The Crusher, Snoofus, Finster, Sheep Guy, Cannoli and 6 more smalls...lets get rid of those painted shells and get a name, guys!

Lburns

Post by Lburns » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:05 pm

Do you guys know the brown paper bag trick?

Super cheap and no harmful chemicals or ingredients for the crabs.

Buy plain, raw popcorn kernels in a jar plus the old school brown paper lunch bags.

Paper Bag Popcorn Method:
Step One: Measure 1/4 cup popcorn kernels into a lunchbox-sized paper bag.
Step Two: Loosely fold just the very top of the bag over so the kernels don't spill out.
Step Three: Microwave until there are more than 3 seconds between popping sounds. ...
Step Four: Carefully remove bag and enjoy!
4 PPs. Crabbing since Sept. 2014. Batman - Found as a stray (holy crab!) (2 molts). Killer Croc (1 molt). Man-Bat (1 molt). Lex Luthor (1 molt).
RIP Robin (did not survive 1st molt).

crabbycassie

Post by crabbycassie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:03 pm

My babies LOVE popcorn. I put all kinds of healthy crab veggies in there and top it off with popcorn, the popcorn is gone within hours. I wake up in the middle of the night to my biggest baby girl chomping on popcorn all the time. It's adorable.

If things look weird, it's because this was... Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk