streaking

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
hermitcrab24

streaking

Post by hermitcrab24 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:06 pm

I dis not put this under emergency because I have it under control at the moment but need help on what to do now.

I have not yet asked for help because I thought I could handle it myself but now I need help from you all!!

So my hermit crab has been shell shopping for a while and a couple weeks ago I noticed he was not only out of his shell, but he didn't seem to have the intent of moving into another one. He was just walking around shelless. I was worried but had to go to school, so I left him :oops: . When I came home he was in a shell so I didn't think much of it. But a few days later he was naked again!! So I set up a small iso tank and put him in there with about 5 or 6 shells, salt and fresh water, food with extra calcium supplement, and about four or five inches of sand. He found a shell in a matter of hours but I left him in there another day to be safe. I put him back in the main tank and he seemed to be doing fine. But today I came home and he was naked yet again!!!! I once again moved him to the iso tank and he moved into a shell immediately. He is still in there because I am not sure what to do. I cant keep moving him back and forth I know it must be causing him stress. What should I do?

Thanks in advance,
Bonnie

pandaincognito

Re: streaking

Post by pandaincognito » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:07 am

How big is he? How many shells close to his size do you have? Ive never had a naked crab, knock on wood, but maybe you could try cleaning the shells and then offering them to him. Im sure someone who has gone through this will know better. Than me, but thats all o cam suggest, not having any experience with naked crabs
-------
2 small pp, smeegle (m), shellshock (m); 1 small/medium pp, shelldon (f), 1 medium/large pp, Godzilla (m)
1 dog, bender the min pin. And one betta named Henry. I dont know if its a boy or a girl, its still pretty young.

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:57 am

He is probably a small medium. He has about four shells close to his size but he continually chooses a shell that is too big for him. I'll try cleaning them, maybe the sand bothers home or something.

mool

Post by mool » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:44 pm

I would keep him in iso until his next molt or until he passes away. Un-shelled crabs do not have a great survival rate, sadly.

Keep the conditions perfect and offer high quality foods and hope for the best.

Also, get him some shells that are completely polished of the outer coating and are only white. These shells weigh a lot less and are easier for weak crabs to carry. Walmart, Target, and other stores carry bags of thin, over polished shells in their craft sections. They are usually used for decor, but can serve as emergency homes to weakened crabs. Just make sure you boil them per usual and make sure they don't have any hole in them.

Good luck!

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:54 pm

Thank you. He is in a shell now, do you still think is chances are low? He seems fine other than refusing to find a temporary shell. He eats fine, is very active and overall appears to be normal.

mool

Post by mool » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:41 pm

I think he has as good of a chance as any! The fact that he is reshelled is a great sign!
I would continue to think of him as being fragile until he survives a molt.

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:23 pm

Ok, thank you so much! :)