OMG! Crab found in far part of house!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
hermieluv1

OMG! Crab found in far part of house!

Post by hermieluv1 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:28 am

What a shock I got this morning!

I fix breakfast for my elderly mother before I leave for work. My rooms are at the far west end of the house, and her room is at the other end and at the back side.

I was taking her tray out of her room, saw something move out of the corner of my eye, and ahead of me on the floor, just coming out from under her bed, was one of my crabs!! After my brain finally kicked in and realized what I was seeing, I took him back to my room, and realized that there was a small area on the back of the lid of the 29 gallon where he obviously climbed through. I have 2 blankets covering the back and part of the top of this tank, so he had to climb down the inside of the blanket, across my bedroom, across my home gym (past 2 cats), under 2 doors, DOWN 2 STEPS, across the laundry room, around a corner and under another door, to get to where he was!

And he must have recognized my footsteps, because he came out right in front of me, like, "Hey, Mom! Here I am! Ready to go home now!"

When I put him in the tank, he pigged out for a while, then fell asleep right outside the food bowl!

What an excursion he had! He will have lots of cool crab stories to tell around the moss pit tonight!

hthecvt

Re: OMG! Crab found in far part of house!

Post by hthecvt » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:43 am

THAT IS NAUGHTY

<3 Gladys, Zeus, Maude, Tango, Pico and Paul! <3

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:48 am

That is quite the hike! Crabs do roam very far in the wild, so that hike might have been VERY good for him! Lucky guy!

Crabbers unite!!!

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:15 pm

Wouldn't get far in my house. A 2yr old, 4yr old and 6yr old that squeal when the see them. Especially the 2 yr old. They love them. Plus 2 cats and 1 very stupid dog (right Megan? Lol) they would be discovered quickly.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:43 pm

That's hilarious but scary! One of my cats loves to play with empty shells if I set one down and forget about it, so if I had an escapee it wouldn't get far.

Yeah, Kelly, Rufus is about as smart as Thor ;)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:01 pm

We found one behind the toilet once. Mr. Krabs is still kickin'.

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:15 pm

On a more somber note, I came home from work early and found a shelless one at the bottom of the steps. Obviously that one didn't make it past the kitten. I got him in a shell and back in the tank.

They are amazing!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:56 pm

OH Noes! :( I hope the next unfortunate is better off. Sounds like your crabs have been watching too much Maze Runner. :lol: (Is it just me?..)
But wow, lucky find.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:43 pm

megmaholm wrote:That's hilarious but scary! One of my cats loves to play with empty shells if I set one down and forget about it, so if I had an escapee it wouldn't get far.

Yeah, Kelly, Rufus is about as smart as Thor ;)
Hahaha!!!
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:06 am

hermieluv1 wrote:What an excursion he had! He will have lots of cool crab stories to tell around the moss pit tonight!
Wowee! What a brave little guy! Maybe he decided to try to locate that missing ocean :lol: . For sure the other crabs will be interested in where he's been as he'll be carrying different smells picked up along his route. You'd better hope that his stories don't encourage the others to give it a try :roll: .
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Beebalm

Post by Beebalm » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:43 pm

What a wanderer! I think it is so cute that he fell right asleep by the food bowl like that...and that he came out when he heard you coming. Little guy knows where he belongs. :)
Mom to 19 PP in 3 tats: Crabzilla, Big Red, Moby, Red Legs, Bluey, Trooper, Scrabbles, Shelly,The Crusher, Snoofus, Finster, Sheep Guy, Cannoli and 6 more smalls...lets get rid of those painted shells and get a name, guys!

kate.e.m.

Post by kate.e.m. » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:35 pm

[quote="hermieluv1"
What an excursion he had! He will have lots of cool crab stories to tell around the moss pit tonight![/quote]

:crabbigsmile:

that cracks me up! before i had a better fitting lid on the tank at the school where i work, i came in and realized that jebediah was missing. he'd recently molted so i didn't think he'd dug down again and he is normally VERY social. so i took everyone and everything out and searched all the substrate. my heart was pounding and i just knew that he'd escaped and something terrible had happened resulting in death. all the teachers with classrooms around me began looking for him. i thought i was going to have a heart attack but no, mr. long found ol' jebediah two classrooms down from me and under a bean bag. i was crying. i left work to go get a new lid right then!

they have no idea how much we love them!

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:36 am

Omg, that is too funny! I was shocked at how fast they move when they are out of the tank!

They are like what we in the car business call "sleepers": you look at an old 4 door "grocery-getter" and laugh.....until the driver punches the throttle and you realize there is a Hemi under the hood!

Form

Post by Form » Mon May 11, 2015 6:07 pm

I accidentally left my tank lid cracked one time after changing water dishes. I noticed it about 45 minutes later. I looked all around the tank and saw no escapees, examined the opening and saw no evidence of sand or anything else, so I assumed all was well and never thought about it again.

Almost 2 weeks later, my wife wakes me up in a panic one night "There's something IN THE ROOM"! We bust out the flashlights, pull back the nightstand, and find our dear friend Turbo trying to claw her way up the wall..

Our crabs are so nocturnal it's rare to see more than 1 at a time anyway, so we hadn't even noticed she was missing, but she seemed no worse for wear. It just proved that we had given her the right name.
2 PPs: Turbo (F), Mike (?)
55g tank
Crabber since ~ Oct 2013