Does everyone's crabs try to escape all the time?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Does everyone's crabs try to escape all the time?

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:44 am

Hilarious with the Eye of the Tiger!!! :hlol: Great video Kermie!! Thanks Rawrgeous :wink:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks guys! GB, truly grateful to you! The hamster wheel has been a wonderful addition to our tank! I'm hoping some of my other guys are getting some use of it while I'm asleep:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:37 pm

You just wait...did you see the sand build up on my wheels? LOL...I need to add more wheels to my tanks. However..down here those wheels are $19.99 at Petco...that's insane!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:34 pm

GotButterflies wrote:You just wait...did you see the sand build up on my wheels? LOL...I need to add more wheels to my tanks. However..down here those wheels are $19.99 at Petco...that's insane!!
Well, I finally got my wheel. I modified it last night. Now I have to do some major rearranging in my tat so they can use it safely. :) Thanks again for the links. Whomever came up with the idea of using a hamster wheel in a crabitat was a genius.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Yeah Daws!!!! Mlakers told us about it when her hermits where breeding. . Can't wait to see pictures!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nate the great

Post by Nate the great » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:35 pm

DarthKrab wrote:Aside from eating, drinking, moss munching, and what not of course. Is this normal?

Also, I've read about crabs comparing sizes. I've had four crabs for a year now and I haven't seen this yet :( I'm hardly ever in the same room so I can't say they haven't done it. Just that whenever I AM in here I've never seen it. And I've just sat here for quite some time every now and then admiring them and laughing :P
yes.
Currently the caretaker for:
Six hermies in 37G bow front, and two more in a ten-gallon tank.

I build websites, and blog about ebooks.

annedow9

Post by annedow9 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Kermie16 wrote:Honestly if any of ours escaped, some of my family members would really freak out Image So, I have the FW spray bottle and a container full of beads along with a large, fairly heavy stone, sitting on top of our tank. I followed what GB did and added the hamster wheel in our tank and Mike, our only crab that is up day and night, is the only one who has figured out how to use it. He is molting now, but when he was up, he was on that wheel almost all day and night! Truly so fun to watch!!!!

i found a wheel but it was metal with a plastic coating. Is that ok to use?

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:03 pm

Mine is a plastic wheel but the stand is metal with plastic coating so if that is similar
to what you have, then yes:) it should be fine.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:26 pm

I have the same wheel as Kermie. I think it's called a silent spinner made by kaytee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk