Warning to E owners (or those who may be thinking about it)

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
hermieluv1

Warning to E owners (or those who may be thinking about it)

Post by hermieluv1 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:34 am

Hi, everyone! It has been a long time since I have been on here...as usual, life got in the way. Mainly, caring for my elderly mother, who finally passed last September. I am just now getting back into my crabbing again, even though I was caring for them, I wasn't really spending any significant time or effort on them.

Anyway, I had adopted 4 E's a while back, who all seemed to transition nicely into my 55 gallon. I also had a 29 gallon with about 6 small pp's. The 55 had the 4 E's and about 12 small with a few medium pp's. It was like this for months with no apparent problems.

It wasn't until a month ago that it seemed like I was seeing fewer crabs. So as I started keeping track of who was missing, then I knew something was wrong. And it was all pp's that were gone. I had caught one in the act previously of attacking a mother, but thought it was an isolated incident. How wrong I was.

So this week, I gave myself the very sad chore of doing a deep clean of the sub (only 1 mother down and he was just starting so is in iso), and found at least 8 shells with partial remains. I am just devastated. I don't know for sure if was all the E's, but I bought a used 44 gallon corner tank and they are by themselves now. And I haven't lost anymore so far.

I also noticed a problem with the lower inch or so of sub. It was awfully damp, so I am going to add vent tubes every few inches along the front and back of the walls so moisture can escape. Even with a false bottom, there is no way for excess to rise and evaporate. I did make the mistake early in my crabbing life of spraying the whole tank for humidity, instead of just the moss pits.

So, I hope this helps prevent anyone else from having to suffer losses like this. It is truly heartbreaking.

isadoraisacat

Re: Warning to E owners (or those who may be thinking about

Post by isadoraisacat » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:16 am

This is why i don't want es from what i hear their murderous. Sorry for your loss it's horrific.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:29 am

Good to know... Es get their own digs in hypothetical future!
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

mool

Post by mool » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:35 am

Thanks for sharing your experience and I'm sorry that it happened. :(

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:20 pm

My heart goes out to u!

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:23 pm

E's get a bad rap. Mine have never caused any problems.

Usually, aggression is linked to overcrowding, not enough shell choices in the shapes that they prefer, or not enough protein in their diets.

We have had a couple of members in the past rehome E's because they were aggressive in their colonies, but never had any issues in their new homes.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:24 pm

E's also need deep substrate and plenty of room to dig.

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:16 pm

soilentgringa wrote:E's get a bad rap. Mine have never caused any problems.

Usually, aggression is linked to overcrowding, not enough shell choices in the shapes that they prefer, or not enough protein in their diets.

We have had a couple of members in the past rehome E's because they were aggressive in their colonies, but never had any issues in their new homes.

Are they also cannibalistic with in their kind or do they mostly attack other species ?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:19 pm

isadoraisacat wrote:

Are they also cannibalistic with in their kind or do they mostly attack other species ?

Any species of crab will cannibalize if the proper conditions aren't provided or they smell a freshly surface molted crab.

Cannibalism in land hermit crabs is not normal and is usually linked to other issues.

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:21 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
isadoraisacat wrote:

Any species of crab will cannibalize if the proper conditions aren't provided or they smell a freshly surface molted crab.

Cannibalism in land hermit crabs is not normal and is usually linked to other issues.

Makes sense was just curious because all i hear about es is their cannibals. But i see the reasons why
isadoraisacat wrote:

MadiCrab

Post by MadiCrab » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:40 pm

hermieluv1 wrote:Hi, everyone! It has been a long time since I have been on here...as usual, life got in the way. Mainly, caring for my elderly mother, who finally passed last September. I am just now getting back into my crabbing again, even though I was caring for them, I wasn't really spending any significant time or effort on them.

Anyway, I had adopted 4 E's a while back, who all seemed to transition nicely into my 55 gallon. I also had a 29 gallon with about 6 small pp's. The 55 had the 4 E's and about 12 small with a few medium pp's. It was like this for months with no apparent problems.

It wasn't until a month ago that it seemed like I was seeing fewer crabs. So as I started keeping track of who was missing, then I knew something was wrong. And it was all pp's that were gone. I had caught one in the act previously of attacking a mother, but thought it was an isolated incident. How wrong I was.

So this week, I gave myself the very sad chore of doing a deep clean of the sub (only 1 mother down and he was just starting so is in iso), and found at least 8 shells with partial remains. I am just devastated. I don't know for sure if was all the E's, but I bought a used 44 gallon corner tank and they are by themselves now. And I haven't lost anymore so far.

I also noticed a problem with the lower inch or so of sub. It was awfully damp, so I am going to add vent tubes every few inches along the front and back of the walls so moisture can escape. Even with a false bottom, there is no way for excess to rise and evaporate. I did make the mistake early in my crabbing life of spraying the whole tank for humidity, instead of just the moss pits.

So, I hope this helps prevent anyone else from having to suffer losses like this. It is truly heartbreaking.
So sorry!!Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:05 am

It's not that E's are just straight cannibals, it's the fact that they are much more inclined to dig than purple pinchers, so they are more likely to come across each other underground. Like soilentgringa said, any crab will take opportunity if they stumble across it, like any scavenger would. And unfortunately, there will always be a chance a crab will stumble upon another underground, even with perfect conditions and deep sub. As far as the OP goes, I think Soilent probably nailed it on the head with Pps, so I will just leave it at that.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:02 am

Rawrgeous wrote:It's not that E's are just straight cannibals, it's the fact that they are much more inclined to dig than purple pinchers, so they are more likely to come across each other underground. Like soilentgringa said, any crab will take opportunity if they stumble across it, like any scavenger would. And unfortunately, there will always be a chance a crab will stumble upon another underground, even with perfect conditions and deep sub. As far as the OP goes, I think Soilent probably nailed it on the head with Pps, so I will just leave it at that.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk
Thank makes sense I'm always nervous when my crabs play dig when someone is molting even with my 6 inches of sub.

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:39 am

Thanks for the replies and kind words. I have at least 8-10" of good sub in a 55 gallon tank, which might have been ,and was, fine for pp's, but for the overactive E's, knowing now what I do, well, I would have just put them alone to begin with, but I think they need a lot more room, both above and below. They CONSTANTLY are on the move, day and night! Fun to watch, but a terror to molters. Lesson learned.

Topic author
hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:40 am

And have plenty of shells too. Maybe just never enough.