Nightmare

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
KellyCrabbieLove

Nightmare

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:54 am

After finding 11 dead during my deep clean I had hoped the night mare was over. Instead, I came home from the pet store with new crushed coral for my pools and new plants to a crab that surface molted in a cork round. At least he was safe. He went into the iso tank. Then a dead naked crab that had surface molted and been dragged from its shell and killed while I was gone. I had to dig...my tank was in desperate need...but now I have 12 dead and 2 in iso. It is awful to lose so many babies. I was shopping for another 125 for after I did the deep clean but wasn't sure where I was going to put it. Now I am having problems wanting to keep crabbing. With Thor gone I feel heartbroken. I was talked into taking a baby home at the pet store and thought maybe she could cheer me up. She is doing good and is happy as can be exploring the tank and meeting her big brothers and sisters. Honestly, had I not brought her home I might have been removing everyone with a heavy, broken heart.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Nightmare

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:03 pm

I am very sorry for your loss! :( Don't give up! Keep rescuing ~ the crabs need you! Look at it that way! I hope you figure out why you lost so many. Try to stay positive!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

crabbyjo

Post by crabbyjo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:08 pm

I have only been crabbing for 7 months & this just breaks my heart for you!! I hope you don't mind if I ask a question also. Is it typical to find some dead crabs during a deep clean? I have 6 crabs & only have seen 4 of them for a very long time. I thought they were molting. Would there not be the death smell?

I hope I am not making you feel worse by asking this. Thank you.

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:01 pm

I remember when I put in a new deep water bowl and got really excited and then presumably the silicone killed 2. it was awful. I can't imagine how loosing 12 must be :( Stay optimistic! You're a great crabber and we are all here for you :grouphug:
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

Topic author
KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks everyone. My life has been super crazy lately so I didn't see there were responses. I am about to clean out their pools today and give them fresh crushed coral in the bottom of them. 2.5 gal each pool so they can swim and hangout underwater if they want. Silly hermits like to leave poop in the pools. BIG POOP!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above