"Communication" with my crabs!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
crabswell

"Communication" with my crabs!

Post by crabswell » Wed May 20, 2015 1:04 am

Hi all! COOL update. So James Crabswell and Dr. Samuel Crabson have been a lot more active and comfortable lately (still a bit skittish sometimes, but a lot less reactive and stressed). I recently watched this video and thought I'd try it on the Doc on one of his more adventurous evenings out. He was all the way up at the back of the tank and, once I started, he IMMEDIATELY climbed down and rushed to my "antenna" fingers to investigate :hi:: . He hung out for a bit, staring at me with his beady eyes and playing antenna games, then he sauntered off to drink (and was not scared of me the rest of the evening).

Because of this success, I decided to try it on the larger Crabswell. He too had the same reaction, rushing over to see me (note that neither of them have EVER shown me ANY interest). As I was continuing the antenna fingers, I accidentally tapped the glass a few times. Surprisingly, he lifted his leg (adorably) and tapped back :shock: . I tapped again, and he tapped back. This went on for a few minutes. Often he would tap back in a similar speed with a similar tap count. It was incredible, and really satisfying to have a brief form of "communication." Eventually he got bored and went back to climbing. But for typically unresponsive crabs (who I don't take out of the tank) this was AMAZING and made me so happy. I'm kicking myself for not taking a video of it. But I'll try to get one next time. Feeling a lot of love for crabbies tonight :crabbigsmile: :love::
Last edited by crabswell on Wed May 20, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asheka

Re: "Communication" with my crabs!

Post by Asheka » Wed May 20, 2015 12:33 pm

Very cool! Would love to see your video when you try again! Once my guys are settled, I'm definitely trying it!
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz

thermidor

Post by thermidor » Mon May 25, 2015 10:56 am

I am in shock. I did this with my least shy crab, a strawberry, and she perked up (Stood a little higher, looked intensely) and then started to amble over! Came all the way to the glass.

Then my mind really clicked into gear. I need to reward her for the behavior so I can train her to come. What could I give as a treat? and how?

Then I remembered that, dusty in a drawer, was the Hermit Crab Patch feeding spoon. I had tried it when I had only PP and of course they ran from it and buried their faces.

Not so with the straw! I put my special blueberry/honey mixture on the spoon; then I waggled at her and presented the spoon. To my surprise, she tasted it and then immediately started dipping her LP and eating it as fast as she could.

That was yesterday and I have repeated this several times. I am really excited about the possibilities of exploring how 'trainable" they are.

I am lucky since I had a Exoterra and can open one side to do this without losing that much humidity.

Once she is reliably trained I will post a video. Thanks crabswell for this idea!

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon May 25, 2015 11:42 am

That is the coolest thing ever!
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon May 25, 2015 1:51 pm

Thanks for posting that video link, crabswell -- it was amazing to see both crabs respond so quickly and I'm delighted to hear that it worked with your crabs as well :D !

thermidor, your story is so sweet, especially the success of the "reward" for responding to your "antenna wave." Felix, the PP I've had for almost 7 years, would always respond to taps on the glass by coming over, stretching up and tapping back. Since moving into the larger 29g tank, he hasn't regarded me as all that interesting :lol: but I'll definitely give the finger wave a try!
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Breeezy

Post by Breeezy » Wed May 27, 2015 10:14 am

When my boyfriend holds his favorite crab, they do this weird thing where he holds out his finger and they like rub fingers/antennas. It is so weird haha! I should take a video too! :hlol:
4 Purple Pinchers (Hodor, Spree, Rosie, Leonardo, and Lucy), 1 Strawberry (Denver), 4 Ecuadorians (Dexter, Leeloo, Ghost, and Dr. Zoidberg)
1 Pembroke Welsh Corgi (Thorin)

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed May 27, 2015 10:48 am

I briefly tried the antenna thing last night. They really responded to it! I hope I'm not swearing at them in hermit crab.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Wed May 27, 2015 3:05 pm

I've tried a couple times with Katniss, as she's my most nervous. She watched, but wouldn't come out from hiding. Hopefully after more time she will.
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.

Form

Post by Form » Wed May 27, 2015 7:29 pm

This is very interesting. For the most part, my crabs have shown little interest in me except as a threat, but after reading this I'll definitely give it another shot (if anyone ever comes back up!).

thermidor, I'd love to see a video of a trained crab, that would be awesome! :lol:
2 PPs: Turbo (F), Mike (?)
55g tank
Crabber since ~ Oct 2013

dinky

Post by dinky » Thu May 28, 2015 4:05 pm

I've done this for years with my crabs and they come right to the glass. Sometimes after a molt they are bashful again, but I just continue to do it each night and talk to them and sure enough it doesn't take long to get them back to coming to see me. Working with my Viola's now, and one is really mellowing out and responding.
Happy owner of 10 pp's, 7 E's, 2 straws, 1 ruggie, 2 viola's, 2 dogs, to many kids to count and one awesome hubby

klowns

Post by klowns » Fri May 29, 2015 7:30 pm

I just did it to one of my e's was pretty funny

Before I started wiggling my fingers he was about eight inches away
Reppin' AZ!

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Fri May 29, 2015 8:38 pm

Definitely gunna have to camp out in front of the tank and try this more!

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Sat May 30, 2015 1:09 pm

THATS AMAZING!
I've done this with Draco and I swear, I have moments where he comes to me when called!! He also seems to enjoy snuggling into the side of my foot ...I move it, and he follows...
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**